RNs protest Gov. Snyder’s “Right to Work” corporate takeover - Page 4Register Today!
- “In our glorious fight for civil rights, we must guard against being fooled by false slogans, such as ‘right to work.’ It is a law to rob us of our civil rights and job rights.
Its purpose is to destroy labor unions and the freedom of collective bargaining by which unions have improved wages and working conditions of everyone…Wherever these laws have been passed, wages are lower, job opportunities are fewer and there are no civil rights. We do not intend to let them do this to us. We demand this fraud be stopped. Our weapon is our vote.” —Martin Luther King, speaking about right-to-work laws in 1961
- Dec 12, '12 by Spidey's momRight to Work States | National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation
Detroit Free Press Writer’s Anti-Right to Work Diatribe Leaves Out Key Facts
Just last month, the voters of Michigan rejected by a wide margin a Big Labor-backed ballot measure designed in part to prohibit state legislators from ever enacting a Right to Work law. Current polling indicates a majority of Michigan citizens support the Right to Work principle, which states that no one should ever be fired or denied a job simply for refusing to pay dues or fees to an unwanted union.
- Dec 12, '12 by ElvishQuote from Conqueror+Exactly. Same here. Can't even mention it if you want to keep your job.I live in a right to work state and you will be exercising your right to work somewhere else if you even MENTION a union.
It is so anti-union here that when a local financial entity changed its name from one name to another containing 'credit union', there was an enormous uproar all because it had the name 'union' in it. Even though it was a credit union before, it was just called something different, and even though this had nothing to do with a labor union.
There are bigger forces at play than just 'employees haven't banded together yet'. Much bigger.
All y'all anti-union folks are welcome to come work here and see how you like it.
- Dec 12, '12 by VICEDRNQuote from JolieWikipedia? Really? And did you think I didn't know what "right to work" meant? Its like the word "pro life". Its just a fancy term for discouraging unionization.Right to work laws DO NOT BAN unions. They eliminate the requirement that one MUST join a union or pay dues to a union in order to be employed. Voluntary union membership is NOT prohibited.
A right-to-work law is a statute in the United States of America that prohibits union security agreements, or agreements between labor unions and employers that govern the extent to which an established union can require employees' membership, payment of union dues, or fees as a condition of employment, either before or after hiring. "Right-to-work" laws do not, as the short phrase might suggest, aim to provide a general guarantee of employment to people seeking work, but rather are a government regulation of the contractual agreements between employers and labor unions that prevents them from excluding non-union workers.
Right-to-work law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Feel free to come down here and mention the word union at work and see how quickly you get fired. You can be fired for trying to organize, for talking about organizing and yes, there are a hundred other laws that make unionization here illegal. Most nurses who work here want out in a big way. Give them a year or two and they are in grad school or off to california.
The irony is listening to conservatives in union states who have traveled here as nurses and refuse to come back. And I have to ask them: you think the unions out there have nothing to do with that? Get real.
- Quote from tntrnViolence except in self defense or to save another person is never justified. No matter the goading it is wrong period.I am waiting for anybody on the left, and the MSM to decry the violence and hatred that was on display yesterday in Michigan. The lack of it is in very sharp contrast to the President's message after the incident in Tuscon.
I saw on TV Mr. Crowder, a union member, hit in the face by another union member while a third union member tried to pull the man bac to prevent the fight.
Don't hurt people!