Jump to content

Domestic Terrorism

Politics   (160,741 Views 221 Comments)
7 Followers; 34,890 Visitors; 2,382 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.

You are reading page 18 of Domestic Terrorism. If you want to start from the beginning Go to First Page.

9 hours ago, amoLucia said:

^^^

Ain't gonna happen in my time or any other time soon!

Sad!

It is sad because Texans will continue to be the victims of gun violence, while subject to thoughts and prayers.

It is sad that some people value cold, metal over the lives of human beings.

It is way of thinking that I am proud not to understand.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walmart to no longer sell certain ammunition, ask customers to stop open carry in stores

In the wake of a rash of mass shootings that have left the country reeling, Walmart will stop selling certain forms of ammunition, ask customers to no longer openly carry guns in their stores, and call on President Donald Trump and other lawmakers to pass background checks legislation.

The nation's largest retailer, which previously stopped selling handguns, will now stop selling handgun ammunition as well. And it will no longer make available the types of bullets that while used in hunting rifles can also be fired by military-style weapons.

Additionally, in the more than two dozen states with open carry laws, Walmart is "respectfully requesting that customers no longer openly carry firearms into our stores and Sam's Clubs ... unless they are authorized law enforcement officers,'' said Dan Bartlett, executive vice president of corporate affairs....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/09/03/walmart-stop-selling-ammunition-call-congress-new-laws/2198475001/

Quote

Walmart to stop selling ammo: CEO Doug McMillon outlines mass shootings' response in memo

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/09/03/walmart-stop-selling-ammunition-call-congress-new-laws/2198475001/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, herring_RN said:

Walmart to no longer sell certain ammunition, ask customers to stop open carry in stores

In the wake of a rash of mass shootings that have left the country reeling, Walmart will stop selling certain forms of ammunition, ask customers to no longer openly carry guns in their stores, and call on President Donald Trump and other lawmakers to pass background checks legislation.

The nation's largest retailer, which previously stopped selling handguns, will now stop selling handgun ammunition as well. And it will no longer make available the types of bullets that while used in hunting rifles can also be fired by military-style weapons.

Additionally, in the more than two dozen states with open carry laws, Walmart is "respectfully requesting that customers no longer openly carry firearms into our stores and Sam's Clubs ... unless they are authorized law enforcement officers,'' said Dan Bartlett, executive vice president of corporate affairs....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/09/03/walmart-stop-selling-ammunition-call-congress-new-laws/2198475001/

 

I heard this on NPR.

Frankly, it is pathetic when private businesses are moving faster than our own government on issues concerning public safety.

Of course, I really blame Mitch McConnell.

He is an absolute coward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bills have been passed with bipartisan majorities in the House of Representatives and sent to the Senate for a vote. It is NOT "Government Of, by, or for the people" for Senator McConnell to refuse  to allow the Senate to vote for or against them. Should one or more pass any bills President Trump vetoes should be voted on again to hopefully override the veto. Best would be for life saving bills to pass with a veto proof majority. 

Most nationally elected Republicans are NOT pro-life, in my opinion. Doing NOTHING to prevent more killing is NOT pro-life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-many-more-names-will-be-added-to-the-list-before-mitch-mcconnell-acts-on-guns/2019/09/03/5c111634-ba07-11e9-b3b4-2bb69e8c4e39_story.html 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Family seeks answers after police kill Texas woman at home

Her family told KXAS television that Jefferson was watching her 8-year-old nephew when she was killed early Saturday while police checked on the home after a neighbor called a police non-emergency line to report that the front door was open.

The Fort Worth Police Department said in a statement that officers saw someone near a window inside the home and that one of them drew his duty weapon and fired after “perceiving a threat.” The video released by police shows two officers searching the home from the outside with flashlights before one shouts, “Put your hands up, show me your hands.” One shot is then fired through a window. The officer does not identify himself as police in the video...

...   Neighbor James Smith, who called police about the open door, told reporters he was just trying to be a good neighbor. “I’m shaken. I’m mad. I’m upset. And I feel it’s partly my fault,” Smith said. “If I had never dialed the police department, she’d still be alive.” Smith said Jefferson and her nephew typically lived with an older woman, who’s been in the hospital. “It makes you not want to call the police department,” he said...

...   The Fort Worth Police Department said it released bodycam footage soon after the shooting to provide transparency, but that any “camera footage inside the residence” could not be distributed due to state law. However, the bodycam video released to media included blurred still frames showing a gun inside a bedroom at the home. It’s unclear if the firearm was found near the woman. Police did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment Sunday, and the statement released Saturday made no mention of the weapon...

https://apnews.com/1bc99354e6c64b1a9428afd6c3c1c47c 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, herring_RN said:

Family seeks answers after police kill Texas woman at home

Her family told KXAS television that Jefferson was watching her 8-year-old nephew when she was killed early Saturday while police checked on the home after a neighbor called a police non-emergency line to report that the front door was open.

The Fort Worth Police Department said in a statement that officers saw someone near a window inside the home and that one of them drew his duty weapon and fired after “perceiving a threat.” The video released by police shows two officers searching the home from the outside with flashlights before one shouts, “Put your hands up, show me your hands.” One shot is then fired through a window. The officer does not identify himself as police in the video...

...   Neighbor James Smith, who called police about the open door, told reporters he was just trying to be a good neighbor. “I’m shaken. I’m mad. I’m upset. And I feel it’s partly my fault,” Smith said. “If I had never dialed the police department, she’d still be alive.” Smith said Jefferson and her nephew typically lived with an older woman, who’s been in the hospital. “It makes you not want to call the police department,” he said...

...   The Fort Worth Police Department said it released bodycam footage soon after the shooting to provide transparency, but that any “camera footage inside the residence” could not be distributed due to state law. However, the bodycam video released to media included blurred still frames showing a gun inside a bedroom at the home. It’s unclear if the firearm was found near the woman. Police did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment Sunday, and the statement released Saturday made no mention of the weapon...

https://apnews.com/1bc99354e6c64b1a9428afd6c3c1c47c 

 

 

I would expect that there might be a firearm in a Texas residence. It will be interesting to watch this unfold. Similar evidence against a health professional would end a career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About 15 years ago a nurse friend's husband graduated from the police academy and quit during orientation.

As he told me he and his partner responded to a domestic violence call. A man held  hammer as he punched the woman with the other hand. His partner shouted, "Drop your weapon!" and then shot at the man. A big dog jumped on the man, knocking him down. The dog was shot dead. 

My friend's husband resigned that day. He said he 'froze', began shaking and his teeth were chattering. 

Later he realized his partner shot because he was too frightened to realize the man had not heard the order and didn't drop the hammer. He believes he could never learn to think clearly in a similar situation. He now works s a unit secretary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toomuchbaloney said:

I would expect that there might be a firearm in a Texas residence. It will be interesting to watch this unfold. Similar evidence against a health professional would end a career. 

The WaPo story I read about this, quoted a figure of over 1000 Americans, killed by cops, so far, this year.

How many, are innocent minorities, like this woman?

I don't know.

But I am pretty sure, if we broke it down by race, we would see Blacks killed at higher numbers than Whites.

Yes, race plays a factor in these killings.

And the point you made, about firearms in homes, is one reason why cops generally don't support weak gun laws.

Those weak laws make their tough jobs, tougher.

I never understood why "good guys" need to constantly carry guns.

I consider myself a "good" person. However, I don't feel the need to own a gun, let alone carry one in my car, to the grocery store or to the movies.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2019 at 6:04 AM, Lil Nel said:

It is sad because Texans will continue to be the victims of gun violence, while subject to thoughts and prayers.

It is sad that some people value cold, metal over the lives of human beings.

It is way of thinking that I am proud not to understand.

2 People Killed, 12 Others Wounded During Mass Shooting At Homecoming Party In Greenville Texas on October 27, 2019 

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/10/27/breaking-2-killed-14-wounded-party-venue-shooting-texas-a-m-commerce/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Supreme Court’s Sandy Hook ruling is a welcome victory for gun violence victims

GUN MAKERS and sellers have never really had to account for the deadly consequences of their products because of an unusual federal law enacted in 2005 that gives them immunity from most lawsuits. So the Supreme Court’s decision not to block a lawsuit brought in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting is a significant — and welcome — development. It may give the families of the victims their day in court while providing a road map for victims of other mass shootings who seek answers and some measure of justice.

The Supreme Court announced Tuesday it would not consider an appeal from the manufacturer of the assault weapon used in the Dec. 14, 2012, massacre in Newtown, Conn., that took the lives of 20 first-graders and six educators. The decision, issued without comment from any individual justice, lets stand a groundbreaking ruling from the Connecticut Supreme Court that found an exception in federal law allowing the manufacturer to be sued and potentially held liable under state law regarding unfair trade practices.

The case against Remington Arms, brought by relatives of nine victims who died and a survivor of the shooting, focused on how the AR-15-style Bushmaster used in the attack was marketed with militaristic and hypermasculine advertising and used product placement in videos to appeal to younger, at-risk males. The suit alleges it was no accident that the troubled 20-year-old Sandy Hook gunman chose this particular weapon — promoted under slogans like “Consider your man card reissued” — to carry out a murderous rampage that took less than five minutes...

...   They still must go to trial and convince a jury that Remington is liable for the deaths of their loved ones. But by bringing the case to trial, they hope to get access to information long kept private by the gun industry that will provide insights into how the industry operates. “The families are grateful that the Supreme Court . . . denied Remington’s latest attempt to avoid accountability,” said Joshua Koskoff, a lawyer for the families, “We are ready to resume discovery and proceed towards trial in order to shed light on Remington’s profit-driven strategy to expand the AR-15 market and court high-risk users at the expense of Americans’ safety.”...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-supreme-courts-sandy-hook-ruling-is-a-welcome-victory-for-gun-violence-victims/2019/11/12/d920e612-058a-11ea-b17d-8b867891d39d_story.html?wpisrc=nl_personalizedforyou&wpmm=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's time that our government stopped protecting the businesses which prosper from gun violence and the fear which demands more and more firearms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×