Jump to content

I'm a conservative, and i went to an alexandria ocasio-cortez rally

Politics   (62,476 Views 474 Comments)
6 Followers; 99,386 Visitors; 15,988 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.

You are reading page 27 of I'm a conservative, and i went to an alexandria ocasio-cortez rally. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

well, if you don't think it is socialism then what do you think it is, and how will it work?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Daisy4RN said:

I think this is quite different!

I'm glad.  But should the government get involved in land protection?  Shouldn't people be free to do what they want with the land....like build hotels, drill for oil and things like that?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Daisy4RN said:

well, if you don't think it is socialism then what do you think it is, and how will it work?

 

I think it's an environmental policy and plan.  The right wing, Fox News, and conservative press is all over the idea that it's socialism so I won't try to convince you otherwise. I don't have a crystal ball and the goals of the plan are quite difficult.  

I will echo what I said earlier in this or another thread.  FDR instituted a lot of social welfare programs during his time and people still prospered and got rich.  In fact a middle class that drove the world's economy was created.  His "New Deal" didn't do away with capitalism despite a very high tax rate for the rich.

I've also said before that left to their own devices and smaller government corporations will pollute and destroy for immediate profit.

Trump Tweeted "I think it is very important for the Democrats to press forward with their Green New Deal. It would be great for the so-called “Carbon Footprint” to permanently eliminate all Planes, Cars, Cows, Oil, Gas & the Military - even if no other country would do the same. Brilliant!"

Really, is there any reasonably intelligent person that believes this?

Concern for Climate Change and the environment is a big concern for Americans right now.  

http://climatecommunication.yale.edu/publications/climate-change-in-the-american-mind-december-2018/

 

 

 

Edited by Tweety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say I fully endorse her plan and have to think about it and study it some to make an informed decision.

What I do know is this:  we can not continue on the path we're on.  Deregulation and not looking forward to green alternatives and claiming climate change isn't real is the wrong thing to do.

I've said it before that even if people don't believe in climate change being caused by pollution, can we agree that something needs to be done about pollution, and that we need to deal with climate change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tweety said:

I can't say I fully endorse her plan and have to think about it and study it some to make an informed decision.

What I do know is this:  we can not continue on the path we're on.  Deregulation and not looking forward to green alternatives and claiming climate change isn't real is the wrong thing to do.

I've said it before that even if people don't believe in climate change being caused by pollution, can we agree that something needs to be done about pollution, and that we need to deal with climate change?

It is a resolution, not a bill that can become a law.

 https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/resolution 

Here’s the full text of Congress’ Green New Deal resolution: http://redgreenandblue.org/2019/02/07/heres-full-text-congress-green-new-deal-resolution-introduced-rep-alexandra-ocasio-cortez/

I am glad for the socialized police force in my city, the county fire department with fire fighters, paramedics, EMTs and drivers who save lives every day, public schools where like most Americans I was blessed with an education, the streets and highways, the parks, the FDA that works to keep our food and medication safe, for social security so older Americans have some income, for Medicare so people too old, disabled, or sick can have healthcare, socialized trash collection and sewer service, our military, and libraries. What did I miss?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, herring_RN said:

It is a resolution, not a bill that can become a law.

 https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/resolution 

Here’s the full text of Congress’ Green New Deal resolution: http://redgreenandblue.org/2019/02/07/heres-full-text-congress-green-new-deal-resolution-introduced-rep-alexandra-ocasio-cortez/

I am glad for the socialized police force in my city, the county fire department with fire fighters, paramedics, EMTs and drivers who save lives every day, public schools where like most Americans I was blessed with an education, the streets and highways, the parks, the FDA that works to keep our food and medication safe, for social security so older Americans have some income, for Medicare so people too old, disabled, or sick can have healthcare, socialized trash collection and sewer service, our military, and libraries. What did I miss?

I am not sure the terminology matters too much at this point. They obviously want to go forward with the plan. While I agree that some government agencies are necessary I dont agree with more Gov involvement than is necessary. When the Gov takes on projects it seems to often waste tax payer money with incompetence and or corruption. See the Calif bullet train for example. 

https://www.city-journal.org/californias-high-speed-rail-project

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/12/californias-77-billion-high-speed-rail-project-is-in-trouble.html

This was downsized by the Governor today but probably should have been totally scrapped, a total waste!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The terminology matters a great deal. That's why Trump is busily using specific words to manipulate conservative voters.  We've long known that Republican rhetoric on abortion and guns gets very serious in election years, now we can add socialism to the list of trigger words. 

I lived in a small rural town that had passenger rail service.  I regularly traveled to Chicago, Ann Arbor, and Detroit without unparking my car.  The USA would benefit from better access to mass transportation, in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 7:56 PM, SC_RNDude said:

An AOC advisor went on Tucker Carlson and said that Republicans had doctored and circulated a hoax version of the Green New Deal overview and faq document.

Hiwever, since I posted that I have learned that he has admitted that didn’t happen.  https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ocasio-cortez-adviser-admits-he-falsely-claimed-green-new-deal-didnt-promise-security-for-those-unwilling-to-work

In summary:

The New Green Deal overview and faq document is published as a press release on her website.

After much criticism and mocking by various types of folks from both sides, an advisor realizes how bad it is and goes on Carlson claiming there is some sort of hoax version circulated by Republicans and far right websites that includes references to farting cows, paychecks to those unwilling to work, etc.

Realizing the original version is still available on NPR’s website https://apps.npr.org/documents/document.html?id=5729035-Green-New-Deal-FAQ, the advisor now admits his claim of the hoax document was false.

Currently, there is no press release of any kind regarding Green New Deal, or any mention of it at all on AOC’s website.

 

 

 

What students think of Green New Deal:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Daisy4RN said:

well, if you don't think it is socialism then what do you think it is, and how will it work?

 

It isn't Socialism.

It is called trying to save the planet, for ourselves, and future generations.

You don't seem to realize that climate change is already costing YOU, and the rest of us lots and lots of money.

Climate change is already producing stronger, and wetter hurricanes, and droughts that produce conditions that give us deadly wildfires.

We know this.

You may think it is simply weather, but science tells us more drastic weather is the result of climate change.

We all pay for the aftermath of these tragedies.

And if you don't like illegal immigration now, you will really hate it when we start to see folks immigrating because of draught, flooding etc., and an inability to grow crops.

There is plenty of information out there on the topic, Daisy.

Avail yourself to it.

I don't know how the Green Deal will be implemented.

That isn't my job.

That is the job of Congress.

But I can tell you something needs to be done, and DJT, has only made environmental problems worse.

Keeping coal-fired power plants around, as he is insisting the TVA do, is stupid. It harms all us. His little buddy, Mitch McConnell, is down with the idea too.

The TVA, wants to shut it down.

Filling the air with more pollutants, while doing nothing to deter climate change, only harms all of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SC_RNDude said:

What students think of Green New Deal:

 

Oh, is this another one of your right wing, faux, as in fake, man on the street pieces?

You've shared them before.

I won't bother to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×