Jump to content
kukukajoo kukukajoo (New Member) New Member

CAUTION: Dogs and Chocolate- BAD!

Pets   (3,920 Views 20 Comments)
14,012 Visitors; 40 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.
advertisement

Chocolate can be deadly to dogs! It does not take much to kill a pup or make them very very sick.

I have a four year old sheltie who tips out at 13 lbs. While home alone today she decided she would enjoy a little easter candy and chowed my daughters chocolate and other stuff.

She has litteraly thrown up about 25 times ALL OVER the house- bed, sofas, carpets, almost every step, etc.

Now chocolate is a poison to dogs and can actually kill them, so here I am doing a all nite vigil praying that her weak stomach is a blessing in this case!! Evidently she won't be out of the woods for 24 hours and may be sick for 3 days from this. I have to also watch very closely for dehydration as she is so small it will be hard ot maintain homeostasis and also for tremors or seizures and coma.

I am crying as I type this as she is the best dog I have ever had and I can't bear to lose her over some easter candy that was on a nightstand in a basket! This from a girl who never picks at anything!

So please, please be careful. We never would have guessed she would have have snuck the candy and therefore had it in a spot somewhat out of reach but evidently not enough!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG!!! I had the same exact problem with my 7 month old yorkie. She managed to open a bag of easter chocolate eggs and got poisoned. To say that she was throwing up- is to say nothing, poor dog was sick 24 hours,she was shaking, having seizures- it was soooo scary. I spent all night next to her, she was restless:sniff: . She is fine now, thank God, but no more candies will be left at the kitchen counter:nono: . We have to take a good care of our little fellas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohhhh, I know. We had a Lhasa Apso that unwrapped a Christmas present that contained a chocolate angel, he ate it and was so sick afterwards, nearly died. Very frightening!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much I am so relieved that your little pets survived! This is so scary and awful to go through! I feel like I let my child drink draino or something!

A little sick?!? I hear you there- It is like the exorcist in here! And I am having a home inspection first thing tomorrow and the poor people are going to be dodging landmines everywhere! Even if I started now, they would not be cleaned up by 8 am! Kids asleep so I cant run the equip.

She is resting now but still getting up to yakk a lot! I think I will have to have my rugs professionally cleaned this weekend without a doubt!

She has the jitters but not that bad, but her little ears are twitching like mad! Heart rate is okay and no dehydration yet. Just a waiting game (and cleaning game) I hope & pray from here on out. They say expect 24 hours on this.

All I can say I think I will be all set on handling barf from now on!

All I have to say is I will never allow chocolate in my house again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

per my vet:

the minimum lethal dose in dogs is about one-quarter ounce of baking chocolate or one-half-ounce semi-sweet chocolate or 2 ounces of milk chocolate per kilogram body weight.

this site gives the dosing in body weight by pounds and gives some different dosing info for semi-sweet chocolate (but i prefer the more cautious dosing from my vet).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is really sad that this happends. Dogs are quite good "thieves" when it comes to candy and sweet stuff, I remember i caught my dachs up on the kitchen table (trying to get my ice cream) a good yard above the ground once. Dunno how he managed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement

My brothers 2 family dogs got in to some Christmas chocolage last December, and both had to make a late night trip to the Vets. They both received something like Ipecac, and vomited a couple of times, and no problems after that, thank goodness. I didn't realize it took so little of it to be dangerous to them. (The sad thing is, the torn up, empty chocolate wrapper was laying all over the floor, the chocolate gone, and they had no idea if one or both of the dogs ate the chocolate, so they both had to take the Ipecac!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

weirdly enough, my moms dog has eaten chocolate many times and has never been sick from it. Same thing with my beagle, he got into the kids hallowen candy, but never even acted liek anything was wrong. I had heard it was baker chocolate only that made them sick and I attributed the lack of sickness to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that although it takes Baker's chocolate (and the amount is relevant to the size) that chocolate will certainly make a dog VERY sick!!! Thankfully we have large dogs so when they get into it it's not really dangerous. It just makes them throw up all over the place.

One of our Golden's ate 2 pounds of peanut M&Ms one time. The vet told us it would be fine... but she would probably have some adverse reactions to it. She literally didn't sleep for 3 days and was throwing up M&Ms for 24 hours. :uhoh21:

When our Doberman ate 2 pounds of regular M&Ms we had to go to the vet and they had to make her throw up. It was horrible. She was fine too though.

Chocolate acts like a Theophylline overdose to dogs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully the loved one will be o.k. Keep in touch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been a emergency vet tech for almost 5 yrs now. We always see a lot of chocolate toxicity during the holidays. Along with the dehydration and seizure issues, dogs can also experience polyuria, polydipsia, diarrhea, lethargy, tachycardia & cardiac arrhythmias. Even after the dog vomits it is always best to seek treatment for 24hrs at a hospital. There they can flush the system out with fluids and keep an eye on the cardiac arrhythmias. I hope that your pup is okay. I too know how scary it can be. My 16 lb. pug once at 2 lbs of M&M's ... he did not look well after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone. I am happy that others have learned from this- it could have had dire consequences.

Well the house looks like the exorcist has visited but the dog seems okay! She may still have adverse reactions for another 24 hrs but I am hoping the worst is over! She is resting now. Vet says keep an eye on her still.

She has been drinking water like mad finally and not as shaky!

Bakers chocolate has more of a concentration of the ingredient that affects dogs, but ALL chocolate is bad. They cant elminate the ingredient as fast a humans and that is why the increased, prolonged effects.

I was supposed to be in an all day BLS class today but I can hardly keep my eyes open! Will instead be cleaning up the mess all day long I am sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×