Jump to content
luv2 luv2 (Member)

On 9-12-2019 Debate

Politics   (1,590 Views 40 Comments)
7,742 Visitors; 423 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.

You are reading page 2 of On 9-12-2019 Debate. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

1 hour ago, Tweety said:

As I've previously stated this early into it, I tend not to watch debates.  I appreciate you guy's input.  I switched from Independent to Democrat as our primaries are closed specifically so I could vote in the primaries in 2020.  So I will pay attention as time goes on.

I agree they all have their faults that I have to sift through prior to voting.

Beto O'Rouke's "Hell yes, we are going to take your AR-15," seems to be getting attention.  I agree, that it's a stance that people shouldn't be afraid to state.  

Castro is not getting good reviews either from Fox News or CNN.

Biden is getting the best reviews I've seen, including CNN and Fox News.

Warren does need to be honest about the costs of her programs, especially to middle class people making decent incomes, and somehow convince middle class voters like me the cost is worth it and not be so vague.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/doug-schoen-at-third-dem-debate-one-big-winner-and-two-surprise-losers

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/12/politics/who-won-the-debate/index.html

I totally agree. As a party, the democratic party needs to have more unity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BCgradnurse said:

You didn't answer my question.  Will you vote for whoever gets the Democratic nomination?

I am still undecided. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched most of it, but that format is so annoying! I felt the front runners got way more time, when I think in all fairness, the lower-polling candidates should get more time. Biden and Harris just irritate me. Bernie looked and sounded unwell. I think everyone just muddled up the healthcare issue. 

But I will support whom ever is nominated, even though my vote won't count for much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, nursej22 said:

I watched most of it, but that format is so annoying! I felt the front runners got way more time, when I think in all fairness, the lower-polling candidates should get more time. Biden and Harris just irritate me. Bernie looked and sounded unwell. I think everyone just muddled up the healthcare issue. 

But I will support whom ever is nominated, even though my vote won't count for much. 

Every vote count. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, luv2 said:

Every vote count. 

Every vote would count if we abolished the electoral college. As it stands now,  one electoral vote in my state represents approximately 600,000 citizens. One electoral vote in Wyoming represents 190,000 citizens. So votes in rural, low population states count for more than a populous state. 

Also, the battleground states of Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin and their electoral votes usually decide the presidential election. 

I do however vote, but mainly for local and state contests. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, luv2 said:
 
Amy Klobuchar-need to be honest with her past.
Cory Booker- the biggest flip-flopper.
Pete Buttigieg-Focus on being mayor.
Bernie Sanders-Socialism
Joseph R. Biden Jr.-Face so much attack. 
Elizabeth Warren-her legislations has no real plan.
Kamala Harris-Need to be honest with her record.
Andrew Yang-Unethical how do you offer money to voters? Is this unethical?
Beto O'Rourke- Should run for Senate in Texas.
Julián Castro-ageist. Dividing the democratic party.
 

I'm not really sure how Julian Castro is "ageist".  

I would disagree that debating what a party's platform should be constitutes "dividing" a party, the healthiest thing any political party can do is to come to a consensus, and you don't come to a consensus without debating what that consensus should be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MunoRN said:

I'm not really sure how Julian Castro is "ageist".  

I would disagree that debating what a party's platform should be constitutes "dividing" a party, the healthiest thing any political party can do is to come to a consensus, and you don't come to a consensus without debating what that consensus should be.

I agree.  Debate isn't dividing the party.  

I love this summary of Castro:

Quote

Biden is very popular among Democrats, and repeatedly insinuating senility in the middle of a debate isn’t a great way for the relatively unknown Castro to endear himself with the primary electorate..

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/debate-booker-momentum-castro-biden-fail-surge.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did't see all of the debate, but I saw a clip of Biden answering a question about the legacy of slavery, and he went off on some weird tangent about teaching black families to be better parents and turn on the record player. He continues to make these kinds of gaffes, like when he was comparing white children and poor children. If he does get the nomination, I hope the vice presidential nominee can rein him in on this cr@p. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tweety said:

I agree.  Debate isn't dividing the party.  

I love this summary of Castro:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/09/debate-booker-momentum-castro-biden-fail-surge.html

That does seem to be common storyline, although I would disagree that it was Castro that made it seem like Biden was senile, it was Biden all by himself that managed to do that.  And I'm not really sure where the "ageism" things comes from, Castro never referenced his age and Biden has been sticking his foot in his mouth for decades now.  It's people who assume his incoherence is due to his age that are "ageist".

It's worth noting what Biden said, this is his platform on healthcare, which I would hope is well rehearsed topic:

"“The option I’m proposing is, Medicare for Choice, If you want Medicare, if you lose the job from your insurance company, from your employer, you automatically can buy into this. You don’t have no pre-existing condition can stop you from buying in. You get covered. Period.”

That's impressively incoherent.  And it don't blame Castro for pointing out, after Biden interjected to claim that with his plan "you do not have to buy in, you are automatically enrolled" what he just said only minutes before.  Biden's cognition issues aren't Castro's fault.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MunoRN said:

That does seem to be common storyline, although I would disagree that it was Castro that made it seem like Biden was senile, it was Biden all by himself that managed to do that.  And I'm not really sure where the "ageism" things comes from, Castro never referenced his age and Biden has been sticking his foot in his mouth for decades now.  It's people who assume his incoherence is due to his age that are "ageist".

It's worth noting what Biden said, this is his platform on healthcare, which I would hope is well rehearsed topic:

"“The option I’m proposing is, Medicare for Choice, If you want Medicare, if you lose the job from your insurance company, from your employer, you automatically can buy into this. You don’t have no pre-existing condition can stop you from buying in. You get covered. Period.”

That's impressively incoherent.  And it don't blame Castro for pointing out, after Biden interjected to claim that with his plan "you do not have to buy in, you are automatically enrolled" what he just said only minutes before.  Biden's cognition issues aren't Castro's fault.

 

Fair or not, Castro is the one that got burned and came across as snotty and could have pointed out his issues with Biden better.

 I didn't see the debate, but Biden got good reviews with no mention of stumbling and being incoherent and it rates as his best debate so far.  

That said, overall I would have to agree this campaign Biden has been a bit incoherent, making gaffes, etc.  I don't think he's the best candidate.

It's too bad because Castro should be doing better, brining in Hispanics and younger people but if he alienates older people that's not a good thing because of their (our) high rate of voting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the Democrats' admiration for Biden, he's about as affable as they come, and he's a Democratic party legacy, at this point he's essentially the cuddly mascot of the party.  

Mascots are important, but while the San Diego Chicken is a likable and popular mascot, you wouldn't put him in the game to bat in the bottom of the ninth.

The problem with treating Biden with kid's gloves is that he definitely won't be treated that way past the democrat primaries.  If he can't handle pretty reasonable and justified jabs by Castro, he'll get creamed in the real world of politics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MunoRN said:

I get the Democrats' admiration for Biden, he's about as affable as they come, and he's a Democratic party legacy, at this point he's essentially the cuddly mascot of the party.  

Mascots are important, but while the San Diego Chicken is a likable and popular mascot, you wouldn't put him in the game to bat in the bottom of the ninth.

The problem with treating Biden with kid's gloves is that he definitely won't be treated that way past the democrat primaries.  If he can't handle pretty reasonable and justified jabs by Castro, he'll get creamed in the real world of politics.

Biden is more than a mascot for Democrats for two big reasons.

First, older Black Voters trust and like him.

He was Barack Obama's running mate, after all.

And Black Voters largely sat out the 2016 election, hurting HRC.

I worked with two Black women, who were happy, happy, happy to vote for Obama twice.

They did not vote in 2016, despite me BEGGING them to do so.

The second reason Biden is so important, is electibility.

Democrats are wholly united in wanting Trump to be defeated.

Many Democrats believe Biden is one of the few who can attract moderates and Independents.

I have no skin in this game.

If Bozo The Clown is the Democratic nominee, that is who I will vote for.

There is no way, no how, I would cast a vote for Trump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×