Jump to content
Tweety Tweety (Member) Expert Nurse

Presidential Election 2020

Politics   (1,416,873 Views 1,632 Comments)
6 Followers; 53,900 Visitors; 29,511 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.

You are reading page 136 of Presidential Election 2020. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

On 7/10/2020 at 9:01 AM, GrumpyRN said:

I didn't say the quote was false, I pointed out that your source is suspect. Confirmation bias springs to mind.

But... Since you brought it up. I have tried to find a report about this and EVERY SINGLE search result comes from a newspaper I would not use to toilet train a puppy or from a site that is so biased it made my monitor tip off the desk.

IF you can find a REPUTABLE source for your statement please point me in that direction.

PS I tend to use BBC and British media as my sources so one of them would be nice.

PPS I have used Google, Yahoo and DuckDuckGo to search.

Nothing from the Washington Examiner should be assumed to be true without confirming it with a separate reliable source, and conservative 'news' sources certainly promote the more radical connections of BLM than other sources do, but it's basic claims are correct, and are mentioned in a number of less-biased coverage.  

I agree with the argument that people change, and maybe the BLM activists who say they admire the people in question do so because of who they are now, not who they were then, but that doesn't appear to the case.  In various articles and interviews with both BLM organization leadership and supporters it's their past, which in the case of Assata Shakur for instance was a convicted cop-murderer, that they admire.  An example of coverage of the connection to radicals with a criminal history in more mainstream media: https://www.kron4.com/news/artist-explains-why-she-painted-assata-shakur-into-mural-outside-palo-alto-city-hall/

Black Lives Matter started out as a general sentiment in the form of a hashtag, and that sentiment has fairly broad public support with the potential to drive positive change.  The name was then co-opted by a group with at least some portion of their views that are better described as extremist, radical, or fringe, hoping to effectively hijack that broad support.

If we want to see effective change come about from the BLM movement then we can't forget that this about opposing race-based bias as well as opposing the promotion of violence or mistreatment based on race.  Promoting those things but just switching different races as the perpetrators and recipients of bias and violence will deflate any potential for positive change.

A related article from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar today: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/kareem-abdul-jabbar-is-outrage-anti-semitism-sports-hollywood-1303210

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Kareem is smart and sensible. Once my husband and I got in an elevator where he was. I am 5'2", husband is 5'5". He held the door for us.

At a car dealership a sales office had one of  Shaquille O'Neal's enormous shoes on display.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, toomuchbaloney said:

Trump demands payroll tax cut while GOP eyes benefit cuts for unemployed

How does this help the soon to be evicted unemployed? Is the GOP leadership completely unable to govern for We The People?

Vote.

Read this, last night in the Times.

Besides playing golf, we know Trump loves to pander to the base.

And that is what this nonsense is all about; pander to business and pander to the rich.

But don't care one hour about the average American.

Three more months until the turd is flushed away!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lucylu71 said:

"Out of the initial batch mailed a week earlier, 97 out of 100 votes had arrived. Three simulated persons, or 3% of voters, were effectively disenfranchised by mail by giving their ballots a week to arrive. In a close election, 3% could be pivotal."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-vote-by-mail-ballot-counted-election/

Gosh.  Sounds like Trump's postal service is as much of an incompetent mess as the rest of his administration.  Of course, Trump isn't interested in making mailed voting accessible or effective for the masses so all attempts to make the proposal appear problematic are fully supported by the Trump team. Isn't it sad that the federal postal service is in such terrible shape? Another example dismal failure for DJT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lucylu71 said:

"Out of the initial batch mailed a week earlier, 97 out of 100 votes had arrived. Three simulated persons, or 3% of voters, were effectively disenfranchised by mail by giving their ballots a week to arrive. In a close election, 3% could be pivotal."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-vote-by-mail-ballot-counted-election/

3% would be a huge improvement compared to the up to 2/3 of voters who say they wouldn't feel comfortable voting at a polling place during Covid-19.  Why would disenfranchising significantly more than 3% of voters be better than disenfranchising 3%?  And that assumes the 3% would be accurate since as the article points out, the 3% resulted from errors and delays in the sorting process, which mail-in ballots don't go through like regular mail does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My state has drop boxes as well as the ability to mail in. In the past, if you drop off on election day, volunteers  handed you an "I voted" sticker. I dropped off my state and local primary ballot today, because I will be out of town on 8/4.  I will be able to check online in a couple of days to assure it was received. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MunoRN said:

3% would be a huge improvement compared to the up to 2/3 of voters who say they wouldn't feel comfortable voting at a polling place during Covid-19.  Why would disenfranchising significantly more than 3% of voters be better than disenfranchising 3%?  And that assumes the 3% would be accurate since as the article points out, the 3% resulted from errors and delays in the sorting process, which mail-in ballots don't go through like regular mail does.

Source for your 2/3?  It seems hard to believe that many are uncomfortable going out from what i see everydsy.

And their is a difference between saying in a poll you wouldn't be comfortable voting in person vs choosing not to vote.

If errors and delays happen in a system used everyday that's been evolving for over 100 years,  I would have to believe something out of the ordinary would be even worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2020 at 3:58 PM, nursej22 said:

My state has drop boxes as well as the ability to mail in. In the past, if you drop off on election day, volunteers  handed you an "I voted" sticker. I dropped off my state and local primary ballot today, because I will be out of town on 8/4.  I will be able to check online in a couple of days to assure it was received. 

Yup, just checked and my ballot has been received. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Lucylu71 said:

Source for your 2/3?  It seems hard to believe that many are uncomfortable going out from what i see everydsy.

And their is a difference between saying in a poll you wouldn't be comfortable voting in person vs choosing not to vote.

If errors and delays happen in a system used everyday that's been evolving for over 100 years,  I would have to believe something out of the ordinary would be even worse.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/04/06/older-people-account-for-large-shares-of-poll-workers-and-voters-in-u-s-general-elections/

https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2020/03/30/most-americans-say-coronavirus-outbreak-has-impacted-their-lives/#more-than-three-quarters-of-americans-say-they-are-not-comfortable-eating-out-in-a-restaurant-given-the-current-situation-with-coronavirus

I'm sure a large portion of that 2/3 would still vote despite feeling uncomfortable about, but I'm skeptical that the number of voters who would avoid in-person voting would be less than 3%, and that assumes in-person voting would remain available and accessible when the vast majority of poll workers are in high-risk age groups.

As your article points out, their experiment didn't include the ballot identifier and routing codes that are on vote-by-mail ballots, these put them into a separate group at the initial sort, so they avoid the fairly archaic, hardly 'evolved', sorting process that causes delays.  And the easier fix is what most vote-by-mail states do which is to use an election-day postmark as the cutoff, rather than when it arrives at the county auditor or secretary of state offices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.