Jump to content
Tweety Tweety (Member) Expert Nurse

The President Donald Trump Thread

Politics   (11,795,284 Views 8,993 Comments)
6 Followers; 53,085 Visitors; 29,263 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.

You are reading page 694 of The President Donald Trump Thread. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

More thoughts on the economy right now- the stock market is not a good indicator of economic health.  It favors the wealthy.  How many poor or working poor own stock?  Family sustainable employment is more important and gives a truer picture of the economic health of a country.  I think our low unemployment numbers are due in part to people needing to work multiple jobs to make ends meet.  How does that make for a healthy economy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BCgradnurse said:

More thoughts on the economy right now- the stock market is not a good indicator of economic health.  It favors the wealthy.  How many poor or working poor own stock?  Family sustainable employment is more important and gives a truer picture of the economic health of a country.  I think our low unemployment numbers are due in part to people needing to work multiple jobs to make ends meet.  How does that make for a healthy economy?

Gallup polls show that 55% of Americans own some stock.  So yes a thriving stock market is good for a good deal of us.  Many working people are now in 401Ks, etc.  

Still studies show 71% of people in debt, and a whopping 75% living are living paycheck to paycheck, but this includes many people making good salaries and even more than 100,000K.  Not a good indicator of a good economy.

No doubt times are hard for a lot of people.  A lot of people in certain industries are in recession or live in depressed areas and can't find jobs and settle for low paying jobs.

It's also well repeated that people have multiple jobs which is driving the good unemployment rates and the facts don't support this.  I'm not sure what the current figures are but WJS reports only 5% of people having more than one job.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/does-everyone-have-two-jobs-1532474015

Edited by Tweety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tweety said:

[...]

It's also well repeated that people have multiple jobs which is driving the good unemployment rates and the facts don't support this.  I'm not sure what the current figures are but WJS reports only 5% of people having more than one job.  

https://www.wsj.com/articles/does-everyone-have-two-jobs-1532474015

Thank you for this.  Here is a Forbes article, which doesn't require a subscription, discussing this as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aparnamathur/2019/08/04/are-most-people-actually-working-two-or-three-jobs-not-really/amp/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never said most or all people need to work multiple jobs.  The figure as of now hovers somewhere between 6-7%-the WSJ article is from 2018, so it is a little out of date.

Per Fox Business, which tends to skew a bit right, that number is climbing.  Shouldn't it be dropping if our economy is so good?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/american-workers-multiple-jobs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BCgradnurse said:

I never said most or all people need to work multiple jobs.  The figure as of now hovers somewhere between 6-7%-the WSJ article is from 2018, so it is a little out of date.

Per Fox Business, which tends to skew a bit right, that number is climbing.  Shouldn't it be dropping if our economy is so good?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/american-workers-multiple-jobs

I read an article in local newspaper this morning, that puts the number of Americans with multiple jobs at 5%.

Myself, I have two jobs.

A full-time job at the Health Department, and PRN, at my old facility. 

I work almost every Saturday night, out of necessity, not because I enjoy 12-hour, overnight shifts on the weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is pretty safe to say the economy is good for the 1%, while mediocre to poor for the rest of us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lil Nel said:

I think it is pretty safe to say the economy is good for the 1%, while mediocre to poor for the rest of us.

 

Yes!  I feel that any reported uptick in the economy or in the national employment numbers, are either happenstance or are spill over effects from previous administrations.  I'm not convinced that DJT, having lost millions, filed bankruptcy numerous times, and been involved in the establishment of a sham university, has any real business acumen, diplomacy, or negotiation skills.  'Art of the Deal"; What a fraud!  All this man has is a lot of money and 'fixers' at his disposal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lil Nel said:

I read an article in local newspaper this morning, that puts the number of Americans with multiple jobs at 5%.

Myself, I have two jobs.

A full-time job at the Health Department, and PRN, at my old facility. 

I work almost every Saturday night, out of necessity, not because I enjoy 12-hour, overnight shifts on the weekend.

I also work 2 jobs, because my fiance is currently unemployed in this robust economy, and we need the money.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BCgradnurse said:

I never said most or all people need to work multiple jobs.  The figure as of now hovers somewhere between 6-7%-the WSJ article is from 2018, so it is a little out of date.

[...]

I’m unsure where you came up with this number as the Fox Business article places it at 5%.  The same article does claim that the number is a record high, based on Deutsche Bank data, but doesn’t provide the number or link to the source.

2 hours ago, Lil Nel said:

I read an article in local newspaper this morning, that puts the number of Americans with multiple jobs at 5%.

[...]

Which is consistent with where it’s been for some time.  Data are available for 1994 – 2017 on the Bureau of Labor and Statistics TED: The Economics Daily.  During this time the percent of workers working more than one job ranged from a high of 6.5% in 1995 & 1996, to a low of 4.9% in 2010 – 2015 and 2016.  There are many reasons why one would work more that one job, and necessity is one.  Unfortunately, these numbers can't tell us why people are working more than one job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A neighbor works full time at a Subway restaurant and on her "days off" cares for a person with Alzheimers. For this she gets to have a bedroom and bathroom. Her rent increased from $400.00 a month to $3,750.00 since 2010. Thankfully it is working out OK so far. 

I gave her a recipe her patient gave me decades ago. Her usually macho husband cried when she served it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chare said:

I’m unsure where you came up with this number as the Fox Business article places it at 5%.  The same article does claim that the number is a record high, based on Deutsche Bank data, but doesn’t provide the number or link to the source.

Which is consistent with where it’s been for some time.  Data are available for 1994 – 2017 on the Bureau of Labor and Statistics TED: The Economics Daily.  During this time the percent of workers working more than one job ranged from a high of 6.5% in 1995 & 1996, to a low of 4.9% in 2010 – 2015 and 2016.  There are many reasons why one would work more that one job, and necessity is one.  Unfortunately, these numbers can't tell us why people are working more than one job. 

The number was from a US Census Bureau article, which was published in Jan 2020.  I went back to read it again and they wree using data from 2013-2014, so I stand corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.