Washington DC is beautiful! Everyone must visit DC at least once.
check out all the Smithsonian Museums - they are all free
- museums are big; they will will take a good part of the day to review
make sure you get to see the Lincoln Memorial; the whole area is beautiful (many other memorials nearby)
many restaurants - franchise: ESPN Zone and Hard Rock Cafe near National Mall (go early or really late very busy place)
take one of the tour trolleys
- there's 3 different kinds; 2 are fairly new and offer new trolleys
- each takes a different route
- purchase the 1 price 2 day ticket
- save your tickets; drivers don't check tickets - just hop on / get off any stop
bring extra SD card and battery for camera/video - you'll need it!
visit zoo if possible - one of the largest and best zoo that I ever visited (take the Metro); did I say it's FREE?
book a hotel that is near the National Mall - will save you a lot of walking
previously stayed at The Liason Capitol Hill
: - beautiful modern deco but too far to walk plus local charity place nearby; valet $30 per day; won't stay there again because of location but liked it
L'enfant Plaza Hotel
- close to National Mall; Metro (subway) access under hotel; open and accessible location; rooms are outdated but price is reasonable; package included free valet; didn't like the room that much but location was great; may stay again if nothing else available
oh I almost forgot - if you are driving in make sure you can park/valet your car in hotel; I drove to DC with family - some places don't have room for SUVs.