Jump to content

Media behaving badly

Politics   (82,439 Views 875 Comments)
18,429 Visitors; 2,281 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.

You are reading page 8 of Media behaving badly. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

1 hour ago, nursej22 said:

I think Nathan Phillips was also badly mistreated , and continues to be maligned, as demonstrated by a previous poster. Unfortunately he does not have someone to hire him a fancy law firm to assist him to craft fancy statements or threaten law suits. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nathan-phillips-vietnam-veteran/

 

Did you watch the video posted in the opening post?

He injected himself into this situation.  He flat out lied about many things that happened or did not happen.  The Vietnam lie really isn’t important compared to the others.

That being said, he has in the past, if not also when this happened, state he was a Vietnam veteran and once described being treated badly when he came back.

He deserves to be maligned.

Either way, I guess the inaccurate reporting on that too helps prove my point about the media.

 

Edited by SC_RNDude
Edit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nathan Philip's is a liar who harassed a group of kids. He lied about being a Vietnam veteran who was in the theater working as a recon ranger who was honorably discharged. If fact he was in Calif working as a refrigerator mechanic who was discharged after being AWOL X3. 

He was supposed to be the adult in the room, not the aggressor/agitator. Again, look at the facts of the situation. He also lied about what happened there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Daisy4RN said:

Nathan Philip's is a liar who harassed a group of kids. He lied about being a Vietnam veteran who was in the theater working as a recon ranger who was honorably discharged. If fact he was in Calif working as a refrigerator mechanic who was discharged after being AWOL X3. 

He was supposed to be the adult in the room, not the aggressor/agitator. Again, look at the facts of the situation. He also lied about what happened there!

Again, Daisy, you support a liar and cheater on a daily basis: DJT.

So, what's your problem with Mr. Phillips lying about anything, or anybody lying?

You seem pretty comfortable with liars.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SC_RNDude said:

Did you watch the video posted in the opening post?

He injected himself into this situation.  He flat out lied about many things that happened or did not happen.  The Vietnam lie really isn’t important compared to the others.

That being said, he has in the past, if not also when this happened, state he was a Vietnam veteran and once described being treated badly when he came back.

He deserves to be maligned.

Either way, I guess the inaccurate reporting on that too helps prove my point about the media.

 

You have no point.

If you want to prove your point, tell us all the personal agenda of the reporters behind the NY Times piece I mentioned, and that herring linked to.

I noticed you have not backed up your opinion with any actual actions.

You have no point.

Just a lot of hot air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SC_RNDude said:

Opinion piece with examples of hyper precision fact-checking.  I particularly like Politico calling out Trump stating 1 in 3 women is assaulted on the trek through Mexico when the real number is 31%.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/09/impartial-fact-checkers-are-revealing-their-partisanship-against-trump/

Are you trying to pass off opinion as news?

This is an opinion piece, and is labeled as such.

Just one person's opinion, in a sea of many.

How do you know it is accurate?

Does it just fit your narrative?

Edited by Lil Nel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SC_RNDude said:

I first heard of this story when someone on Facebook posted a link to CNN.  I had a first bad impression of the smirking kid too from the video posted on CNN. 

Within a few minutes I found longer videos on YouTube that showed a different story.

CNN and others were slow to correct themselves.  I know as I saw many news outlets websites that day (the day after I believe, possibly two) as I was in a Facebook discussion over this.

Anyway, shouldnt CNN and others take a few minutes to do a little investigating.  Obviously several people took videos, and many people posted them in Twitter, Facebook, YouTube.  How did they end up with the one that shows the incident in a different light then all the rest?

Do you know if all those vids were posted at the same time? Maybe they were.  Maybe they should have scoured YouTube and Facebook but it would have been very hard to find a video that only had a few views verses on that is viral.

For example can you find my dad's video with six views of him playing the guitar.  Or can you find Ariana Grande better.

I can't tell you how to interpret things.  The story I saw on CNN was them merely reporting what social media was saying.  Social media was portraying him in a bad light.  Whether they reported the alternate story, told his side of the story, offered those other vids,  fast enough for you is your expectations.  For me it came out pretty fast.  

But pretty much all media has segments on viral videos.

Edited by Tweety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tweety said:

Do you know if all those vids were posted at the same time? Maybe they were.  Maybe they should have scoured YouTube and Facebook but it would have been very hard to find a video that only had a few views verses on that is viral.

For example can you find my dad's video with six views of him playing the guitar.  Or can you find Ariana Grande better.

I can't tell you how to interpret things.  The story I saw on CNN was them merely reporting what social media was saying.  Social media was portraying him in a bad light.  Whether they reported the alternate story, told his side of the story, offered those other vids,  fast enough for you is your expectations.  For me it came out pretty fast.  

But pretty much all media has segments on viral videos.

I didn’t “scour” the internet.  I found the videos pretty easy.  They were on alternative sites before CNN and some others.

Regardless of how fast they try to fix things,  shouldn’t we have the expectation that our major news sources make an attempt to get the story right before he first time?  White kid in MAGA hat smirking a Native American.  That was just too juicy for them to pass up.

If they’re going to rush a story simply because it’s viral on social media, what do we need them for?  I can see the story without them.  In fact, I did.  I saw both sides of the story without them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SC_RNDude said:

So, you don’t believe that kid was badly mistreated by the media? 

Not living in doubt.  I just don’t know what your speaking about with Hannity as I don’t listen to him.  I think he’s a little , even a lot over the top.  So maybe that’s what we do agree on.  He doesn’t concern me as much as supposed journalists do as he is obviously a opinion commentator.  I feel the same about Rachel Maddow.

However, if either of them called a innocent 16 year old a “prick”, and joked that he doesn’t understand what the priests see in these young boys like Maher did,I would have a problem.  And if was Hannity or some other conservative who said something like that there would be protests and boycotts.

You haven’t really provided any examples of the repeated behavior of the right wing media for me to agree or disagree with you on. Just generalities.

 

I think the kid was misbehaving while representing his all boys Catholic School at an anti abortion rally while wearing the maga gear of a well known bully. I think that the group was poorly chaperoned and this were noted behaving like an unruly mob on more than one occasion.  I think that I don't have to listen to pundits to know what I saw.  I think that now he's been called out for his own childish behavior, he is not so smug.  I think that his parents think it's a good idea to try to prove that their son didn't act like a privileged bully by suing people who might characterize his behavior in that way.  That's a pretty tedious trapping of privilege right there. 

I do wonder why you are conflating a comedian's programming or jokes with journalism. I don't care if you watch or listen to Hannity, just like I don't care if you actually watch Real Time. I care that you are willing to pretend like one misbehavior is somehow worse than Hannity's or Pirrone's, or Ingraham' s. Wasnt it Laura Ingraham that mocked a Parkland survivor and activist about college? I don't see or heart about any outraged conservatives boycotting Fox over that. 

Yeah, I mentioned examples of Hannity's misbehavior. There are lots of examples of media misbehavior available from Fox programming alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SC_RNDude said:

I first heard of this story when someone on Facebook posted a link to CNN.  I had a first bad impression of the smirking kid too from the video posted on CNN. 

Within a few minutes I found longer videos on YouTube that showed a different story.

CNN and others were slow to correct themselves.  I know as I saw many news outlets websites that day (the day after I believe, possibly two) as I was in a Facebook discussion over this.

Anyway, shouldnt CNN and others take a few minutes to do a little investigating.  Obviously several people took videos, and many people posted them in Twitter, Facebook, YouTube.  How did they end up with the one that shows the incident in a different light then all the rest?

This was my experience as well and I even made a comment about the young man's smirking face.  I wonder if the reaction would have been different if it had just been a kid with a sweet demeanor who simply did what this young man did . . . stand there respectfully and just smile?  

It was a huge brouhaha in the first 24-48 hours due to media outlets NOT taking the time to do a tad bit of research.  Ugly, horrible things were said about the young man and the other kids.  There were violent threats.  

Regardless of our political stance on things, shouldn't we all condemn that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

. . ."The “tu quoque,” Latin for “you too,” is also called the “appeal to hypocrisy” because it distracts from the argument by pointing out hypocrisy in the opponent. This tactic doesn’t solve the problem, or prove one’s point, because even hypocrites can tell the truth. Focusing on the other person’s hypocrisy is a diversionary tactic. In this way, the tu quoque typically deflects criticism away from one’s self by accusing the other person of the same problem or something comparable..."

SC_RNDude's thread is about "Media behaving badly".  We should take each circumstance and debate it individually and not use other examples of badly behaving media to negate the conversation about another example of badly behaving media.  

"Maybe my side stole some candy from the vending machine, but so did your side Sally".

That's not a good argument . . .falls in line with logical fallacies from debate class teaching us how not to debate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Spidey's mom said:

This was my experience as well and I even made a comment about the young man's smirking face.  I wonder if the reaction would have been different if it had just been a kid with a sweet demeanor who simply did what this young man did . . . stand there respectfully and just smile?  

It was a huge brouhaha in the first 24-48 hours due to media outlets NOT taking the time to do a tad bit of research.  Ugly, horrible things were said about the young man and the other kids.  There were violent threats.  

Regardless of our political stance on things, shouldn't we all condemn that?

The kid didn't just stand there and smile, though. Now, because the group was poorly chaperoned and allowed to misbehave, he is suffering the public consequences of bad choices. 

I only watched portions of media content on the typical and commonly seen adolescent behavior when they were brought to my attention by others.  That caused me to look for other, specific, information about the school, that group's schedule for the day, and the expectarions for chaperones. I read local reporting about the school's sports program in local and regional media, going back several years. I watched a number of videos of the group, from different angles. I didn't watch cable coverage of the group unless it was specifically brought to my attention. 

I think that this thread is evidence that the treatment of this specific kid inflames people in ways that mistreatment of Parkland survivors or immigrant teens does not. 

In my view, the smirk was and is not news. The real news, IMV, is how important it seems to sort people according to how they viewed this kid's attitude.  Maybe we are sorting according to whether or not we ever felt the sting of a mob that looked and sounded much like those boys.

We can see the smirk, the mocking and laughing mob, and the absence of chaperone presence. Why do some groups of adolescent males behave like that? I don't know. My group of friends didn't, but I was very aware of others who did. (Not that we didn't do our share of stupid crap) 

Everyone can agree that threats of violence are a real problem in this country. It's pretty remarkable how much traction this story is getting.  This thread, for instance and in my view, represents an odd fixation on this specific incident. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×