Jump to content
KonichiwaRN KonichiwaRN (Member) Nurse

As a first generation American..

Politics   (3,420 Views 253 Comments)
119 Visitors; 204 Posts
If you find this topic helpful leave a comment.
advertisement

I think it's weird that people yelling "anti-fascism and racism" are going around banning public speakers from speaking at their schools.

 

If you don't agree with the message, why silence the message? I see footage after footage of people just chanting that "hey hey, ho ho" chant after they barge into a speaking event. Is it just me or are Trump supporters being targeted by these so called anti-fascists?

 

Kind of reminds me of European history. The brownshirts going around banning public speakers from speaking out loud.

Edited by KonichiwaRN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, anyone is entitled to speak. They are not entitled to an audience, payment, or the absence of opposition.

It would move the conversation along if you could present some specific examples of the behavior to which you object.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All you have to do is just google up Ben Shapiro or Dinesh Dsouza's speaking events (privately held) and see the horde try to prevent people from listening to them.

We have the freedom of speech. We however, do not have the right to prevent others from speaking, either if we disagree or agree, at a privately held event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My city, Los Angeles has many places where someone can be free to say anything they want (except "Fire" in a crowded theater, when there is no fire, or other such dangerous lie)

People stand, often with a megaphone, and yell their political and/or religious thoughts and beliefs on boardwalks near the beach, in public parks, and every college, university, and high school I know of has a "free Speech" area. The high schools do ban profanity and racial slurs. 

On a street corner near me the same man has stood outside a bank repeatedly chanting, "If you can't go to heaver when you're living; how can you expect to go to heaven when you die? He holds a Bible and does not answer anyone. Sometimes he stops and eats food given to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, KonichiwaRN said:

I think it's weird that people yelling "anti-fascism and racism" are going around banning public speakers from speaking at their schools.

 

If you don't agree with the message, why silence the message? I see footage after footage of people just chanting that "hey hey, ho ho" chant after they barge into a speaking event. Is it just me or are Trump supporters being targeted by these so called anti-fascists?

 

Kind of reminds me of European history. The brownshirts going around banning public speakers from speaking out loud.

According to the title of your post, first-generation, your parents actually immigrated to this country, not you.

As a first-generation American, you would have been born in the US, thus grown-up with American ideals.

Why did your parents immigrat to the US, and when?

The 80s?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KonichiwaRN said:

All you have to do is just google up Ben Shapiro or Dinesh Dsouza's speaking events (privately held) and see the horde try to prevent people from listening to them.

We have the freedom of speech. We however, do not have the right to prevent others from speaking, either if we disagree or agree, at a privately held event.

Another example of what you refer to, would be the group of White Nationalists, who recently descended on a bookstore in Washington, to interrupt a reading by an author they disagreed with.

The White Nationalists did their best to stop views they didn't like from being heard.

Freedom of speech in this country has always had limits.

You would learn this in US history class, or even Civics class.

New photos of students at Kent State University, being shot at by the National Guard, in 1970, have recently been published.

The National Guard shot at, and killed four, student anti-war protesters.

The students were only armed with words.

So, you can see, the notion of free speech in the US, is an ideal.

There are always limitations.

Another example to limitations, sanctioned by the US government, abortion services not being allowed to be discussed.

Lots of limits to speech in this country.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
advertisement

I think Denmark, a Socialist country, has a fantastic approach to free speech rights, of those who seek to incite discord or violence through their speech.

A right-wing provocateur, recently burned a Koran, in an area populated by Muslim immigrants.

The Danish government allowed him to carry out his free speech gimmick, but refused to provide him with costly police protection.

Yes, you can exercise free speech for vile purposes, but don't expect the government to protect you from your actions.

Seems like conservatives would go along with that idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lil Nel said:

According to the title of your post, first-generation, your parents actually immigrated to this country, not you.

As a first-generation American, you would have been born in the US, thus grown-up with American ideals.

Why did your parents immigrat to the US, and when?

The 80s?

 

Your assumption, is wrong. By the use of my English skills, I would assume it would be apparent I'd know the difference between first generation and second generation families. 

Let me put it in layman terms. I wasn't born in this nation and I was in my adult years when I moved to this nation, first as a foreigner--and now living here as an American.

Edited by KonichiwaRN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lil Nel said:

I think Denmark, a Socialist country, has a fantastic approach to free speech rights, of those who seek to incite discord or violence through their speech.

A right-wing provocateur, recently burned a Koran, in an area populated by Muslim immigrants.

The Danish government allowed him to carry out his free speech gimmick, but refused to provide him with costly police protection.

Yes, you can exercise free speech for vile purposes, but don't expect the government to protect you from your actions.

Seems like conservatives would go along with that idea.

Conservatives aren't the ones burning down college towns like Berkeley California though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, KonichiwaRN said:

Conservatives aren't the ones burning down college towns like Berkeley California though.

I guess you missed most of my post.

You ignored everything you didn't want to read.

So, not interested.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. You pointed out a nation in Europe.

I am talking about the United States of America, where freedom of expression is protected by our Constitution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KonichiwaRN said:

Yes. You pointed out a nation in Europe.

I am talking about the United States of America, where freedom of expression is protected by our Constitution.

I also posted about Kent State University, in Ohio.

Freedom of speech?

Not for the four dead in Ohio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×