Jump to content
Tweety Tweety (New Member) New Member

Wednesday August 15, 2018

  (283 Views 11 Comments)
6 Followers; 49,799 Visitors; 27,978 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.

Good Morning!

Interesting article about Justice. Hope it works out. So sad the abuse he went through.

BC, sorry you didn't like the texture of the jackfruit. You really have to squeeze the hell out of it to get all the brine out. Still it's not for everyone. I'm not one that cares about texture of my foods like some people are. Yesterday, I made the farro and white bean salad which was good as basic. I also made the standards as I was running out of time: beans and quinoa for lunches and spaghetti for dinners.

Got a call that I was put on call. It's an overtime shift so I guess I'm not needed. The annoying thing is that on call is until 3pm. If I got replaced with a float team member, another unit could be in need and I could have to come in and cover her so she can float. Increasing the odds of being called in. Already have breakfast made so will eat, but might avoid the coffee so as to go back to sleep for a bit. Not sure what else to do with the day.

I'd be o.k. not working as I don't like working 3 in a row like that.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning Tweety

Fairly good day work wise yesterday, got my hair cut, ran some errands and exercised

Woke up early, fell back to sleep and had strange dreams. Funny I can barely remember them

Meeting J tonight for dinner near my place, we haven't done that in a while

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


Your diet sounds enviably healthy, Tweety. My lunch is usually a pre-packed sandwich from one of the hospital's shops. I go through phases of preparing home-made salads, but it doesn't last!

Busy clinic this morning with loads of potentials for our Biobank study.

I despatched my colleagues to round 'em up, which was absolutely the right use of the team skill-mix, but it burned because I LOVE SIGNING PEOPLE UP FOR STUDIES!

It's my favourite part of the job.

Cold approach to a new patient, and you've got just a couple of minutes to make a good impression, explain a quite technical and involved trial without putting them off, answer any questions accurately and reassuringly, and leave them with the participation info material, knowing that you sold it and they're going to sign up.

Anyway, low-intervention studies like biobanks get high recruitment numbers, which makes everybody look good.

Meanwhile, I've been playing with dry ice, getting the processed samples from Monday's more intensive study visit off to central labs in Europe.

I like a bit of lab work - my role involves just enough of it so it doesn't become a chore.

Be happy!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Edited to add: Crosspost! Morning, Joe!

oh... okay... that was a new comment box, NOT the 'editing' textbox?

Meh, I can live with it.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning all.

So, are you saying you could potentially be called in to work four hours, Tweety?

You are so funny, Phil! I bet you are fun to work with. I am jealous, NHS for dental care!!!

Busy day yesterday.

I got more of the beautiful brussel sprouts from the organic farm, and some tomatoes.

I have already eaten all of the brussel sprouts.

Phone banked for a couple of hours for Amy McGrath. I actually talked to two people who had no idea who she is, and whether she is Democrat or Republican.

These people must live under a rock. The primary was in May, the election is less than 90 days away. Geez.

The young woman from my barn came out to meet Wally, and get the lay of my place.

She fell in love with Wally. Everybody does!!

School starts today. YAY!!!

Hopefully, it will be less crowded at the barn in the afternoons. I like having the place to myself.

Working tonight and tomorrow night.

Work called yesterday afternoon to ask if I would work any of my nights off this week.


Hope the smoke from Canadian wildfires isn't as bad today, nursej.

Glad you are starting BCT, dlunurse. Hope it works out well for you.

Have a great day, all.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Busy, busy here today. I read you all, and will try to come back later to post.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning all!

Have not read through the past two weeks' worth of posts, but I HAVE read through today's.

Just wanted a quiet catch-up time before heading out again.

Yesterday was travel day back from Paris to Chicago with a plane change there and then flying into LAX.

Picked up on time by pre-arranged driver and delivered to home at 8:30pm.

I really don't know, with the time changes, how long I was up yesterday.

Set an alarm for 6:30am Paris time; plane departed 11:30am; arrived home 8:30pm CA time.

Am half-unpacked, enough to start a load of laundry last night (dh was nice enough to do that!).

Today must finish that and pack for the bluegrass festival.

We need to go grocery shopping and stock the RV.

Have discussed the option of leaving tomorrow; we would prefer arriving at the festival today, but will see how I hold up and what we can get done!

Those of you who followed via FB, thank you!

It was an amazing (and ambitious) road trip! My SIL is a master planner!

AND that France is a truly beautiful country!

We drove from Paris to the East, in Rupt-sur-Moselle, then drove through a bit of Switzerland to arrive at St. Gervais-les-Bains, at a little chalet with a stunning view of Mont Blanc. It was warm and we watched a thunderstorm roll over the Mont and down to us. It had cleared by morning. I have a boatload of photos of the Mont in various moods, as the clouds rolled through.

Then we drove 7 hr to the West, to arrive in the medieval town (of which there are MANY) of Verteuil-sur-Charente. There is a chateau in the center of town, but only the gardens are open for tours as the occupants, it seems, do not want ppl wandering through their abode. ;)

We met up with friends there and took some nice walks to the river. E (my SIL) swam in the river one hot afternoon but I just went ankle-deep (tenderfoot here, and the riverbed was rocky). Ankle-deep was pleasant enough!

We stayed in E's niece's friend's home nearby, which looked like something out of House Beautiful!

Spent two nights there, visiting and seeing local old churches.

Crossed a river using a pulley system and a little barge. You step onto the barge and pull the rope/cable, which moves the barge to the landing on the other side of the river. Fun!

Then we drove down towards the area where are located the caves of Lascaux.

Stayed in a little town on a last-minute booking, enjoyed dinner at a cafe on the river as the sun went down, and in the morning discovered it was Open Air Market day right near the large church! We quickly walked through, as we had a tour appointment at Lascaux. Bought some souvenirs for friends.

We arrived late for our appointment at the caves, unfortunately but they squeezed us in for a later tour, in English. We had time for lunch and a browse through the gift shop.

The caves were absolutely amazing and stunning! It is so hard to describe them -- words just don't do justice to them, or frankly to any of the many places we visited. Photos even fall well short of the mark! No, we were not allowed to take photos while in the caves but I did purchase a nice book to show dh.

We next drove down the road where E had tickets to another cave tour, Grotto de Grand-Roc which turned out to be a real live (haha) cave: a constant 16 degrees all year, sound was muffled and we walked a path that wound around past stalactites and stalagmites (don't go if you are claustrophobic; it was not one of those grand soaring caves), listening to stories told by the guide (who, BTW, repeated them in English for me and in Spanish for a group behind us!).

The Dordogne region is the place of huge overhanging limestone cliffs, which in centuries past was quarried for building.

On our way to the Grotto tour we walked around the Castle of Losse, and were able to go on a short tour of its interior.

We stayed in Les Eyzies, very picturesque town with one main but very active main street at night: music came from a dj across the street from where we ate. Our room was in a BnB a short walk from the main street.

The next day we drove up part of the Massif Central, a huge plateau kind of in the center of France.

Drove through Massiac and Issoire (stopped to eat there, bought more souvenirs). Visited some of E's friends, walked through a small chapel overlooking Massiac -- indeed we had a sweeping 360 degree view from this lovely site. The chapel was once part of a castle, of which only bits of stone rubble remain. The site has long been a place of worship, and this chapel was built in the 12th century. Wall painting inside the chapel date from the 14th century.

We also walked around town in the afternoon, and E's niece found a 15-min walk to Moulin a vert -- an abandoned windmill!

This turned out to be a 15-min uphill walk on a rocky road, but the end point was worth it! Great views from the summit, and the old windmill, to boot!

We stayed in a small area hotel (had a fabulous fish dinner in the hotel restaurant), then drove to Paris the next day, where E had an apartment reserved. I stayed that night and the next, and left to fly home on the 14th.

My last night in Paris, E's niece joined us (she has an apartment in Paris as well) and after riding the Metro and doing a little shopping, we walked to the Gare de Leon (like Grand Central Station) and had a very nice dinner at a restaurant in the station, Le Train Bleu. Look it up online, the wall murals and paintings are incredible, depicting a lot of the cities the trains travel to.

Then we took a leisurely walk along the Seine, on the Left Bank, passing people out enjoying the warm evening: a group danced to tango music, another group danced to more lively music with plenty of people playing drums and rhythm with shakers and just plainly enjoying themselves!

The sun had set and as we crossed a bridge to the Right Bank making our way "home," saw the Notre Dame cathedral and spotted the Eiffel Tower beacon rotating through the darkness. We arrived home around midnight, what a great way to spend the last night in France.

Now I need to break away and begin preparations for the festival!

Will catch up another time. dunno when I will be on next, for the next few days.

Hugs to all.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoah.... the "like" button seems insufficient!

(Despite it being so close, my visits to France have been of the stereotypical "day trip to Calais" variety.)

Your trip, however, was Travelling Done Right.

Thanks for sharing that!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome back, Dianah!

Seems like you had a wonderful trip. Enjoy the blue grass festival.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, its still smoky here. I woke up with painful eyes, and a dry cough. I copied this picture from CNN, it is Seattle, but it is just as smoky here.


The sun this morning looked like a red ball in the sky, just like the song.

Dianah, what a wonderful trip you had. And now off to a Bluegrass festival. Whew!

Phil, you too seem to get the most out of everyday; working with experienced professionals really helps.

Nel, yes, its nearly back to school. I was at a coalition meeting yesterday morning that didn't have too many people in attendance, as many are teachers and they are getting ready. I have a few kiddos booked this afternoon for back to school shots.

I didn't have to pack a lunch today; it's potluck today to celebrate a retirement. I brought a macaroni salad.

Joe, have an enjoyable dinner.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just returned from visiting step-Mom. One of the women's son was visiting. Usually he can only make it on weekends.

Tomorrow I go to the headache clinic. I think I'm doing great with just two headaches since July 4th.

Will pick up husband soon.

It is still too hot to do much work before the sun goes down except in this room, with it's window air conditioner.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites