I got this off a website that hosts the "do not call" lists for all states that have said list. I am amazed at who is excluded from this law. Basically, this is worthless..
Will this mean no more phone solicitations?
No. Alabama's Do-Not-Call law prohibits some solicitors from calling you at home once they have your name. However, many groups and organizations can still call you without violating state law because they are exempt from this law. The law spells out 25 categories of people and/or organizations that can still legally call your home even if you're on the Do-Not-Call Register. The types of telemarketing calls that are exempt from the Do-Not-Call law include but are not limited to the following*:
Solicitations for an isolated transaction not done in the course of a pattern of repeated transactions
Calls for religious, charitable, political, educational, or other noncommercial purposes or someone soliciting for a nonprofit corporation, including rural electric cooperatives
Calls from anyone who doesn't intend to complete a sale during the call or who doesn't make the major sales presentation during the call. Also, anyone who doesn't complete the sales presentation during the call but who completes the sales presentation at a follow-up meeting
Solicitations from any licensed securities, commodities, or investment broker, dealer, or investment adviser
Solicitations from any licensed associated person of a securities, commodities, or investment broker, dealer, or investment adviser, when soliciting within the scope of his or her license
Solicitations for the sale of a newspaper, periodical, or magazine
Solicitations for a book, video, or record club or contractual plan or arrangement
Solicitations from a commercial bank, trust company, savings and loan association, mutual savings bank, credit union, industrial loan company, consumer finance lender, commercial finance lender, or insurer
Solicitations from any licensed insurance broker, agent, customer representative, or solicitor
Solicitations for the sale of cable television services
Solicitations for some types of business-to-business sales
Solicitations for sales or advertising in a catalog, periodical, or magazine of the seller's merchandise or ad purchasers, merchandise to prospective purchasers
Solicitations for maintenance or repair contracts for goods that were bought from the solicitor
Solicitations from a telephone company or utility company regulated by the Alabama Public Service Commission
Solicitations for funeral services
Solicitations from a licensed commercial telephone seller
An issuer or a subsidiary of an issuer that has a class of securities subject to Section 12 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 (15 U.S.C. Section 781)
Solicitations for telephone answering services
Solicitations for transactions regulated by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission
Solicitations for the sale of food or produce if for less than $500
Solicitations to consumers who have an existing business relationship with the caller
Solicitations from a retail business in operation for at least a year whose products or services are offered for sale at the place of business
Solicitations for vacation time-sharing plans
Solicitations from a telemarketing company with 75% of its contracts to exempt entities
Solicitations for the sale of an annual publication of notable individuals
*See 8-19A-4, Code of Alabama, 1975, for complete definitions of exempt entities. The list provided here for your information does not serve as a legal definition of commercial telephone sellers that are not subject to Alabama's Do-Not-Call law.
May 6, '03
Sometimes I hang up and sometimes I have fun!!!!! Here hot off the old brainpan is the "Top Ten ways to get the Telephone Salespersons to TAKE you off thier Lists!
10. Pretend you are the answering machine "Leave your number at the tone - BEEP!"
9. Pretend you are distracted by the children - tell them to hang on and then turn the TV up real loud while making intermittant comments like "If you kids don't stop that I will kill you" leave the phone off of the hook for about 10-15 minutes then come back on and in a high pitched voice say "Momee can't come back to the phone" and hang up.
8. Start to sell them something - homemade strawberry jams say but here is the tickler - sell them at an outrageous price go on about how you grew the strawberries yourself and personally cut out all the bits the slugs and snails ate.
7. Pretend you are paranoid - "You're from the CIA aren't you?" "I know you have been watching me through one of those spy satellites - you're watching NOW AREN"T YOU!!!"
6. Pretend you are the dog "HMM HMM Pant pant WOOF WOOF WOOF" DO this loud enough and you will be sure to have the poor telephone salesperson ripping the recievers out of thier ears.
5. Tell them you will call back and that you want thier name and address! Oh! and by the way comment on how NIIICE thier voice is.
4. Pretend you are a different nationality - say Spanish keep saying things like "QUE? QUE? No understandings the Englishes"
3. Pretend to be really stupid and have them explain and reexplain every sentence. "Now what was that you said you was selling again - I plumb forgot."
2. Invite them around to your next balck magic ritual.
1. Pretend you are in the middle of having sex. "Uh Uh Oh Oh OOOOH! Pierre you are magnifique tre bien!"
Last edit by gwenith on May 7, '03