WARNING--toxic floor cleaner

  1. I am not sure if I am allowed to post the brand name, moderators?
    Anyhow, heres the scoop...
    Talked to my mom and a friend of hers had two cats and a dog recently die. Vet said it looked like antifreeze poisoning. It boils down to the floor cleaner the friend used. It had antifreeze in it although it was not on the label. After necropsy, they proved it was the floor cleaner this poor lady was using. Apparently, it got on pets paws and they licked it off, and well, you can get the rest. This is a really popular cleaning product, so if moderators could let me know if I can post the brand name, that would be great so no other pets get sick or die. (There is a legal suit pending with this company) Maybe if I can't post it, you could PM me if you are interested.
    •  
  2. 9 Comments

  3. by   mattsmom81
    OMG! Just another warning about the chemicals we use everyday and their toxicities.

    Makes ya want to go totally organic.
  4. by   palesarah
    no need to post the brand name; if you're talking about the brand I think you are then this is another urban legend
  5. by   mom2three
    http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp

    I was freaked out by this, too... there was a mass e-mail going around, turned out it was a hoax.... check out the link.
  6. by   ang75
    No, actually, it is not. I had taken my dogs in after hearing this and they did have trace amounts of the toxic substance. They were getting it from the cleaner. We even tested the cleaner and sure enough it was there.
  7. by   mom2three
    Well, that's scary!

    Here's what the ASPCA had to say....
    http://dogs.about.com/b/a/085114.htm
  8. by   SmilingBluEyes
    hmmm

    well urban legend or not, I am very sparing with cleaners and anything that "shoots" out stuff like that to me, cannot possibly be healthy. I usually can mop my floors with just very hot water and some elbow grease. The less chemicals used, the better. Who cares if they shine enough to see myself in em? Just not worth the poisonous consequences and waste of money in my book.
    Last edit by SmilingBluEyes on Jun 9, '04
  9. by   leslie :-D
    Quote from SmilingBluEyes
    hmmm

    well urban legend or not, I am very sparing with cleaners and anything that "shoots" out stuff like that to me, cannot possibly be healthy. I usually can mop my floors with just very hot water and some elbow grease. The less chemicals used, the better. Who cares if they shine enough to see myself in em? Just not worth the poisonous consequences and waste of money in my book.
    ditto ditto ditto.
  10. by   gwenith
    IT is Okay to post a brand name for information just don't try and sell it - which I gather you are NOT doing:chuckle

    The bottom line is that the fewer chemicals you use the better off you are.

    Here is a link about some alternative cleaners

    http://www.echonews.com/732/alan_hayes.html
    Last edit by gwenith on Jun 9, '04
  11. by   hock1
    I've heard this too. However my animals/kids have never been sick from cleaning products. Generally what I do for the kids, pets, and me is make sure the house is well ventilated. Also the kids and pets have to play outside or in another room. This way nobody walks on the floor while it's wet and nobody gets the chemicals on themselves.

close