When are kids gonna learn?

  1. I'm a teen, and I'm all for risky stuff, but not this kind of stuff. This is just stupid..

    http://www.wabi.tv/story.asp?3115

    Also, It's on the news right now, they showed pics of one of the cars, and seriously, half of it is gone...they had to use the jaws of life to get one of the guys out, and they are still recovering in the hospital..

    Do any of you remember doing stuff like that? Playing chicken in the roads? Flying around windy roads? That crazy stuff that teenagers do?

    I personally want to stay away from it. I'm all for having fun, but I have personally seen what the outcome of that "crazy teenage" stuff..
    Last edit by kristi915 on Jan 14, '03
    •  
  2. 17 Comments

  3. by   Rustyhammer
    If I ever caught my kid doing that I'd roll him out like cheap carpet!

    -Russell
  4. by   deespoohbear
    I grew up in a rural, hilly area of Indiana. One year after a significant ice storm some of us kids took our plastic tobaggons and went "sledding" down the road. The road was at the top of a hill and curved as it goes down. It was great fun at the time, but looking back it was not the wisest thing I have ever done in my life....(as my guardian angel nods his head in agreement)...
  5. by   PennyLane
    I've never done anything of the sort. Of course in my teenage years I'd do awful things like drink and drive, which is just as bad. Luckily I've mended my ways, and thankfully I never hurt anyone. I don't think I could live with myself if I did something stupid with my car and hurt or killed someone.
  6. by   BadBird
    Geeze, I read this just as my son left for his night class, he has only been driving a few months and so far is doing well. I constantly worry though, I wonder how long he will drive before I stop worrying, probably never.
  7. by   Lausana
    Originally posted by kristi915

    Do any of you remember doing stuff like that? Playing chicken in the roads? Flying around windy roads? That crazy stuff that teenagers do?
    I dated a genius like that in HS, as far as I know he's still alive, although I don't know how STUPID!
  8. by   cpgrn
    The girl across the street killed two people doing something similar last year. Had her license for 4 weeks. Parents don't seem to understand so they bought her another car and she had another accident a week later. Trial is this month. Go figure.
  9. by   kristi915
    there is a girl at my school like that ^(see above)

    She has had 2 cars and is now driving her 3rd. The first one she flipped during the winter and hit a tree, the 2nd one she fell alseep while driving and flipped the car. Her dumb parents go and buy her ANOTHER car and a newer one too. Won't be suprised if she crashes before graduation. Unless she's learned her lesson..
  10. by   SmilingBluEyes
    Originally posted by cpgrn
    The girl across the street killed two people doing something similar last year. Had her license for 4 weeks. Parents don't seem to understand so they bought her another car and she had another accident a week later. Trial is this month. Go figure.
    what she commits vehicular manslaughter and gets another car? SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET. what idiots. if she does anything, even a traffic ticket, they oughta haul their asses into jail for neglect, of her and society and our rights not to be mowed down by idiots like their daughter.
    Last edit by SmilingBluEyes on Jan 14, '03
  11. by   SmilingBluEyes
    Originally posted by kristi915
    I'm a teen, and I'm all for risky stuff, but not this kind of stuff. This is just stupid..

    http://www.wabi.tv/story.asp?3115

    Also, It's on the news right now, they showed pics of one of the cars, and seriously, half of it is gone...they had to use the jaws of life to get one of the guys out, and they are still recovering in the hospital..

    Do any of you remember doing stuff like that? Playing chicken in the roads? Flying around windy roads? That crazy stuff that teenagers do?

    I personally want to stay away from it. I'm all for having fun, but I have personally seen what the outcome of that "crazy teenage" stuff..
    That Crazy teenage stuff is why my son likely will NOT be driving til more like 17-18. I am not interested in losing him or him killing others all because kids' synapses don't make complete connections yet in their under-developed brains. I think, esp in this day and age, 16 is WAY too young for such a responsibility as having their own car and maybe even being allowed to drive at all w/o a parent/guardian. Stats back up my beliefs here, 100%.
  12. by   ShandyLynnRN
    That reminds me of the movie "footloose". I never had any desire to do that crap when I was a teenager! I couldn't even bring myself to do donuts on an icy parking lot away from any other cars!!! At the time, I just felt like a chicken, but now I know it was my sensible side saying, "what in the world would you WANT to do that for?"
  13. by   researchrabbit
    Originally posted by BadBird
    Geeze, I read this just as my son left for his night class, he has only been driving a few months and so far is doing well. I constantly worry though, I wonder how long he will drive before I stop worrying, probably never.
    You will be surprised. I thought I'd never get used to my daughter driving; now that's she's been driving for 3 years, it's no longer worrisome except when it's icy or snowy. She's really responsible though; takes college classes concurrently with high school, bought her own car, has worked at the same place (a daycare) for two years. Never have to nag her about any of her responsibilities. Removed her curfew this year and she is doing very well!
    Last edit by researchrabbit on Jan 15, '03
  14. by   SHELLYBELLYRN
    OMG, KRISTI...........THIS IS THE SCHOOL DISTRICT I GREW UP IN................DID THEY EVER RELEASE THE NAMES?

close