out of 150 fires starting at the gas pump almost all of them involved women
the fires are explosions which can severely burn the person, blow up the car and cause extension damage to the station.
these fires occured when people got back in their car while the gas was still filling, once the gas stopped filling, the person got out of their car, grabbed the nozzle, the fire started as a result of static electricity.
most had on rubber-soled shoes
men seldom get back in their cars while it is filling this is why the vast majority injured have been women.
don't ever use a cell phone or answer a cell phone while pumping gas.
it is the vapor that comes off of the gas while fueling that comes in contact with the static electricity and sets off the fire.
do not leave children in the car while pumping gas.
never get back in the car while pumping gas. if you absolutely must get in and out of your car. get out close the door making sure to touch the metal handle. this will discharge the static electricity before you touch the nozzle.
gas station fires are explosions which cause severe burns, the car may blowup and can cause extensive damage to the gas station. with the winter coming up the incidence of static electricity increase. be careful! more from snopes
Nov 28, '06
This is not false information.
If you follow Roy's link from the #2 post you will see that it is true. Cell phones and gas do not cause fires however gas and static electricity do. It is due to the static electricity and some connection with cell phones that petroleum companies suggest no phones while pumping gas. It's not a matter of cell phones and gas.
Last edit by DutchgirlRN on Nov 28, '06
Nov 29, '06
The thread was started to warn everyone of the hazards of static electricity and gas, a hazard I didn't know about until yesterday. Cold weather is coming up and want everyone to be safe.
Last edit by DutchgirlRN on Nov 29, '06