Jump to content
Tweety Tweety (New Member) New Member

The Congressional Thread

Politics   (5,072 Views 208 Comments)
6 Followers; 49,783 Visitors; 27,975 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.
advertisement

I know we're not supposed to restart closed threads, but how about an AOC/Green Deal/Socialist thread?

"The Latina Thing"

https://news.yahoo.com/ocasio-cortez-fires-back-at-fox-news-over-latina-thing-segment-140426925.html

I would think she knows how to say her name.  I've seen bilingual people pronounce their name and other words while speaking in English with an accent.  It's nothing to be made fun of.  I think she would know how to say her name.  Of course her firing back is a bit of her usual bravado and arrogance.

Edited by Tweety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She scares them. She is an intelligent, tech savvy young woman who has managed to get into government. every time the press bring something up - dancing, bar-tending - to try to denigrate her she stomps on them. She is proving more and more (from a UK point of view) that she is better than the media in every single way.

I believe she is/was on the Seth Meyer show this week, I will be interested to see what she has to say when it airs here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tweety said:

I know we're not supposed to restart closed threads, but how about an AOC/Green Deal/Socialist thread?

"The Latina Thing"

https://news.yahoo.com/ocasio-cortez-fires-back-at-fox-news-over-latina-thing-segment-140426925.html

I would think she knows how to say her name.  I've seen bilingual people pronounce their name and other words while speaking in English with an accent.  It's nothing to be made fun of.  I think she would know how to say her name.  Of course her firing back is a bit of her usual bravado and arrogance.

I posted about this on another thread.

I applaud her for standing up to Laura Ingraham, who is nothing more than a hate-monger for Fox.

Ingraham and her conservative guest were launching a racially motivated attack.

Bravo to AOC, for smacking them down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrumpyRN said:

She scares them. She is an intelligent, tech savvy young woman who has managed to get into government. every time the press bring something up - dancing, bar-tending - to try to denigrate her she stomps on them. She is proving more and more (from a UK point of view) that she is better than the media in every single way.

I believe she is/was on the Seth Meyer show this week, I will be interested to see what she has to say when it airs here.

Of course the Right is afraid of her.

She is young, sassy, smart and not afraid of new ideas.

Who does the Right have?

Tired, scared, old, men.

Not long ago, a conservative poster offered up Candace Owens, as a fresh face on the right.

But Ms Owens is a fraud.

Steve King will not carry Republicans in 2020 and beyond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since we are talking Socialism, I will offer my book club is reading: A Year Of Living Danishly.

The Danes are Socialists.

They are some of the happiest people in the world.

They pay high taxes, and that benefits everyone!

Income inequality is no where near like the US.

A year of paid parental leave!!!!!

A country committed to the environment.

Still in the early chapters, so I am waiting for the downside, but so far, I think heaven must be Denmark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most of us know to address people as they want to be addressed. Mocking a person's name is childish and rude.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement
5 hours ago, Lil Nel said:

[...]

I applaud her for standing up to Laura Ingraham, who is nothing more than a hate-monger for Fox.

Ingraham and her conservative guest were launching a racially motivated attack.

[...]

Racially motivated?  Perhaps.  Stupid and ignorant? Without doubt.  A person's name is what he or she says it is.  

I'll admit I sometimes am unsure as to how to properly address persons with hyphenated names, regardless of ethnicity.  However, when told what the proper name is, and how the person wishes to be addressed, you do as they wish.  Not doing so is rude and argumentative and displays an intentional lack of common courtesy.

5 hours ago, Lil Nel said:

Of course the Right is afraid of her.

[...]

I don't think so.  I think she attracts attention as a result of some of the statements that she's made, and these are fair game.   However, I think concentrating on her dancing video, that she worked as a bartender, her comments about not having a place to live in D.C., and others of this sort is asinine and makes those doing so look childish and as if they are unable to address her on the issues.  Whether she's a rising star or a flash in the pan remains to be seen.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chare said:

Racially motivated?  Perhaps.  Stupid and ignorant? Without doubt.  A person's name is what he or she says it is.  

I'll admit I sometimes am unsure as to how to properly address persons with hyphenated names, regardless of ethnicity.  However, when told what the proper name is, and how the person wishes to be addressed, you do as they wish.  Not doing so is rude and argumentative and displays an intentional lack of common courtesy.

I don't think so.  I think she attracts attention as a result of some of the statements that she's made, and these are fair game.   However, I think concentrating on her dancing video, that she worked as a bartender, her comments about not having a place to live in D.C., and others of this sort is asinine and makes those doing so look childish and as if they are unable to address her on the issues.  Whether she's a rising star or a flash in the pan remains to be seen.

 

 

I used the term racist because AOC, hyphenates her name, the way many Latino persons do, using both mother and father surnames.

Ingraham diliberately ignoring, and making fun of this custom is racist.

Her comment about the 'Latina Thing,' is indeed racist.

Ingraham is famous for her anti-immigrant rants.

I feel pretty safe labeling her racist.

I agree that it is far too early to tell what her affect in Congress will be.

But if I was selecting players for a kickball team, I would pick her, over Steve King, Lindsey Graham, Mark Meadows, Ted Cruz, etc.

Edited by Lil Nel
Spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How easily we discount open racist mocking and explain it away as something more  "palatable " in this country. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy comparing and contrasting different cultures, work places, etc.

In an effort to learn more about what makes Denmark such a happy place, or not, I found an older NY Times piece, which I think has some lessons for the US.

'I've Become A Racist': Migrant Wave Unleashes Danish Tension Over Identity

Of course, Denmark and the US are vastly different countries.

But if assimilation of immigrants is a concern, or goal, then the piece is worth reading, as it looks at all sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lil Nel said:

I used the term racist because AOC, hyphenates her name, the way many Latino persons do, using both mother and father surnames.

[...]

The way some, but not all, Latino cultures do.  And I'm not surprised that some, or many, Anglos are unfamiliar with this practice.  I was reared in South Texas and went to school with a large number of Hispanic students, and this naming convention.  Years later, while I was on active duty I served with a Marine of Puerto Rican descent.  She explainednthis to me, and further stated that there was some variation in practice, even among those of the same ethnic background.

1 hour ago, Lil Nel said:

[...]

Ingraham diliberately ignoring, and making fun of this custom is racist.

[...]

Ignoring it doesn't necessarily means she's racist, just uneducated.  Making fun of the custom?  Possibly racist.  I don't closely follow Ms. Ingraham as I've always thought her to be an idiot so can't say so for sure.  

1 hour ago, Lil Nel said:

[...]

Her comment about the 'Latina Thing,' is indeed racist.

[...]

Actually, in the snip of video I saw it was Mr. diGenova that made the "Latina thing" comment, not Ms. Ingraham.

ETA: This sentence was incomplete and should have read: I was reared in South Texas and went to school with a large number of Hispanic students, and this naming convention was not common..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toomuchbaloney said:

How easily we discount open racist mocking and explain it away as something more  "palatable " in this country. 

Is this a general comment? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×