Quote from Agrippa
The president adamantly opposed such taxes during the campaign, arguing they would undermine job-based coverage.
I think that it is YOU that is being disingenuous to suggest that because President Obama was "adamantly opposed to tax increases" on the campaign trail that that means that he is now.
1. The Senators would not be proposing tax increases if they didn't think it was a bill that would get signed. Their Party controls both the Senate and the WH. They DO coordinate.
2. President Obama was anything but consistent on the campaign trail and he's been an outright liar since taking office. He's already drastically raised taxes on poor smokers. He actively advocates increasing your electricity rates by $4000/yr with cap and trade. Not some "rich" guy: YOU. He's backtracked on GITMO and Military Tribunals. When has this guy ever told the truth? He proposed decreasing our debt as he signed up for 1.8 Trillion in debt - THIS YEAR. At the same event! This guy talks out of both sides of his mouth, and always has. Just because you only listen to half of what he says doesn't mean that only that half will hold true.
3. Government Restricted Healthcare advocates have always suggested that the new TAXES for this boondoggle would be cheaper than insurance now. First, that's absolutely laughable. That's a transfer to government and government is ALWAYS the worst choice for free choice, quality, and timeliness, but nevertheless: that IS a tax increase.
4. Even if they borrow for this and don't "tax", it's still a tax. If you increase the monetary base by 25% the result - not immediately, but as it phases through the economy - will be drastic on inflation. So, in order to do that, the government just borrows and that devalues the dollar by 25%. THAT is a tax because - due to the policy decisions of the government, you have less spending capital and you have less capital because the government instituted policies - debt - that diverted that capital to it instead of you.
5. Medicare is going bankrupt this year. There IS NO TRUST FUND. The trust fund is an IOU based on future tax receipts - YOUR FUTURE SALARIES. To borrow that money, the government must transfer that debt from you to somebody else and that means more debt - ON TOP OF WHAT WE ARE BORROWING NOW. We have already TAXED that system to the max, and well past it.
6. We aren't borrowing enough now. We can't. There aren't enough takers. To pull a fast one, the government is issuing new dollars from the Fed to buy treasury notes. This is called "monetizing the debt" - creating money to pay for debt. If YOU did that, it would be called "check kiting" and you would go to jail. When a government does that, it signals a serious debasing of the money supply. Think JIMMY CARTER MALAISE.
7. This Administration is moving at light speed because they know that the clock is ticking. There is going to be a blowback to their socialism and they want to get as much done before the 60 or so so-called 'blue dog' dems start to worry about their seats in the House. They should be worried. FOR THIS REASON, Hillarycare went down in flames in 1993 - and so did DEMS in Congress the following year. It's the same reason this will stall now.
8. Americans are a generous people. They want everybody to have their basic needs. However. WHEN YOU PUT DETAILS ON THE TABLE that will socialize the average Americans' health care, they will balk. This has been consistently true. Your basic problem is that people inherently distrust government, as they should. "Free clinic" quality care might be OK for those that cannot afford it, but it's a no-sale for the majority that can.