1. egg nog or hot chocolate?
depends on my mood, i love both!
2. does santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
when i was a kid, the presents were wrapped (in "special" old fashioned paper, of course) and by the fireplace.
3. colored or white lights on tree and/or house?
small white lights on the tree, large colored lights outside.
4. do you hang mistletoe?
5. when do you put up your decorations?
as soon after thanksgiving as time permits.
6. what is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
it was my grandmother's biscuits. they were a yeasty type of roll made with lard and brushed with egg to make them shiny. after she died we found some in her freezer and actually divided them up amongst the family. no one ever managed to get the recipe out of her.
7. favorite holiday memory as a child:
when i was 7 years old and we moved into a brand new house on christmas eve right before bedtime. i was beside myself - there was no way santa would find me at the last minute!!! went to bed in a scary new room (empty of course) feeling so sad...until the next morning. there by our new fireplace was the present that i wanted: a cabbage patch kid. it was 1983 and they were impossible to find. i knew that santa had to exist for him to not only find me in my new house at the last second, but to also bring me one of those special dolls.
8. when and how did you learn the truth about santa?
the very next year after the above story, i overheard my mom talking to someone and she spilled the beans. she was laughing about how "at least this year he (my dad) won't have to sleep outside a toy store in the freezing cold" to get me a cabbage patch kid. apparently he did this to get dolls for both me and my best friend. i wasn't upset though - i realized that my dad was so much better than santa could ever be.
9. do you open a gift on christmas eve?
we always do christmas eve with my mom's side of the family, so yes.
10. how do you decorate your christmas tree?
white lights with silver bells and all red ball ornaments. the garland looks like sugared candy and there are a bunch of candy-like ornaments as well. and of course, lots of candy canes!
11. snow! love it or dread it?
absolutely love it - how it looks, smells, tastes, feels - everything! the only think i don't enjoy is driving in it.
12. can you ice skate?
13. do you remember your favorite gift?
see question #7.
14. what's the most important thing about the holidays for you?
now, it's about getting the family together and realizing how lucky we are.
15. what is your favorite holiday dessert?
pumpkin pie with whipped cream.
16. what is your favorite holiday tradition?
don't really have a true tradition, isn't that sad? i mean, yeah we celebrated with certain family members on certain days, but nothing special like a certain day to decorate the tree or a unique activity. since i've had my own place with my own tree, though, i've tried to make a tradition where anyone who visits has to take a candy cane from the tree when they leave.
17. what tops your tree?
18. which do you prefer: giving or receiving?
19. what is your favorite christmas song?
toss up between judy garland's "have yourself a merry little christmas" and "dominic the italian christmas donkey"
20. how will you preserve christmas memories/traditions for your children and/or grandchildren?
i'm going to start some traditions with my own kids, for one thing. definitely going to take lots of pictures and get some things like ornaments to pass down the family line...