Jump to content
Tweety Tweety (Member) Expert Nurse

The President Joe Biden Thread

Politics   (1,924 Views 56 Comments)
6 Followers; 54,209 Visitors; 29,816 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.

You are reading page 3 of The President Joe Biden Thread. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

5 hours ago, Lil Nel said:

A lockdown would be a good start.

I believe I heard WHO advised Italy to lock down for six weeks.  I think if all of America shut down for six weeks, everyone staying at home but for the obvious exceptions we could get a handle on it.  

But that isn't going to happen.  It certainly isn't going to happen while Trump is in office.  Certainly isn't going to happen here in Florida where the Republicans decline to put it on the agenda for the next week, as other states are grappling with it and our rate of positivity now stands at 8%.

Even Democrats are loathe to lock down.

Also pushback would be severe from the American people.  I'm not a good one to talk because I've had a good financial year working overtime because of covid and will have the same income regardless.  Economic issues aside, it also will take cooperation by the public.  Here in Florida we're wide open and it's business as usual and people are gathering as if there is no pandemic.

This is kind of what I mean when I say it's too late.  We're having over 100,000  to 150,000 cases a day and January 20th is a long time away giving this situation.

Edited by Tweety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tweety said:

I believe I heard WHO advised Italy to lock down for six weeks.  I think if all of America shut down for six weeks, everyone staying at home but for the obvious exceptions we could get a handle on it.  

But that isn't going to happen.  It certainly isn't going to happen while Trump is in office.  Certainly isn't going to happen here in Florida where the Republicans decline to put it on the agenda for the next week, as other states are grappling with it and our rate of positivity now stands at 8%.

Even Democrats are loathe to lock down.

Also pushback would be severe from the American people.  I'm not a good one to talk because I've had a good financial year working overtime because of covid and will have the same income regardless.  Economic issues aside, it also will take cooperation by the public.  Here in Florida we're wide open and it's business as usual and people are gathering as if there is no pandemic.

This is kind of what I mean when I say it's too late.  We're having over 100,000  to 150,000 cases a day and January 20th is a long time away giving this situation.

We are quickly running out of hospital space and healthcare workers in many parts of the country.

I suppose the message will hit the anti-maskers hard, when they are the recipient of rationed healthcare.

My facility can't hire travel nurses. There are few to be had in the area. Travel nurses are going to areas like ND and TX, paying the big bucks.

So while my state isn't as hard hit as yours, we are still feeling the effects of a shortage of nurses and techs.

I am not interested in working OT, beyond my one, forced OT shift a month.

My facility is paying a $300 bonus for shifts. I enjoy my life and time off, so much, that $300 bonus on top of OT pay, doesn't entice me.

And it didn't have to be this way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lil Nel said:

And it didn't have to be this way.

I was reading a sad interview with a covid nurse and how it was for her to see and hear regret in persons struggling to breath.  They downplayed it, or just "took their chances".  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lil Nel said:

And it didn't have to be this way.

We're not a very patient society. We . . . want what we want when we want it. Immediately. This is most evident in how we are responding to Covid-19. This virus is gonna be around until a safe and effective vaccine is developed and distributed. (And, it looks like a vaccine is well underway in being developed and distributed.) It's not going to go away until then. In the meanwhile, I see people not wearing masks in grocery stores, or not covering their entire face as recommended. People are moaning like immature brats (including myself!) for having to continue to wear masks, for having to continue to Social Distance, for having to continue to keep gatherings of individuals to a minimum (like church services, sport events, concert events, etc., etc.), and for having to frequently wash our hands. Still, these are all measures that help quell the spread of Covid-19. They work. . . but only if we work it.

Trump feeds into our impatience. He encourages our frustration. He even goes as far as to set the opposite example of what should be taken to help slow down the spread of this virus. Recent Trump Rallies are creating multiple "Red Zones" as the virus quickly spreads from the individuals who attended these rallies, with many attendees found to be not wearing masks, and the attendees clumped together like a rancid can of sardines.  Trump is a dangerous fool. He is FAR from Presidential material. And, quite frankly, because of Trump's initial and CONTINUED response to Covid-19, Trump has blood on his hands as fellow United States citizens die from this virus. Yes! Trump Has Blood on His Hands.

. . . and it did not have to be this way.

Still, people support this dangerous fool. Unbelievable.

Here's the irony with all of this. We've only been needing to manage our lives in the "Age of Covid-19" for a relatively short period of time. It hasn't even been a full year since we've all been aware of this highly contagious virus. We're not a very patient society. (And I am speaking for myself as well as for everyone else.)

To be honest, Biden was not my first or second choice during the primaries. Still, I prefer Biden over Trump. My hope is that Biden will set the example, that we need from a leader, to be patient and to continue to practice what needs to be done to help slow down the spread of this virus. Biden has quite the challenge ahead of him, though. We're all facing this challenge. Covid-19 is spreading like wild fire. Again.



 

Edited by Ted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tweety said:

I was reading a sad interview with a covid nurse and how it was for her to see and hear regret in persons struggling to breath.  They downplayed it, or just "took their chances".  

 

I have cared for several post-Covid patients.

One told me she was an anti-masker, until she contracted the virus, and passed it on to her husband and daughter.

Now, she is ANGRY that Trump did nothing to stop the spread of Coronavirus.

She was lucky. Diabetic and obese, she recovered nicely, despite being very sick and hospitalized at UK, where the sickest patients go.

Had another patient, who took precautions, no underlying health conditions, and he ended up at UK, on ECMO.

No reason why the healthiest of these two was the sickest with the virus. 

But the husband of the first patient I mentioned, wasn't doing so well. He had cardiac issues prior to Covid, and while his wife was discharging from our facility, he was still very, very, sick at OSH.

These people are real, and their stories are real.

The mother of a nurse I used to work with, died of Coronavirus. The brother of my cleaning lady, died of Covid.

I think the deniers are just so scared, they refuse to believe the truth, as it is scary.

But I find comfort in taking precautions. It gives me a small sense of control, in an out of control pandemic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 5:40 AM, Tweety said:

I believe I heard WHO advised Italy to lock down for six weeks.  I think if all of America shut down for six weeks, everyone staying at home but for the obvious exceptions we could get a handle on it.  

Isnt that what we did in any places?  It seems we just kicked the can down the road a bit.

What's magical about 6 weeks?  What's going to happen then?  What makes you think we'll have a handle on it then if we havent  got handle on it in 7 months? 

Many places that were shut down for a certain time, and then that time got exended.  Many, who went long with it the first time arent going to a second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 1:26 PM, Tweety said:

I was reading a sad interview with a covid nurse and how it was for her to see and hear regret in persons struggling to breath.  They downplayed it, or just "took their chances".  

 

For me, I dont downplay it.  But, I do take my chances at times.  It seems like I do a risk/reward analysis a few times a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Ted said:

We're not a very patient society. We . . . want what we want when we want it. Immediately. This is most evident in how we are responding to Covid-19. This virus is gonna be around until a safe and effective vaccine is developed and distributed. (And, it looks like a vaccine is well underway in being developed and distributed.) 

It's going to be way past that.  I've heard many coworkers, friends, family say they wont take it.  

I think I'll wait and see.  I feel I'm more likely then not to get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lucylu71 said:

For me, I dont downplay it.  But, I do take my chances at times.  It seems like I do a risk/reward analysis a few times a day.

Oh I do too.  I go to the gym, yoga class, bowling and restaurants because we're wide open here in Florida.  But I consider the risk worth it because I always wear a mask, and in all situations people are six feet away from me. (On the yoga mat we don't wear masks as it's hot yoga, but the instructor has a mask by city mandate, and we wear masks off the mat.  Also masks are not mandated in gyms like grocery stores and although I wear one most people don't, but I'm very careful to go during off hours and stay away from people).  We have a city mandate for masks, but the governor (Trump's lap dog) has passed a law saying the city can't enforce it.

Our rate of positivity in this county is below the Florida average and for two weeks today it's 6.6 (or close to it)

So if I get covid, outside of a work exposure (I've been exposed twice that I know of by patients I've taken care of), then I can chalk it up to my own decisions but I won't live with too much regret.  

What I wouldn't do is not wear a mask, go to an a rally maskless, go to a crowded event like a concert, a bar/club or a church, etc.  I think those are the people that are experiencing regret.

Edited by Tweety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lucylu71 said:

It's going to be way past that.  I've heard many coworkers, friends, family say they wont take it.  

I think I'll wait and see.  I feel I'm more likely then not to get it.

It's still many months away and who knows we may have a handle on it again by then.

I heard a stat that young people in particular, about 46% say they aren't getting it.  This stat is similar in the UK (I heard it on BBC I think).  People are paranoid of the unknown side effects and that it was rushed.  

I can think of 5 millennials that are nurses that have said "I'm not going to be a guinea pig", "thanks but no thanks"...etc.  Even though their age bracket is one of the primary drivers of the disease.

Clearly the Trump agenda is pro-vaccine and anti-everything else (like masks and lockdowns in the name of personal freedoms), and I do give his administration props for funding and making a fast track vaccine possible, because it's all we have.  

I guess if at least half of us get the vaccine and the virus burns through enough other people  then perhaps we can achieve herd immunity that way.  Right now only 10% of people have had covid with it varying by region...of course that's rising but we are a long way from herd immunity and my opinion is we need the vaccine to get there.

I have decided to get it.  Like I trust Democracy and the election results, I trust the process of producing a rolling out a vaccine.

 

Edited by Tweety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lucylu71 said:

Isnt that what we did in any places?  It seems we just kicked the can down the road a bit.

What's magical about 6 weeks?  What's going to happen then?  What makes you think we'll have a handle on it then if we havent  got handle on it in 7 months? 

Many places that were shut down for a certain time, and then that time got exended.  Many, who went long with it the first time arent going to a second.

The goal of lockdowns right now isn't to get ahold of it or even stop it, but to not overwhelm the healthcare system.  

I don't know why they say six weeks.  But I'm sure they have some scientific and medical reason for saying so.  

That however is not practical.

The first lockdown accomplished a lot in my opinion in not only saving lives, but settling things down so the healthcare system did get overwhelmed, especially in the Northeast were it was stretched to the max (he didn't need those hospital ships or all those ventilators).

It also gave us some time to get research done and now the treatment modalities for the sick is a little more refined and death rates are 30% lower.  

I think at this point we aren't going to stop it, lockdown or not because the lesson is when we're out of lockdown it comes back with a vengeance.  To me a two week lockdown to settle things down to help the healthcare system from being too strained would be a worthwhile goal.  

 

Edited by Tweety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tweety said:

The goal of lockdowns right now isn't to get ahold of it or even stop it, but to not overwhelm the healthcare system.  

I don't know why they say six weeks.  But I'm sure they have some scientific and medical reason for saying so.  

That however is not practical.

The first lockdown accomplished a lot in my opinion in not only saving lives, but settling things down so the healthcare system did get overwhelmed, especially in the Northeast were it was stretched to the max (he didn't need those hospital ships or all those ventilators).

It also gave us some time to get research done and now the treatment modalities for the sick is a little more refined and death rates are 30% lower.  

I think at this point we aren't going to stop it, lockdown or not because the lesson is when we're out of lockdown it comes back with a vengeance.  To me a two week lockdown to settle things down to help the healthcare system from being too strained would be a worthwhile goal.  

 

I think a lockdown would go a long way to help slow community transmission of the virus.

A nurse at my facility, on day shift, has contracted it. Luckily, I was not exposed to her.

I am very cautious. Haven't eaten restaurant food since March. Have visited with two friends, since March.

I go to work, the barn and my riding lesson. I need my lungs! It takes lung capacity to ride horses.

Don't miss restaurant food. Bought an amazing Le Creuset Dutch oven, a few weeks ago, and plan to use it tomorrow.

And after draining, 12-hour shifts, I don't miss hanging out with people. Do miss potential travel, as I would love to be planning and taking a riding trip to France or Iceland or New Zealand.

You probably miss travel too, Tweety.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.