DISCLAIMER: I'm completely new to this so I'm just sharing what works for me.
I have 2 puppies. They are both 4 months.
I got Chewie (for Chewbacca) in November. He's already potty trained.
I got Kye just this month. He's a work in progress.
Things that worked for me...
- Give treats when they do something good. (ALWAYS HAVE THEM AROUND.)
- Stay active with them. The first few months with a puppy are important.
- Provide toys - cheap is ok. I get them toys with different fabric/material.
- Consider giving them rawhide sticks. It keeps them busy.
- Subscribe to Zak George's Dog Training rEvolution
. I knew nothing about dogs. Zak's video are very helpful.
- Put puppy in playpen when you are distracted.
- Have patience.
Some people don't recommend a training collar (beeps, vibrate, or zap). But, I find them very effective. I take my puppies outside ... call them ... if they ignore me ... I beep the collar and they come back running back. (I give them a treat.)
If they start biting on something that they shouldn't - I beep collar and they stop. At this point, I give them a treat and distract with a toy.