Jump to content
KonichiwaRN KonichiwaRN (Member) Nurse

I guess this is another fake deal by Trump?

Politics   (544 Views 51 Comments)
120 Visitors; 204 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.
advertisement

Fake this or that is largely the game of Trump used as a tool to dismiss or diiminish anything with which Trump disagrees.  Others use it primarily to either mock or mimic Trump. The Trumpian fixation on "fake news" is a clear symptom of his authoritarianism and fascist ideation.

Would you prefer to talk about corporate altruism in the USA or the fakery of Trump?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's insanity to "expect" a company to do good for society.

They are in it to make money. They are in it to make profit. They are in it to provide us (consumers) with a service (product) and it is up to us to want it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That a drug maker can make this donation is testimony to the tremendous profit they yield.  Good for them.

 I do understand that corporations are out to make money.  I can also agree that it shouldn't be an expectation that they give that money away, nor should they be forced to.  Can you provide links to legislation that is forcing companies to do so?  

I do know the government encourages it through tax deductions for charitable giving.

Altruism in part can be a marketing strategy to get attention and make more money.   An example would be a chocolate maker that I like that donates 10% of profits to animal welfare.  I chose that over another product.  

Also it can backfire.  An example would be the LGBT community's boycott of Chick Fil-A do their donations to anti-gay organizations.  However, when this came out,  people that didn't approve of gay marriage handed Chick Fil-A one of their most profitable days ever.  

http://fortune.com/2016/08/11/millennials-philanthropy/

Edited by Tweety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stress this point to people who seem to "hate" Capitalism.

 

Nobody is forcing you to purchase their product(s). Companies exist as ideas materialize, and need a platform to deliver those idea(s) to the consumers.

 

Again, nobody forces anyone to purchase anything. Well, unless it's insurance but that's another story. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be a real desire here to agitate progressives. Doesnt everyone purchase food, health care, and energy? Those who live at the edges of civilization tend to purchase less of those things but...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement

Do we have bread lines here in this nation like the U.S.S.R where one product is offered? Well, unless you're Bernie Sanders who thinks it's a good thing: "Sen. Bernie Sanders (I., Vt.) in 1985 praised countries where people "line up for food," calling breadlines a "good thing (Washington Beacon, 2019)."

https://freebeacon.com/politics/sanders-breadlines-are-a-good-thing/

 

We have choices. LOTS of choices when it comes to:

Food, Health Care, and Energy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, KonichiwaRN said:

I think it's insanity to "expect" a company to do good for society.

They are in it to make money. They are in it to make profit. They are in it to provide us (consumers) with a service (product) and it is up to us to want it or not.

I didn't read the article you posted, as the topic doesn't hold much interest for me.

But after reading Tweety's response, I gather it has something to do with a drug maker.

Easy enough to address, without working up any kind of sweat!

The US government actually funds a lot of drug research.

So, if this company received any kind of taxpayer subsidy, and it is likely they did, they should make a large contribution.

Also, US Tax laws allow for the "write-off" of charitable contributions.

So, this whole thread is a great big YAWN and STRETCH.

Pharmaceuticals get government hand-outs.

Do you know why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tweety said:

Can you provide links to legislation that is forcing companies to do so?  

They tried (and are trying).

"The abrupt reversal enraged some supporters of the "head" tax, who argued that wealthy corporations in the city can afford to pay more to address homelessness. The measure, passed unanimously by the city council last month, levied a $275-per-employee tax on companies with at least $20 million in gross annual revenue (Washington Post, 2018)."

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/06/12/seattle-backs-off-tax-to-help-homeless-after-amazon-business-groups-mount-fierce-opposition/?utm_term=.bfe981436890

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KonichiwaRN said:

Do we have bread lines here in this nation like the U.S.S.R where one product is offered? Well, unless you're Bernie Sanders who thinks it's a good thing: "Sen. Bernie Sanders (I., Vt.) in 1985 praised countries where people "line up for food," calling breadlines a "good thing (Washington Beacon, 2019)."

https://freebeacon.com/politics/sanders-breadlines-are-a-good-thing/

 

We have choices. LOTS of choices when it comes to:

Food, Health Care, and Energy.

Ah.

The Freebeacon.

Started by a Trumpster, and quoted by Trumpsters.

My sides hurt from laughing at the quote you used.

From 1985???????

Back to unfettered laughter.

Is this 2019?

Is Bernie Sanders still alive and talking?

Has he said anything SINCE 1985????

More unfettered laughter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KonichiwaRN said:

They tried (and are trying).

"The abrupt reversal enraged some supporters of the "head" tax, who argued that wealthy corporations in the city can afford to pay more to address homelessness. The measure, passed unanimously by the city council last month, levied a $275-per-employee tax on companies with at least $20 million in gross annual revenue (Washington Post, 2018)."

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/06/12/seattle-backs-off-tax-to-help-homeless-after-amazon-business-groups-mount-fierce-opposition/?utm_term=.bfe981436890

Sounds good to me.

A small tax, that the likes of Amazon can afford, to help combat a problem, they helped to create.

Especially since Amazon pays NO federal taxes.

Did you see that Amazon is being sued for discrimination against Muslim employees?

Read about it today in the WaPo.

Just a typical day in the US!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, KonichiwaRN said:

Do we have bread lines here in this nation like the U.S.S.R where one product is offered? Well, unless you're Bernie Sanders who thinks it's a good thing: "Sen. Bernie Sanders (I., Vt.) in 1985 praised countries where people "line up for food," calling breadlines a "good thing (Washington Beacon, 2019)."

https://freebeacon.com/politics/sanders-breadlines-are-a-good-thing/

 

We have choices. LOTS of choices when it comes to:

Food, Health Care, and Energy.

Oops. The quote was purposefully misleading.

Bernie said, ""You know, it's funny, sometimes American journalists talk about how bad a country is because people are lining up for food," Sanders said. "That's a good thing. In other countries people don't line up for food. The rich get the food, and the poor starve to death."

It is not possible to have a discussion. I'm done!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×