Spoiled Meat!!!

  1. Okay....if just getting over PMSing wasn't enough, I just went into the kitchen to prepare what I thought was going to be meatloaf, only to pop open the wrapper on the ground turkey to be surprised with the most foul odor ever! It looked fresh through the clear plastic wrapping...nice and pink for the most part.....but the odor....Whew!!! So.....had to come up with some other bright idea for dinner, such as:

    BBQ Wingettes.......thank God I had a bag in the freezer.
    Baked Potato
    Green Beans

    Hubby just called to say he was on his way home from work.....I told him we wouldn't be having that meatloaf after all and why. He said, "You want to return it to the store?" I said, NO, it's not worth the stress, besides, I've already fed it to the garbage disposal....we'll be having something else for dinner instead.

    Have you ever had something like this happen in your home? Just had your tastebuds all set to bite into one thing......and end up having to switch menu plans at the last minute?

    Situations like this remind me of that saying:

    "When Life gives you lemons......make lemonade!" :kiss
    Last edit by live4today on Aug 12, '02
    •  
  2. 13 Comments

  3. by   lisalpn
    I had my heart set on the "turkey" I put in fridge to thaw out..... BUT when I got home and looked at it, it is really turkey pot pie with all kind of veggies in it that my s.o. will not eat...Why cook it if I am the only one that'll eat it...
  4. by   live4today
    Originally posted by lisalpn
    I had my heart set on the "turkey" I put in fridge to thaw out..... BUT when I got home and looked at it, it is really turkey pot pie with all kind of veggies in it that my s.o. will not eat...Why cook it if I am the only one that'll eat it...
    Hi lisalpn

    You know something......I always tell my hubby the very same thing........why cook something if I am the only one who is going to eat it. :chuckle

    We just finished supper: BBQ chicken wingettes, baked potato, and green beans. It was very tasty, but I'm still "tasting" that meatloaf I didn't get to make today. Guess I'll have to go to the grocery store tomorrow for some more ground turkey meat and fix it tomorrow. Hubby was just as happy with the wingettes, potato, and green beans though. :kiss
  5. by   Rustyhammer
    What exactly are "wingettes"?
    -Russell
  6. by   Mkue
    was there an expiration date on the meatloaf? i know it's a silly question but really, if you just opened it and it was spoiled.. yuck, i would be tempted to take it back, the store should stand behind their customers.
  7. by   live4today
    HI Rusty ol' pal! Good to see ya again!
    Wingettes are parts of the chicken wing minus the little wing part??? :kiss


    HI mkue! The expiration date on the package said "Purchase by August 4th"......I did.....but instead of freezing it until ready to use, I let it stay in the coldest part of the refrigerator for a week before deciding to use it, and that's something I have never done before.....won't be doing again.....but...you are right......I should have returned it to the store, but fed it to the garbage disposal instead. I may be the reason it spoiled since I didn't freeze it. Turkey meat doesn't keep as long as ground beef. Live and learn, huh??? :chuckle
  8. by   Motivated, SN
    Some stores here are known to do that kind of thing with ground beef. They wrap fresh ground beef around g. beef that has already gotten brown. I have also bought a spoiled steak; and spoiled chicken. Expiration dates were ok; but I've learned not to buy specials that expire that day. The steak I took back. The store manager asked me "are you sure you know how to make steak?"!
  9. by   researchrabbit
    Have you ever sliced your potatoes and put them UNDER the meatloaf before you cook it? They soak up all the juice and are wonderful -- HAVING FOOD FANTASIES NEED IM HALDOL FAST --
  10. by   ktwlpn
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by cheerfuldoer
    [B]Okay....if just getting over PMSing wasn't enough, I just went into the kitchen to prepare what I thought was going to be meatloaf, only to pop open the wrapper on the ground turkey to be surprised with the most foul odor ever! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....Well-I will share a spoiled meat story-one I have tried to live down for over 10 years now.One hot summer Friday night when my husband was working my mom called and invited my baby and I to go out to dinner with her and her best friend who has had a drinking problem forever-but it was a supposed to be a secret.. I got to the restaurant and mom's girlfriend was lit up like a Christmas tree-sloppy and mean-and this was the first time I ever saw her like that.I had no idea what was going on all of these years....I went home-ate at Mickey D's. I Worked the 3 to 11 shift at the time.The next day as I was getting ready for work I kept accusing my husband of farting-something was smelling stinky and we did not know what....He called me at work later that evening-he said the smell was so bad that he could not stay in the house-he called his mom and dad and they came over and crawled under the house because they thought something had died and gotten up in the walls...They could not find anything and left because it was so bad. I got home at 11:30 and it was really foul(fowl? )....I went into the kitchen-and then it hit me-I had set a package of chicken in the oven to defrost(where the cat would not get to it) the day before...The whole episode with my drunken "auntie" blew me away and I forgot all about it....O Lordy-what a mess-the gross rotten juices had run through the oven to the floor-we worked all night cleaning up that mess....and-of course-the next day my mother- in -law called and my husband told her what had happened.....This was the worst thing I have ever EVER smelled.....Somehow you expect stinky things at work and deal accordingly...But when YOUR HOUSE smells worse then gangrene...aww man (my mom is gone now and my "auntie" continues to drink -she is in her 70's now...I do not deal with her anymore,no enabler here)
  11. by   PuppyLuv
    I know this is a little different than spoiled meat...but a very similiar experience is looking forward to eating something be it leftovers, ice cream, whatever...and then finding out when you get home that somebody ATE it! Grrrrrr.........
  12. by   live4today
    Originally posted by researchrabbit
    Have you ever sliced your potatoes and put them UNDER the meatloaf before you cook it? They soak up all the juice and are wonderful -- HAVING FOOD FANTASIES NEED IM HALDOL FAST --
    No...I've never heard of doing that, researchrabbit! Will have to try it sometime. Thanks for the tip! :kiss
  13. by   live4today
    Originally posted by ktwlpn
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>....Well-I will share a spoiled meat story-one I have tried to live down for over 10 years now.One hot summer Friday night when my husband was working my mom called and invited my baby and I to go out to dinner with her and her best friend who has had a drinking problem forever-but it was a supposed to be a secret.. I got to the restaurant and mom's girlfriend was lit up like a Christmas tree-sloppy and mean-and this was the first time I ever saw her like that.I had no idea what was going on all of these years....I went home-ate at Mickey D's. I Worked the 3 to 11 shift at the time.The next day as I was getting ready for work I kept accusing my husband of farting-something was smelling stinky and we did not know what....He called me at work later that evening-he said the smell was so bad that he could not stay in the house-he called his mom and dad and they came over and crawled under the house because they thought something had died and gotten up in the walls...They could not find anything and left because it was so bad. I got home at 11:30 and it was really foul(fowl? )....I went into the kitchen-and then it hit me-I had set a package of chicken in the oven to defrost(where the cat would not get to it) the day before...The whole episode with my drunken "auntie" blew me away and I forgot all about it....O Lordy-what a mess-the gross rotten juices had run through the oven to the floor-we worked all night cleaning up that mess....and-of course-the next day my mother- in -law called and my husband told her what had happened.....This was the worst thing I have ever EVER smelled.....Somehow you expect stinky things at work and deal accordingly...But when YOUR HOUSE smells worse then gangrene...aww man (my mom is gone now and my "auntie" continues to drink -she is in her 70's now...I do not deal with her anymore,no enabler here) [/B]
    :chuckle This is so funny...I'm sure you think back on it now and laugh, huh??? :chuckle :kiss
  14. by   live4today
    Originally posted by PuppyLuv
    I know this is a little different than spoiled meat...but a very similiar experience is looking forward to eating something be it leftovers, ice cream, whatever...and then finding out when you get home that somebody ATE it! Grrrrrr.........
    My hubby does this to me all the time. Grrrrrrr...is right! :chuckle

close