MTV Nurse Nation
- 0Aug 15, '13 by rumwynnieRNI was on tumblr, and someone I follow posted a link about how MTV is going to do a reality show about nurses called Nurse Nation. The premise for this docu-series (per the description on MTV's website) is to follow twenty-something travel nurses as they go about their travel assignments in a brand new hospital for 13 weeks.
I have mixed feelings about this. I'm half wondering which hospitals and patients agreed to this kind of exposure (my first thought was "doh, HIPAA? How much paperwork did this take? And how many lawyers did you cram into a room?"). Despite my overwhelming lack of faith in MTV to produce anything worth watching (it went away completely when Daria ended. The last time I watched MTV on a regular basis, Daria and TRL were still on, and Carson Daily was hosting the latter), I'm semi-curious but also a little revolted. Curious because there's the off-chance MTV might do a pretty decent job, but extremely cautious because it's MTV, and I can just see how they'll blow up a situation and take it out proportion.
Of course, MTV has had some good documentaries, specifically their True Life series, but even that has some exceptions.
Here's the link:
- 0Aug 15, '13 by CherryAmes_RNQuote from rumwynnieRNNumber one, ^THIS! I love Daria so much!Despite my overwhelming lack of faith in MTV to produce anything worth watching (it went away completely when Daria ended.
Number two, ew. Not looking forward to this. If its as trashy & drama seeking as everything else they air, we are just going to be left with an even more skewed view from the public on what nursing really is.
- 0Aug 15, '13 by rumwynnieRNI'm hoping it's not bad, but I'm expecting it will be. As blondy2061h pointed out, in True Life, yeah, they tend to pick worst examples so I wonder who they would cast first off, and if there was some rigging to put the on the worst possible floor, or at least purposely place them in semi-toxic environments, and have the travel nurse get the crappy assignments.
I guess we'll see.
- 0Aug 16, '13 by WeepingAngelI like True Life, I know some of the episodes are trashy ("I'm addicted to social media") but I found the ones about traumatic brain injuries, diabetics, waiting for transplants, etc., to be very eye-opening and I highly recommend them.
As for Nurse Nation... ugh. I'd suggest Boston Medical instead. MTV is probably going to show hot young single party girl nurses who flirt with residents then go out to da club. And then save lives!!
- 1Aug 16, '13 by Altra Guide
- 0Aug 16, '13 by RLtinkerHipaa wise, I guess they will do what every other medical docu-drama does. Blur the faces or get the patient to sign a release form. But from what I have heard, travel nurses usually get the worse patient assignments dropped on them anyways. So maybe it will be interesting. Just hope its not "Real World" Nursing edition. Because that wouldn't be good for anyone.