2012 Olympics - page 3
by herring_RN Guide
2,564 Views | 42 Comments
Are you watching the 2012 Olympics? Did you see the opening ceremony? What are your favorite events?... Read More
- 2Jul 31, '12 by Spidey's mom GuideQuote from imintroubleI'd rather be outside due to all the adults in my life were chain-smokers. . ... .We're almost the same age!
It sounds like I was a slug, but you have to remember the Olympics are only about 2-3 wks every four years.
My mom also threw us out during the day. Maybe she just relented on those days/years when the olympics were on.
Congratulations to the US Gymnastics Women's team!!
- 2Jul 31, '12 by herring_RN GuideQuote from tweetyit will be on at 8:00 pm eastern time (tape delayed)! -- https://usagym.org/pages/events/pages/tv_schedule.htmlhappy to the women win the gymnastics gold.....beating old rivals the russians, romanians, and chinese. way to go! wish i'd seen it.
[color=#333333]u.s. women's gymnastics wins team gold medal 2012 london olympics -- u.s. women's gymnastics wins team gold medal 2012 london olympics - youtube
[color=#333333]jenna bush hager captures gymnastics legend béla károlyi's excitement as the us women's gymnastics team wins gold at the 2012 olympic games in london. i think this is very moving -- thenovoproject.com: us women's gymnastics team wins gold at the 2012 olympics - youtube
Last edit by herring_RN on Aug 1, '12 : Reason: Video was removed from You Tube
- 1Aug 1, '12 by aknottedyarn GuideI could not see the video but I watched last night and it was worth every moment of sleep that I lost. Now tonight I hope to watch the men do the same thing. I do like watching the men better.
I watched a bit of the horse competition. I enjoy the horses.
- 1Aug 1, '12 by herring_RN Guideolympics 2012 day 4: jordyn wieber's golden redemption, michael phelps breaks medal record
michael phelps became the[color=#444e5c] [color=#0c4790]most decorated olympian of all time by winning his 19th medal — a gold — as the united states romped to a dominating win in the 4x200-meter freestyle relay.
phelps now has 15 golds, two silvers and two bronzes over three olympics, moving ahead of soviet gymnast larisa latynina, who got her haul in 1956, 1960 and 1964. earlier, he won his 18th with a[color=#444e5c][color=#0c4790] silver medal in the 200m butterfly. …
[color=#444e5c]… the team of gabrielle douglas, mckayla maroney, alexandra raisman, kyla ross and [color=#0c4790]jordyn wieber lived up to all the hype, [color=#0c4790]winning the first u.s. olympic title in women's gymnastics since 1996. (see: [color=#0c4790]jordyn wieber photo gallery).
steve politi from the star-ledger writes that with this complete victory, this team is the [color=#0c4790]best gymnastics team ever. he also points out that wieber, who missed out on the all-around final because of what her coach called a "[color=#0c4790]dumb rule," is the one who [color=#0c4790]set the tone for the team's convincing victory in the team competition.
[color=#444e5c][color=#0c4790]american allison schmitt won the 200 freestyle with a dominating performance that left everyone else, including teammate [color=#0c4790]missy franklin, battling for the other medals. …
[color=#444e5c]olympics 2012 day 4: jordyn wieber's golden redemption, michael phelps breaks medal record (links) | nola.com
- 2Aug 1, '12 by mediajunkie650Quote from KornhonkWhile Mitt Romney spent much of last week criticizing President Obama for telling business owners that they owed some of their success to others — such as teachers and those who have built government-paid roads, the Republican presidential candidate made a similar argument during the opening ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics, telling the athletes "you didn't get here solely on your own power."Did they win it, or did someone else make that happen?
- 5Aug 1, '12 by aknottedyarn GuideQuote from KornhonkActually many helped make it happen. Phelps did not fill the pool. The gymnasts did not set the equipment. Need more examples? Try parents that worked their tails off to get them to practices. Worked to afford lessons, uniforms, tutors and every thing needed to support the talent these wonderful Olympians had.Did they win it, or did someone else make that happen?
Dang, it gets tiring explaining the realities of the world. I raised talented kids, none made the olympics, but we worked hard to support them. My DGS in on the Olympic Development Team in Soccer for our state. I know what it takes. My DGS knows he does not do it by himself. it takes time, money, willingness to put everything else in the 2nd tier.
Our President was correct.
- 0Aug 1, '12 by KornhonkQuote from aknottedyarnI didn't ask if someone else helped make it happen. I asked if someone else made that happen. Big difference. Per the President's statement, no one can take credit for doing anything; it was someone else that made that happen.Actually many helped make it happen.
- 4Aug 2, '12 by aknottedyarn GuideYou you can tell my DS that his involvement did not make the success of his son happen. It does not diminish the accomplishment of the DGS. It acknowledges that without others nothing can happen. He made it a possiblity to happen. My DGS would be the first to give credit where it is due. He works hard to be a member of the National Honeor Society while captain of 3 sports. Did he do this? Yes. Did someone else make it happen. You betcha.
Not one of those Olympic atheletes could afford to do what is necessary to become world class without money. None of them can earn that kind of money while working to become great. Short answer. Economics 101 - Somebody else made it happen.
- 4Aug 2, '12 by mediajunkie650Quote from KornhonkThis statement shows a total misunderstanding of Pres. Obama’s remarks because you’re taking two sentences out of context and applying an inaccurate interpretation of his speech. Anyone who takes the time to listen to his words in context will understand exactly what he meant. My post here debunks this falsehood and PolitiFact rates this deception as false.I didn't ask if someone else helped make it happen. I asked if someone else made that happen. Big difference. Per the President's statement, no one can take credit for doing anything; it was someone else that made that happen.
In speeches and videos, the Romney campaign has repeatedly distorted Obama's words. By plucking two sentences out of context, Romney twists the president's remarks and ignores their real meaning.
The preceding sentences make clear that Obama was talking about the importance of government-provided infrastructure and education to the success of private businesses.
Romney also conveniently ignores Obama's clear summary of his message, that "the point is ... that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."
By leaving out the "individual initiative" reference, Romney and his supporters have misled viewers and given a false impression. For that, we rate the claim False.