RNs protest Gov. Snyder’s “Right to Work” corporate takeover - Page 8Register Today!
- Quote from BrandonLPNComing from my conservative viewpoint: wonder why the government doesn't expect you to "spread your wealth" with those making less than you!To be honest, I have no idea. They must have bypassed regional comparisons
entirely, because our pay rates are quite higher. Especially for our CNAs. Our pay range for them starts at 14.70 an hour. Most CNAs regionally start at 9.00 an hr.
- Dec 13, '12 by BrandonLPNQuote from tntrnShouldn't a conservative be happy that an undereducated single mom working as a CNA can make a living wage.... as opposed to living off welfare? Trust me, all those aides making "market value" wages don't make enough to live off without assistance. Most of the people on welfare ARE working. They're the working poor.Coming from my conservative viewpoint: wonder why the government doesn't expect you to "spread your wealth" with those making less than you!
- Dec 13, '12 by VICEDRNQuote from tntrnThis logical fallacy is exactly the problem with the conservative movement. Its the other way around: He is not paid too well! I am paid too little!!!!!!!!So, just curious, if you live in an area where the cost of living is comparable to the south, why do you not get paid accordingly? What makes you worth more in dollars in an area where nothing else is worth more than what the cost of living there dictates?
Why shouldn't we make more money than we do? The truth is big businesses like the idea of the "market" setting the wages until there is a shortage of people willing to work in a set of working conditions. They then go running to the government begging them for cheap foreign imports from the phillipines, etc. The correct answer was to let wages go up but that's not going to happen if businesses and their conservative allies have their way.
I am an RN with a BSN and 2.5 years of ER experience working in the metro ATL area. I make 23.99 as my base. The LPNs usually make between 16 and 18 working in clinics and LTCs. I haven't been on vacation with my kids in 8 years and I can barely afford my modest car note, much less savings for retirement, college or anything else. This is no kind of way to live!
Nothing is for nothing. If the union pays the best, the hospital probably has less turnover and therefore less hiring and orienting costs. The states with higher minimum wages and higher wages generally net produce tax revenue while red states like mine are net consumers of tax revenue. Its time to ask corporations to take responsibility for their employees.
- Dec 13, '12 by VICEDRNQuote from tntrnTalk about missing the forest for the trees!! I think the whole pay scale is wrong in my area and we don't make enough no matter where we are on the food chain! On the west coast, I can command better working conditions and at least 10/ hr more! And col doesn't eat it all up!An you think 2.5 years experience should put you at the top of the pay scale?
- Dec 13, '12 by herring_RNLabor unions are part of living in a free society. Totalitarian governments don't tolerate activities by individuals or groups such as labor unions that are not directed by the state's goals.
Polish Solidarity, the anti-communist trade union and their social reform movement ended communism in east central Europe.
In early 1963, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. organized a “Walk to Freedom” in Detroit, an event intended as a warm up for the “March on Washington.” The UAW gave King an office, staff, and financial support. UAW President Walter Reuther walked alongside Doctor King at the event. Photos below:
- Dec 13, '12 by BrandonLPNQuote from tntrnMaybe California can get some federal money.... oh, wait, I forgot, all the federal money is going to subsidize the Red States.....You have the choice of moving to the West Coast. Higher pay and higher taxes and if you are talking California, a state bound for bankruptcy.
- Dec 13, '12 by Spidey's momQuote from tntrnI'm a California girl . . . and yes, it is harder and harder here due to taxes and yes, California is on the road to bankruptcy and Gov. Moonbeam isn't helping.You have the choice of moving to the West Coast. Higher pay and higher taxes and if you are talking California, a state bound for bankruptcy.
- Quote from Spidey's momI'm a California girl . . . and yes, it is harder and harder here due to taxes and yes, California is on the road to bankruptcy and Gov. Moonbeam isn't helping.
I lived in California the last time he was Governor. For the life of me, I couldn't believe he actually got elected again. All I can figure is that those who voted him in this time, aren't old enough to remember the last time.