Jump to content
chare chare (Platinum) Platinum

Kirstjen Nielsen Leaving Position as Homeland Security Secretary

Politics   (891 Views 25 Comments)
47,939 Visitors; 493 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.
advertisement

Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen resigned on Sunday after mounting frustration by President Donald Trump over his administration's failure to stop the flow of migrants into the country.

Trump announced the resignation on Twitter, and Nielsen issued a resignation letter a few minutes later.

[…]


Kirstjen Nielsen leaving position as homeland security secretary, Trump says
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote from Speaker Pelosi:

Nancy Pelosi on Nielsen's resignation: "It is deeply alarming that the Trump Administration official who put children in cages is reportedly resigning because she is not extreme enough for the White House's liking."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nursej22 said:

Quote from Speaker Pelosi:

Nancy Pelosi on Nielsen's resignation: "It is deeply alarming that the Trump Administration official who put children in cages is reportedly resigning because she is not extreme enough for the White House's liking."

I have to agree with Speaker Pelosi's assessment.

But my guess is that there is much more to the story.

We will eventually find out the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like so many other actions by this administration, Nielsen's resignation/replacement/firing has been bungled: 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6898967/Nielsen-extends-stay-DHS-orderly-transition-Trump-misstep.html

Quote
  • Donald Trump said Sunday night that Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen would be leaving the administration
  • She tweeted a copy of her resignation letter, which said April 7 was her last day
  • Later amended her departure to Wednesday, April 10, after lawyers said he could not make his chosen replacement the acting DHS secretary
  • He said Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan will be acting secretary, even though U.S. Code says the job must go to Claire Grady

And now he has apparently fired the head of the Secret Service. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-04-08/trump-ousts-secret-service-director-report

Quote

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP on Monday reportedly fired the head of the Secret Service.

Trump instructed top officials to remove Secret Service Director Randolph "Tex" Alles from his position, just under two years after Alles was appointed for the post near the start of the Trump administration in April 2017, according to CNN, which first reported the move.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nursej22 said:

Like so many other actions by this administration, Nielsen's resignation/replacement/firing has been bungled: 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6898967/Nielsen-extends-stay-DHS-orderly-transition-Trump-misstep.html

And now he has apparently fired the head of the Secret Service. 

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-04-08/trump-ousts-secret-service-director-report

 

He is completely unhinged.

This is not the behavior of a rational, mentally balanced person.

We should all be very afraid.

There is no adult in the room. They have all either be forced out, or abandoned ship.

Scary, scary times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a curious thing that the GOP cannot  seem to recognize the many obvious signs that they are enabling a dangerous and unstable authoritarian who has no interest in governing for We the People but is excited about derugulating capitalism and advancing the cruelty of white nationalism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement
1 hour ago, toomuchbaloney said:

It is a curious thing that the GOP cannot  seem to recognize the many obvious signs that they are enabling a dangerous and unstable authoritarian who has no interest in governing for We the People but is excited about derugulating capitalism and advancing the cruelty of white nationalism.

Trumpsters would do themselves a big favor to understand how democracy is lost, and authoritarianism moves it.

But that would require intellectual curiosity, and a willingness to look at other societies.

And I don't think they are capable of doing those basic things.

So long as Trump keeps his rabid base placated, they will accept anything.

Which is why political action and voting is so important in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever Trump and Friends inject their evil into the world, I counter with an act of kindness, towards their object of evil.

Over the weekend, I heard an NPR story about a nonprofit in Brownsville, TX, that is helping immigrants, released from Border Patrol custody.

I called the organization today, to ask what help they need.

They have enough clothing.

They need groceries.

I will send them a check tomorrow.

The best way to counter the harms inflicted by DJT and supporters, is to help those the rabid right loves to hate.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things are BAD when Chuck Grassley admonishes Trump not to fire more DHS employees.

Grassley actually used the word stability, which indicates he thinks Trump is unstable.

More like unhinged lunatic, but I won't split hairs with Senator Grassley, this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lil Nel said:

Things are BAD when Chuck Grassley admonishes Trump not to fire more DHS employees.

[...]

I was unable to locate the article you're referring to so am unsure in what context Mr. Grassley made his comments.  However, when you consider that firing Ms. Grady and assigning Mr. McAleenan as acting DHS Secretary would result in eight senior positions either being unfilled or filled as acting positions, my suspicion is that Mr. Grassley's stability comments referred to the leadership at DHS, and not Mr. Trumps mental status.

Edited by chare
Updated link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chare said:

I was unable to locate the article you're referring to so am unsure in what context Mr. Grassley made his comments.  However, when you consider that firing Ms. Grady and assigning Mr. McAleenan as acting DHS Secretary would result in eight senior positions either being unfilled or filled as acting positions, my suspicion is that Mr. Grassley's stability comments referred to the leadership at DHS, and not Mr. Trumps mental status.

The piece ran in yesterday's Washington Post.

I agree with your assessment, Chare.

Grassley's use of the word stability, was in reference to DHS.

But, but, I believe a lack of stability within various governmental departments, reflects chaos.

And we have witnessed how much Trump enjoys chaos, and seems to think it is an effective way to run government.

To me, that reflects his unstability as a leader.

My post, the one you quoted, I only used the word unstable, but didn't reference his mental status.

Others posts have referred his mental status.

Chaos and instability isn't how a supposed super power should operate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chare said:

I was unable to locate the article you're referring to so am unsure in what context Mr. Grassley made his comments.  However, when you consider that firing Ms. Grady and assigning Mr. McAleenan as acting DHS Secretary would result in eight senior positions either being unfilled or filled as acting positions, my suspicion is that Mr. Grassley's stability comments referred to the leadership at DHS, and not Mr. Trumps mental status.

The article is still on WaPo web site, Chare.

Chuck Grassley Warns Trump Not To Oust...

Grassley defends the professionalism and civil service of those who were fired yesterday.

He also stresses that these folks were carrying out the work Trump wanted done.

So I think the stability remark could go in two different directions.

Grassley rarely rebukes Trump.

This is a loud rebuke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×