Is it Oil?Register Today!
- by anothergrumpyoldRN Jul 25http://grist.org/news/good-news-arka...-isnt-oil-oil/
So far, the thousands of barrels of tar-sands oil that spilled into a middle-class neighborhood in central Arkansas on Friday have driven 22 families from their homes and killed and injured a grip of local wildlife. So far, the oil hasnít contaminated the local lake or drinking water supply, according to ExxonMobil. Itís a ďmajor spill,Ē according to the EPA, and the cause is so far still under investigation.
But since itís not oil-oil, ExxonMobil hasnít paid into the government clean-up fund that would help bankroll the epic scrub-down necessary to rid poor unsuspecting Mayflower, Ark., of all that bitumen.
Do they know how to clean it up?
What happens when the Keystone pipeline leaks?
Who will pay for that and clean that up?
Isn't this our land?
- Jul 25 by aknottedyarnIf you go back in history to the Exxon Valdez you will find that court ordered payments have not been made.
We get nothing out of the tar sands movement except the chance of further spills. The oil companies who already get corporate welfare will get more money. They will continue to fight in court all efforts to make them pay the legitimate fines, repair and other costs. They will continue to hide money offshore and not pay a fair share of taxes and not pay for their rape, pillage and plunder of what little pristine land we have. They will ruin water supplies and unless we get rid of the lobbyists who keep them safe from real prosecution they will continue to get away with murder.
- Jul 25 by StNeotserThank you for the link. I wouldn't have known about this because I don't think it was ever on NBC, CNN or other outlets of the "liberal" main stream media. Perhaps if more citizens knew about it outside of the local area, there may have been more pressure put on Exxon.
- Jul 29 by anothergrumpyoldRNHow will this play out with the Keystone XL pipeline?
- Jul 30 by Conservative NurseEverything is dumped on the taxpayer. We have to get the Liberals out of office!!!
- Jul 30 by aknottedyarnQuote from Conservative NurseProtecting the big business welfare queens is done by both republicans and democrats. In general, in spite of the word conserve in their name most conservatives want less governmental oversight on businesses that threaten our environment. It is those dang tree hugging, organic food promoting, water guzzling liberals who want oil companies to have to pay for their environmental screw-ups.Everything is dumped on the taxpayer. We have to get the Liberals out of office!!!
Usually these "accidents" have been found to be caused by negligence, lack of preventive maintenance, improper use of materials and other poor decision making by the oil companies. In the case of the Mayflower pipe rupture the pipes had been retro'ed to run the tar sands in the opposite direction as the same pipes had run oil. I have seen no reports that indicate that was safe. Pipeline is a bit different than a garden hose. Many imperfections have been found in existing pipelines that will not stand the corrosive effects of the tar sands.
Unfortunately governmental regulations are usually a response to money hungry businesses cutting corners. Even more unfortunate is the fact that even after it is found that these same companies were at fault no government has ever forced them to pay a fair share for their greed.
Halliburton just got a slap on the wrist for destroying documentation about the Gulf oil spill that killed workers. Exxon has never paid it's debt to Alaska and her fishermen and women. Until the government steps in and demands payment and refuses to allow more corporate welfare and tax advantages to these companies they have no incentive to be lawful.
Liberals seem to be the ones who want fair treatment and companies to pay their debts.
- Jul 30 by anothergrumpyoldRNEverything is dumped on the tax payer because some in our Congress believe that flesh and blood people should pay the bills and corporate people should reap the benefits. They are called the Tea Party. They currently have a much bigger voice in our government than they should.