Teen charged for having sex with same sex teen
- 0May 24, '13 by wish_me_luckhttp://www.cnn.com/2013/05/24/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1
I know the other girl that is under age is not old enough to consent by law, but I do not think it warrants a felony charge. Actually, I think it is a waste of tax payer money to prosecute this. Thoughts?
- 4May 24, '13 by aknottedyarn GuideMany boys have been prosecuted for the same behaviors and been placed on the sex abusers registry for these behaviors. Not defending or accusing. One issue I do have is packing up the girl and helping her "run away from home". How would a male be treated in that situation?
While I may think it is a waste of everyone's time and money based on the thin report given I look at the historical influences and see how it has come to this. We have no idea what has transpired to get to this point.
I actually think getting the law involved should be the final step in any investigation. Was it? I don't see other interventions listed. That certainly does not mean there were none. Can't have a decent opinion without more facts. IMHO
- 0May 24, '13 by vegas2009Other people would say: The Law is the law! I say: it is a waste of taxpayer's money. Granted, one is a 14 yo... it is still a consensual same-sex relationship. Honestly, an 18 yo really is still a child nowadays I wonder why the 18 yo would even admit to such a relationship with a minor! Anyone with a minor--relationship connection (in the same sentence) is jail bait! I've always thought that everyone KNEW this. I guess not... I guess the 18 yo isn't smart enough to shut her trap. He he... some people learn the hard way.
- 5May 24, '13 by leslie :-DQuote from tntrni seriously am not understanding why gender is even being included?With the advent of gay marriage and gay rights, I think this should be handled exactly as if the two people involved were male and female. With rights come responsibilities.
i agree that this needs to be treated the same way any other relationship would entail.
i don't agree with it being a felony, but again, those are my thoughts whether it is male/female or any combination thereof.
the law is clear, and it is up to each individual to follow it or not.
- 1May 24, '13 by aknottedyarn GuideQuote from wish_me_luckThe way I read it I got the impression it was not for being caught in bed together but having influence over another. Seems like more of a rape definition than sex. Again, speculation as we do not have facts.I understand, but a felony charge and possible prison for 15 years? For having sex? That is harsh. I think actual rapists and murderers get less.
I have no problem with 18 yr. old males being charged when involved with 14 yr old girls. With age comes some responsibility. Underage people are not called "jailbait" for nothing.
There are some that might push for kidnapping charges for moving the girl out of her home. That could be a life sentence and possibly a capital case.
With the incomplete facts as given I might have thought "endangering the welfare of a child" might be more to the point.
- 2May 25, '13 by wish_me_luckI mean, I know it is wrong, but that takes money to prosecute. I guess in the grand scheme of things and with all the problems we have, I think it is a waste of money. I would feel the same way if it was a guy and a girl. I think, for me, what makes the difference in a case like this vs Steubenville is with Steubenville the girl was drunk and they performed lewd acts when she could not defend herself. Although, in that case I think the girl should be charged with underage drinking. But, anyway...
I do think we need to spend money on working to make people successful, not just jailing people all the time.