Jump to content
Tweety Tweety (Member) Expert Nurse

The President Donald Trump Thread

Politics   (11,796,349 Views 9,035 Comments)
6 Followers; 53,122 Visitors; 29,281 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.

You are reading page 692 of The President Donald Trump Thread. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

I urge all to listen to NPR piece today on Morning Edition, about Poland, and how it is clearly, no longer a democracy.

The parallels between Poland, and what is currently happening in the US are remarkable.

This same thing has already occurred in Hungary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lil Nel said:

I urge all to listen to NPR piece today on Morning Edition, about Poland, and how it is clearly, no longer a democracy.

The parallels between Poland, and what is currently happening in the US are remarkable.

This same thing has already occurred in Hungary.

Quote

EU Considers Sanctions Against Poland For Overhauling Its Judiciary

Poland is under the threat of sanctions from the EU and might lose its voting rights in the bloc because of moves by the country's ruling party to restrict the independence of Polish judges...

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/13/805537071/eu-considers-sanctions-against-poland-for-overhauling-its-judiciary

It takes only six minutes to listen. Click the link if you want to hear it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 11:55 AM, Lil Nel said:

I posted on Election 2020 thread, a story about Trump competitor, Joe Walsh, discovering in Iowa that the GOP is a cult.

From today's WaPo:

Meet The 71-Year-Old Staging A One-Man Protest In His Trump Loving Retirement Community

The man is confronted by Trumpster who accuses him of calling Trump a sexual predator with no proof.

The man responds by saying: Are you living in a cave?

Hilarious.

The woman threatens to send video of the encounter to Trump and Donnie Jr (like anybody cares).

This man is a hero.

And the story proves what Walsh found in Iowa, is true in FL.

You have to work pretty hard to be willfully ignorant in order to stay in the Cult.

Lil Nel, what I personally struggle with and will never, never be able to get my head around, is how Trump could possibly still be in power.  Looking beyond all his hate mongering, lies, deceptions, power grabs, scandals, criminal acts, and controversies, how have we, as a nation, allowed this president to remain in office?  To me this is the more disturbing and pointed question.  Why hasn't some federal regulatory arm removed him or why haven't the citizens all taken to the streets in mass protest?  It's all too surreal, like the dream state has become reality, like up is now down, right is left....  Sadly though, the average citizen is so marginalized and disenfranchised in our government today or too busy working two jobs and caring for a family. What to do?  Sad:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, morelostthanfound said:

Lil Nel, what I personally struggle with and will never, never be able to get my head around, is how Trump could possibly still be in power.  Looking beyond all his hate mongering, lies, deceptions, power grabs, scandals, criminal acts, and controversies, how have we, as a nation, allowed this president to remain in office?  To me this is the more disturbing and pointed question.  Why hasn't some federal regulatory arm removed him or why haven't the citizens all taken to the streets in mass protest?  It's all too surreal, like the dream state has become reality, like up is now down, right is left....  Sadly though, the average citizen is so marginalized and disenfranchised in our government today or too busy working two jobs and caring for a family. What to do?  Sad:(

Exactly.

We are our own worst enemy. We are complacent in our debt and dependence upon the capitalist dream which would take our freedoms in payment for a sense of prosperity or power. Most Americans cannot afford to protest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, toomuchbaloney said:

Exactly.

We are our own worst enemy. We are complacent in our debt and dependence upon the capitalist dream which would take our freedoms in payment for a sense of prosperity or power. Most Americans cannot afford to protest. 

Agree!  Not to be too melodramatic but there are indeed many disturbing parallels with our current administration and the totalitarian state of Germany beginning in 1933.  The 'boiling frog' scenario comes to mind and somehow seems apropos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, morelostthanfound said:

Agree!  Not to be too melodramatic but there are indeed many disturbing parallels with our current administration and the totalitarian state of Germany beginning in 1933.  The 'boiling frog' scenario comes to mind and somehow seems apropos.

Indeed.

The poorly educated people who enjoy little in the way of historical context and perspective will catch on eventually but that is almost always too late. 

Voltaire said that it's difficult to free people from chains that they revere.  Modern conservatives are going to make us all suffer the consequences of their love of authoritarian leadership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, morelostthanfound said:

... Why hasn't some federal regulatory arm removed him ...

What exactly do you have in mind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, chare said:

What exactly do you have in mind?

Department of Justice, Office of Government Ethics, FBI, Inspectors General, White House Counsel's Office, Government Accountability Office, State Attorneys General...  Although some of these are offices are advisory and some are investigative, I am gobsmacked that all of them have failed to take action to address this president's egregious, criminal and reprehensible behavior.  Then there were the impeachment proceedings which were the epitome of a 'dog and pony show' and an embarrassment to the intelligence and sensibilities of the American people.

Edited by morelostthanfound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, chare said:

What exactly do you have in mind?

Good question. The constitutional remedy has been nullified by a complicit Senate. The cabinet is a bunch of kleptocrats and sycophants which makes that avenue of removal irrelevant.  The DOJ is now a corrupted implement of the tyrannt's vindictive whim as well as a shield from honest prosecution.  The Judiciary is being stacked with grateful and complicit judges who are corrupt, poorly qualified or partisan shills, if not all 3. Another example was just appointed who was rated very poorly by the Alaska Bar. 

This is a very perilous time for our rule of law.  The notions that no man is king, there is balance of power and all are subject to the rule of law are specific necessities of our freedoms and republic.  We are watching the rapid erosion of all 3 right now. I pray daily that we do not witness the death of this experiment in democracy. 

Edited by toomuchbaloney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, herring_RN said:

It takes only six minutes to listen. Click the link if you want to hear it.

Thanks so much for posting, herring.

The similarities between the US and Poland today are unsettling, which is why I called attention to the NPR piece.

Btw-morelost, Poles HAVE protested in large numbers, but dictators don't listen to the masses.

And politicians, as we saw with Cult members in the US Senate, only enable the dictator.

Trump is completely unhinged and off his chain, yet GOP Cultists, shrug and do nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no more reactions to add today apparently...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toomuchbaloney said:

Exactly.

We are our own worst enemy. We are complacent in our debt and dependence upon the capitalist dream which would take our freedoms in payment for a sense of prosperity or power. Most Americans cannot afford to protest. 

Yep.

The owner of the broadcast entity broadcasting Russian propaganda because It MAKES HIM MONEY that I posted about earlier, is a perfect example.

Deplorable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.