Jump to content

Winning...the economy under Trump

Politics   (327,922 Views 1,380 Comments)
18,670 Visitors; 2,281 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.

You are reading page 106 of Winning...the economy under Trump. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

1 hour ago, Tweety said:

People are indeed blaming Trump for the stock market fall but granted not here.  I have a friend that truly has Trump Derangement Syndrome to the point of being unreasonable so I might have been thinking of him and people like him. 

I completely disagree that Trump will die as the stock market dies.  He can do no wrong.  His rally in South Carolina was full of his adoring fans.

Trump does not necessarily "live by the stock market".  He lives and survives by fear mongering, corruption and lies.  Just for starters.

He lives by the stock market for two reasons.

First, he is always touting it, like he, and his policies alone, are responsible for its highs.

Secondly, I have read enough interviews with Trumpsters who repeat over and over, that as long as their 401k looks good, they are okay their leader.

That is the very definition of living and dying by the stock market, in my opinion.

If you think I am wrong, why do you think his economic advisers are doing all they can to quell fears over coronavirus?

They know perfectly well that their leader is in trouble.

I don't think Larry Kudlow knows a thing about public health. But he knows Trump's future depends upon that stock market getting out of the crapper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tweety said:

About the stock market.  It does put Trump in a bit of a pickle since he's put so much of his success on it, but really one can't say a virus around the globe is his fault.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/28/perspectives/coronavirus-federal-reserve-rate-cuts/index.html

Certainly the virus is not his fault. 

His stupid budget priorities and incompetent and corrupt governing style have some responsibility for the spread of the virus.  There's sound and wise reasoning behind the USA investing deeply in EID research in China. Trump didn't agree. 

In the clinical setting we shouldn't worry about politics, just about impeccable protocol.  Regardless, politics will affect supply logistics, medication logistics, and messaging.  Clinicians will be foolish to ignore the politics of this threat.  Trump's politics are not benign...they are weaponized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, toomuchbaloney said:

Certainly the virus is not his fault. 

His stupid budget priorities and incompetent and corrupt governing style have some responsibility for the spread of the virus.  There's sound and wise reasoning behind the USA investing deeply in EID research in China. Trump didn't agree. 

In the clinical setting we shouldn't worry about politics, just about impeccable protocol.  Regardless, politics will affect supply logistics, medication logistics, and messaging.  Clinicians will be foolish to ignore the politics of this threat.  Trump's politics are not benign...they are weaponized.

I don't think American policies have caused the virus to spread.  As time goes on and it spreads here, I believe this will be true.  But with the stock market crashing because of the virus overseas, I'm not sure we can pin that on him.

Edited by Tweety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, toomuchbaloney said:

His stupid budget priorities and incompetent and corrupt governing style have some responsibility for the spread of the virus. 

Actually, the action he took in January has slowed it's spread to our shores and has given us more time to prepare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lucylu71 said:

Actually, the action he took in January has slowed it's spread to our shores and has given us more time to prepare.

Sure.

His dramatic cuts to the EID teams in China and other countries didn't impact anything, didn't slow any responses or coordination and certainly didn't negatively impact our learning curve about this new virus...that's the belief in the cult. 

Trump's teams actions are very likely reasonable for the community spread of the virus in the USA. The cult is probably largely unaware of the poorly trained and unprotected HHS staffers who were allowed to freely travel after being exposed (intentionally) to quarantined Americans on a military base. No one was prepared for that level of arrogant stupidity from the director of HHS.

Trump is so well prepared the USA is scrambling for basic needs...test kits and simple masks.

Did you know that California is monitoring over 8000 people and Trump's planning had only supplied them with a couple hundred test kits late last week? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, toomuchbaloney said:

Sure.

His dramatic cuts to the EID teams in China and other countries didn't impact anything, didn't slow any responses or coordination and certainly didn't negatively impact our learning curve about this new virus...that's the belief in the cult. 

Trump's teams actions are very likely reasonable for the community spread of the virus in the USA. The cult is probably largely unaware of the poorly trained and unprotected HHS staffers who were allowed to freely travel after being exposed (intentionally) to quarantined Americans on a military base. No one was prepared for that level of arrogant stupidity from the director of HHS.

Trump is so well prepared the USA is scrambling for basic needs...test kits and simple masks.

Did you know that California is monitoring over 8000 people and Trump's planning had only supplied them with a couple hundred test kits late last week? 

Yes.

I knew about CA not having enough test kits, baloney.

There is now a third case on the west coast that appears to be community acquired.

A moron would continue to call the pandemic a "hoax" and spin rosy predictions.

A moron or a dictator.

It is hard to tell which noun best suits Trump, at this point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tweety said:

I don't think American policies have caused the virus to spread.  As time goes on and it spreads here, I believe this will be true.  But with the stock market crashing because of the virus overseas, I'm not sure we can pin that on him.

The stock market is a gambling game.

It reflects investors perceptions, which may or may not reflect reality.

I guess you could also look at it as a sort of vote of confidence, by investors.

Which is why I HATE having my retirement funds tied to a roulette wheel.

But at least as a quasi-state employee, I am guaranteed a rate of return of 4%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lil Nel said:

The stock market is a gambling game.

It reflects investors perceptions, which may or may not reflect reality.

I guess you could also look at it as a sort of vote of confidence, by investors.

Which is why I HATE having my retirement funds tied to a roulette wheel.

But at least as a quasi-state employee, I am guaranteed a rate of return of 4%.

A 4% guarantee would be awesome.  While last year was good, my funds dropped $30K in a week and it's painful to watch last year's gains disappear.  At 60 years old I hate that my future is tied up in a gamble.  But I'm also too young and very health with longevity in my family to just be safe only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tweety said:

A 4% guarantee would be awesome.  While last year was good, my funds dropped $30K in a week and it's painful to watch last year's gains disappear.  At 60 years old I hate that my future is tied up in a gamble.  But I'm also too young and very health with longevity in my family to just be safe only.

I like my guaranteed rate of return!

Of course, I took a pay cut to get it.

But prefer it to a game of chance, what is exactly what a 401k is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tweety said:

A 4% guarantee would be awesome.  While last year was good, my funds dropped $30K in a week and it's painful to watch last year's gains disappear.  At 60 years old I hate that my future is tied up in a gamble.  But I'm also too young and very health with longevity in my family to just be safe only.

It depends on how close to retiring one is.  If its 7 or 8 years or longer, 4 percent isn't good. 15 years or more, it's terrible.

$30k doesn't tell much depending on what your total portfolio is.  If your retiring soon,  you should be in lower risk funds.  For example, even after last week if you invested $10k in Vanguard's 2025 fund you'd still have $11,300 today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lucylu71 said:

$30k doesn't tell much depending on what your total portfolio is.  If your retiring soon,  you should be in lower risk funds.  For example, even after last week if you invested $10k in Vanguard's 2025 fund you'd still have $11,300 today. 

Regardless of the lucky one's with Vanguard 2025 fund, there is no denying the stock market took a nosedive.  Even when Googling "Vanguard 2025 fund" it's graph is on a downward swing and it says year to date 0%, so I'm not sure which Vanguard 2025 fund you're talking about.  Again, there is no denying the market took a nosedive.

I'm 60 years old, and ten years from retirement and there's longevity in my family and I have none of the chronic illnesses or diseases that plague my generation and plan on living at least 30 or 40 more years, so it makes sense that I'm in the stock market for me personally even though there are no guarantees.  People that plan on living past their retirement date should not necessarily get out of the stock market.   That said, I'm not that smart when it comes to investing and have an advisor and I tend not to panic during it's ups and downs but was merely commenting.

Edited by Tweety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tweety said:

Even when Googling "Vanguard 2025 fund" it's graph is on a downward swing and it says year to date 0%, so I'm not sure which Vanguard 2025 fund you're talking about.  Again, there is no denying the market took a nosedive.

I didn't word that right.  I meant if you'd had invested $10k one year ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.