I got the new job, but...

  1. I was so excited about this new job offer, and then they called me to "officially" extend the offer today...

    I originally applied for full-time, days, coronary ICU. As a new grad, did I think I would get this? NO. But, when I interviewed, the manager said that yes, in fact she did have an opening on days. Woot! I was pumped.

    And then, I get the official offer today. An internal bid was placed on the day postition.

    So, now my options are

    (1)-stay at the small town, community hospital on nights forever, keep my "hospital seniority", and work with people that I respect like my family


    (2)-take the big city plunge, in the speciality area that I am bound determined to work in, start over with new people, no seniority, and stay on nights forever and a week?

    I really am interested in the place where I interviewed, but on the other hand, I'm not sure if I want to lose the security of my job I have right now.

    HELP!!! Any advice????
  2. Visit MelRN13 profile page

    About MelRN13

    Joined: Sep '02; Posts: 940; Likes: 18
    Nurse Manager
    Specialty: 9 year(s) of experience in critical care, med/surg


  3. by   sunnygirl272
  4. by   Hidi74
    Go for it!!!!
  5. by   MelRN13
    :chuckle According to sunnygirl's coin toss, the probability is good that I should take the job.
  6. by   aimeee
    Sounds like its nights no matter which job you take, though with the turnover in today's market you may be able to move into a day position fairly quickly. So, it all depends on how YOU feel. Only you know how much weight you place on each of the factors, but its sounds from your post like you want to take the new job and just have some mild trepidations about jumping into the unknown. It its what you want, go for it!
  7. by   Lausana
    Congrats on the offer Melissa! (I think you should go for it!)
  8. by   Tweety
    I like life in the big city. I would take the city job, but that's just me.

    Good luck whatever you decide.
  9. by   jevans
    I would sit down and write a list of pros vs cons

    Also ask yourself why did I apply for the job?

    Will it enhance my career by staying or going to the new place?

    But what ever you decide........it is not forever! there are always opportunities

    Good luck
  10. by   FullMoonMadness
    If you truly want to specialize in coronary ICU, go for it.Thats where I want to end up too. I think hearts are fascinating.Nights might be a good place to learn as well.Whatever you do,good luck.
    P.S. Will a night job affect your marriage plans?
  11. by   Rustyhammer
    It's too bad you couldn't take the new job for a "test drive".
    You know, work it for a week or two and then make a decision.
    You know what you got now and you will never know how great the new job is (or lousy) until you try it.
    It's a gamble. Roll the dice and see if you win.
  12. by   Mimi Wheeze
    Melissa, do you have a "gut feeling" about your decision?

    I truly believe many women ignore their gut feelings and tend to over-think things. I was given some wise advice a few years ago, to go with my gut, and it has helped me ever since.

    So, what is your gut telling you?
  13. by   shrinkyrn
    Chances of moving to days at the city hospital are probably greater, staff seem to move or at least move around more. You'll probably have a wider range of experiences and obtain a broader knowledge base, esp. if it's a big city teaching hospital. You'll never know unless you do it-- take risks!!!! !!!!
  14. by   KC CHICK
    Let's see...I've done this before. Go ahead and accept the night position...then interview for the day position. Best bet is, you'll get two job offers...then you can take the one that is best suited for you.

    Last fall, I interveiwed at two units. One, a PICU at a local children's hospital. The other, the telemetry unit at my hospital. I got the interview and offer from tele first and took it. I then interviewed for the position at the children's hospital and also got the offer from PICU......was about to take it and then found out that the pay was much less and turned it down. I also liked being able to stay within my present hospital system.

    I'd interview for the position at your facility and see what pans out.

    PS. I just read your original post again...are there two positions you're looking at...or are you debating whether you want to stay in your present position? I can't tell.
    Last edit by KC CHICK on Mar 19, '03