Jump to content

Saturday December 12 2020

  (195 Views 13 Comments)
6 Followers; 37,636 Visitors; 6,776 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.

Morning

Tweety that is good that you're helping your friend get through this hip fracture

Ted I saw the video, was hilarious!

Well, another poor night of sleep last night, despite the Remeron. Lotta difficutly falling asleep with frequent waking. Might try a higher dose tonight, see if that helps.  Will try some other things too

Going to move my PCP appointment up from February to next week to discuss the situation and see what we can do.  Have emailed the counselor again via  different email acount since I have not get gotten a response to my first one.  If that doesn't work I have a list of in network counselors in the area

I do worry about how this will impact me, if it goes like it has been, how functional I will be, in addition to the long term impacts on my health.  I do feel I am doing fairly good overall, despite the difficulties.  And I'm staying calm, which should be a sign something is off as normally I'm rather nervous.  Almost certainly this is depression.

Despite all that's been going on work has been good, and was good yesterday too.  Am keeping up with my exercise and embroidery and all my usual activities.  Finding mindful meditation hard to do, perhaps a result of the depression

Rainy cold day today, so no birdwatching.  Will go out to the coffeeshop and get my coffee as usual.  Might be able to get outside in the afternoon after the rain/snow stops.  Svengoolie has Return of the Vampire which is pretty good.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning -

Joe - Experiencing lack of a good night's sleep can be quite concerning, for sure. Curious. Is having these nights happening more frequently or just "on occasion"? Hopefully it's more the exception and not the rule. It's good to read that, overall, you're feeling good. At least for me, that's a good perspective to maintain.

The weather is overcast outside this morning. At least the temperature is above freezing. 

Currently finishing up First Coffee. It sure tastes good. Because " 'tis the Season", I add Egg Nog to my coffee. It makes really good tasting coffee, really, really, really good tasting!! LOL! Curious. Who here adds flavoring like Egg Nog (I add real Egg Nog) to their coffee?!? When It's not the Holiday Season, I add powdered chocolate, which is also quite yummy! (Mocha!!) To be truthful, I like my coffee "Lite and Sweet" with lots of cream and a mixture of Splenda and Spedia. (Oddly enough, I don't add regular sugar.)

Working the next three nights, starting tonight. Saturday and Sunday nights I'm Mr. ICU Nurse. Monday night I'm Mr. Shift Director. I see that my teeny-tiny hospital has been busy. Our teeny-tiny ICU has THREE patients in it. (One is a post-op surgical "overflow", though, who'll probably be going home either today or tomorrow.) Because our teeny-tiny hospital are providing care for Covid-19 patients who need rehabilitation (after fighting the larger fight at our sister-hospital), it's been decided that care for post-op ortho patient be provided in our ICU. Apparently ortho-patients are requesting this. This is fine, of course. It helps keep our teeny-tiny hospital solvent. But personally?!? "Damn it, Kirk! I'm an ICU Nurse, not an Ortho Nurse!" (A badly paraphrased quote from Star Trek! 😛 )

It looks like the FDA approved the vaccine against Covid-19. Our greater healthcare system asked its employees if we'd like the vaccine. My decision?!? Well, after some thought and soul-searching with Amy, my (our) answer is "Yes". Yes! Of course!! (The soul-searching did NOT take long for either of us!!) Amy, especially, is the more vulnerable one, with her history of respiratory issues including pneumonia and asthma.

Nothing much else going on. 

I hope all is well. . . and all keep well! Peace! 🙂

Ted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Ted said:

Good Morning -

Joe - Experiencing lack of a good night's sleep can be quite concerning, for sure. Curious. Is having these nights happening more frequently or just "on occasion"? Hopefully it's more the exception and not the rule. It's good to read that, overall, you're feeling good. At least for me, that's a good perspective to maintain.

The weather is overcast outside this morning. At least the temperature is above freezing. 

Currently finishing up First Coffee. It sure tastes good. Because " 'tis the Season", I add Egg Nog to my coffee. It makes really good tasting coffee, really, really, really good tasting!! LOL! Curious. Who here adds flavoring like Egg Nog (I add real Egg Nog) to their coffee?!? When It's not the Holiday Season, I add powdered chocolate, which is also quite yummy! (Mocha!!) To be truthful, I like my coffee "Lite and Sweet" with lots of cream and a mixture of Splenda and Spedia. (Oddly enough, I don't add regular sugar.)

Working the next three nights, starting tonight. Saturday and Sunday nights I'm Mr. ICU Nurse. Monday night I'm Mr. Shift Director. I see that my teeny-tiny hospital has been busy. Our teeny-tiny ICU has THREE patients in it. (One is a post-op surgical "overflow", though, who'll probably be going home either today or tomorrow.) Because our teeny-tiny hospital are providing care for Covid-19 patients who need rehabilitation (after fighting the larger fight at our sister-hospital), it's been decided that care for post-op ortho patient be provided in our ICU. Apparently ortho-patients are requesting this. This is fine, of course. It helps keep our teeny-tiny hospital solvent. But personally?!? "Damn it, Kirk! I'm an ICU Nurse, not an Ortho Nurse!" (A badly paraphrased quote from Star Trek! 😛 )

It looks like the FDA approved the vaccine against Covid-19. Our greater healthcare system asked its employees if we'd like the vaccine. My decision?!? Well, after some thought and soul-searching with Amy, my (our) answer is "Yes". Yes! Of course!! (The soul-searching did NOT take long for either of us!!) Amy, especially, is the more vulnerable one, with her history of respiratory issues including pneumonia and asthma.

Nothing much else going on. 

I hope all is well. . . and all keep well! Peace! 🙂

Ted

Ted it has been pretty much every night the last 3 or 4 weeks.  Was fairly mild initially but has gotten more serious lately.  Only recently has it begun to concern me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning Joe, Ted, and those who follow. 

"Bumfooty is VERY funny! Amy is a beautiful woman with a beautiful voice. I can't wait to show it to husband, but he is napping in his chair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe, with the pandemic and political turmoil, I imagine counselors might be pretty busy these days, thus difficult to get hold of and schedule.  I hope you are able to get an appointment soon.  Sorry if you can't get out to bird-watch, I imagine that helps feed your soul. 🙂  Good you are getting out for coffee! 🙂

Ted, I read there were two severe reactions to the Pfizer vaccine, in the UK.  They were treated and did well.  Dh said the pts had a long list of allergies before getting the vaccine, and he said word was given out, if you carry an epi-pen, probably not a good idea to get the vaccine.  Well, I carry an epi-pen for possible bee stings.  I need to do the research, and decide if I will get the vaccine.  Risk VS benefit, yanno.  And yes, the latest video is A HOOT!!!!  Thanks so much to the two of you, for sharing your talents with us!!! 

I am looking forward to a quiet weekend.  I have tested one of the two new toilets, and it works well.  Today I will test the other. 😄 😄 

Temps are dropping: around 40 last night, and won't get any higher than 60 today.  That is cold, for us! 🙂

I think I have mentioned this in previous years, but our band does have a Christmas CD out, and if you want one please message me your address and I will send one out! 🙂  Mainly old and traditional Christmas music (Come Thou Long-Expected Jesus, O Holy Night, Good King Wenceslas, etc), done with banjo, guitar, mandolin, and upright bass, and vocals.  Let me know, thanks! 🙂

Have a good day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning, brrr, its cold here. There was frost on the deck when I stepped out to toss yesterday's coffee grounds into the flower bed. And a little hummingbird was sitting on the feeder, perhaps waiting for a hot cup of coffee. By the way, at home I drink my coffee black and bitter, no cream, no sweetener. When I buy coffee, I usually add a little cream, mostly to cool it off so I can drink it sooner. Sometimes I get a dirty chai latte (chai latte with espresso) but that is a rare treat. 

Joe, know that even if only virtually, you are not alone. These are challenging times. Keep looking for activities that give you joy and make you laugh. I sometimes listen to the Kathleen Madigan channel on Pandora, and that is a nice break from doom and gloom. 

Hi Ted. Ack, ortho? That gives me visions of being floated to surgical and dealing with CPM machines and TED hose. I understand techniques and equipment are much better now, but still makes me shudder. 

Hi Dianah, I will message you about a CD. At first I didn't think I had anyway to play it, but dh has a deck in his car, and I think he would especially enjoy listening. 

Eldest ds is doing a 100 mile  bicycle ride today to raise money for JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). Normally he attends a regional ride with hundreds of others, but this year it is virtual. I have a map of his route and we are going to see If we can cheer him on at some point. 

Hi Herring, Stars, Tweety, BC, and Amo, I will check in later to see if you share today. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon.

Joe, I'm sorry for your ongoing issues and hope in the days to come you normalize.  I've been reading lot the last few years about the benefits of adequate sleep on health and longevity.  I'm in touble.  😞

Ted, I love your Bumfooty Video!!!

Have a great day Herring!

Dianah, I hope you have a quiet weekend.

j22, there was a heart walk-a-thon that my hospital participated in which people walked on their own at the same time, in their own neighborhoods.  It actually was quite the success.

I had a friend post the story about the two reactions in the UK with a "see, I told you, it's too soon!".  I had to explain that anyone with a reaction is going to be headline news, that over 50,000 people have received it, and that these two were allergic to many medications including the flu shot, and carry an epipen they are so allergic to things, so it stood to reason they would react to this.  The drama of it all.

Here in Florida both residents and care providers will receive the first set of vaccines which follows in line with the governors long stance to let young people do their thing while protecting the most vulnerable.  We had over 11,000 covid cases on Thursday.  Before the holidays our nursing homes were having low rates of infection compared to other states, but since Thanksgiving, they are on the rise there.  The vaccine really is going to be a game changer...fingers crossed.

I will be getting the vaccine when it comes my way.  I'm so ready for this to end.

Co-workers got the news that now we all have to float to covid and there is no exemption because of the unit you work on.  Our prior owners promised the surgeons that surgical nurses would not go to covid units, but the new owners don't agree.  Needless to say coworkers aren't happy about that.  We actually still have very low levels of hospitalized patients.  We had only two patients on Wednesday but six were admitted Thursday so we now have eight.  I think we are going to see a surge as the Thanksgiving infections rear it's ugly head.  Six admissions a day could add up.

My neighbors had a party yesterday, complete with children.  Shaking my head.

I was able to leave best friend yesterday.  His fracture is non-displaced and even though he can't walk, he has a wheelchair and is able to get to the bathroom and take care of himself.  He got emotional and started to cry at the ortho office when I interrupted the doctor telling him he needed to go to a nursing home post op since he lived alone.  I said "I will be with him, either at his place or mine, so he's not going to a SNF/Rehab".   I didn't give it a second thought.

He's going to need a total hip replacement and he agreed readily to stay at my place rather than me stay with him.  That's good because I have dogs and would be more comfortable here with my stuff.  

Today, we're going to pack up his stuff that he will need in the hospital and post-op and I'll bring stuff in his fridge to my house.  He's a low carb eater and has a lot of meat that we can bring.    I can get his room ready later.

Have a great day!

 

Edited by Tweety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tweety, you have such a good heart, to support BF so!  I'm sure you know, total hip replacements have changed, since I worked 40 yr ago.  Same-day surgery, and much quicker recovery, up-and-at-'em sooner (no lying in bed with a bolster between the legs for days!!).  Bless you both, hope things go smoothly (I must ask, does he have any bone condition that makes such a surgery higher risk?)  Thanks for keeping us in the loop, you will both be in my prayers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tweety said:

Good afternoon.

Joe, I'm sorry for your ongoing issues and hope in the days to come you normalize.  I've been reading lot the last few years about the benefits of adequate sleep on health and longevity.  I'm in touble.  😞

Ted, I love your Bumfooty Video!!!

Have a great day Herring!

Dianah, I hope you have a quiet weekend.

j22, there was a heart walk-a-thon that my hospital participated in which people walked on their own at the same time, in their own neighborhoods.  It actually was quite the success.

I had a friend post the story about the two reactions in the UK with a "see, I told you, it's too soon!".  I had to explain that anyone with a reaction is going to be headline news, that over 50,000 people have received it, and that these two were allergic to many medications including the flu shot, and carry an epipen they are so allergic to things, so it stood to reason they would react to this.  The drama of it all.

Here in Florida both residents and care providers will receive the first set of vaccines which follows in line with the governors long stance to let young people do their thing while protecting the most vulnerable.  We had over 11,000 covid cases on Thursday.  Before the holidays our nursing homes were having low rates of infection compared to other states, but since Thanksgiving, they are on the rise there.  The vaccine really is going to be a game changer...fingers crossed.

I will be getting the vaccine when it comes my way.  I'm so ready for this to end.

Co-workers got the news that now we all have to float to covid and there is no exemption because of the unit you work on.  Our prior owners promised the surgeons that surgical nurses would not go to covid units, but the new owners don't agree.  Needless to say coworkers aren't happy about that.  We actually still have very low levels of hospitalized patients.  We had only two patients on Wednesday but six were admitted Thursday so we now have eight.  I think we are going to see a surge as the Thanksgiving infections rear it's ugly head.  Six admissions a day could add up.

My neighbors had a party yesterday, complete with children.  Shaking my head.

I was able to leave best friend yesterday.  His fracture is non-displaced and even though he can't walk, he has a wheelchair and is able to get to the bathroom and take care of himself.  He got emotional and started to cry at the ortho office when I interrupted the doctor telling him he needed to go to a nursing home post op since he lived alone.  I said "I will be with him, either at his place or mine, so he's not going to a SNF/Rehab".   I didn't give it a second thought.

He's going to need a total hip replacement and he agreed readily to stay at my place rather than me stay with him.  That's good because I have dogs and would be more comfortable here with my stuff.  

Today, we're going to pack up his stuff that he will need in the hospital and post-op and I'll bring stuff in his fridge to my house.  He's a low carb eater and has a lot of meat that we can bring.    I can get his room ready later.

Have a great day!

 

Tweety that's great that you're going to take care of your friend like that Better option than a SNF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good afternoon-

On the warm side, and rainy here.  All the dirty, nasty snow from last weekend is gone.  I worked this morning, and had very pleasant patients.  We've been getting a lot of calls re: the Covid vaccine reactions.  The vast majority of our allergy patients do not have life threatening allergies, and the vast majority of those who do will not be eligible to get the vaccine anytime soon, regardless.  Hopefully, we'll have better information and guidance by the time it's available for the general public.  I plan on getting it as soon as it's available.  

Fiance and I are having a little Hanukkah celebration tonight, just for the 2 of us.  We will deliver food and gifts to his DD who lives nearby.  My sisters and DD will stop by tomorrow so we can exchange gifts outdoors.  It's supposed to be 60 degrees tomorrow, so it will be nice to be outside.  So far I've made a carrot cake, have chicken marinating, and have made dough for rugelach cookies.  I will make potato latkes later.  My grandmother use to grate pounds of potatoes by hand.  I use the food processor.  Our synagogue did a mystery gift exchange.   We got a family with school age children, so we got them board games, popcorn, and other snacks.  Fiance got up really early today and left it on their doorstep.  Last night we got a package containing 2 soup crocks, a ladle, and a recipe for French onion soup.  It was fun to see everyone post their gifts on the synagogue's Facebook page.  I don't think we are going to reveal the givers.

Joe-I'm so sorry that you're still not sleeping well.  I think it's a good idea to talk to your PCP about it.  I hope you hear back from your counselor.

Ted-I loved Bumfooty!  You and Amy are so clever and talented.  My fiance loves eggnog in his coffee.  

Herring-I hope you DH enjoyed watching the ocean yesterday.

J22-I'm surprised that you are still having hummingbirds hanging around.  The ones around my way have been gone since late August.  Good for your son for doing the ride.  I would imagine that charities are hurting this year, just like everything else.

Tweety-So sorry to hear about BF.  He is extremely lucky to have you to care for him.  He's much better off with you than in a SNF.  Will his cat be coming to your house, too?

Dianah-I was listening to your CD yesterday in my car.  Your music is so beautiful and soothing.  I'm thinking of you as Fiance is re-stringing his guitar.  He's going on over an hour, now, lol.  You could probably do it in 10 minutes.

Hi to NSIME, Amo, and anyone else who stops by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BCGrad, Oh my, it takes me probably close to an hour to change my guitar strings!  I usually ask dh to help. 🙂  A friend who is a luthier and guitarist, changed them one day for me: 2.5 minutes, from in-tune with old strings, to in-tune with new strings!!  It's a skill that takes practice. 🙂  So glad you enjoy the CD!  Thank you for the feedback!

I love the anonymous gift exchanges you share, very cool!  I'll bet your kitchen smells wonderful! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BCgradnurse said:

 rugelach cookies

Tweety-So sorry to hear about BF.  He is extremely lucky to have you to care for him.  He's much better off with you than in a SNF.  Will his cat be coming to your house, too?

 

Had to Google those cookies....yum.  

Happy Hannukah!

The cat is going to be cared for by a neighbor at his condo and isn't coming with us.   Would be a bit traumatic to uproot the cat and expose him to my dogs.  When my sister lived her for three months her cat never come out from under the bed and the dogs I had at the time terrorized her.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.