Speaking of voting...

  1. Any assinine laws pass in your state?

    For the past few years in Louisiana, there's been talk of a "tax swap." Get rid of some state sales taxes, increase income taxes. Sounds good, right?

    It didn't pass the last time they tried, but this time it did pass. The legislature will abolish the state sales tax on food, utilities, and prescription drugs and will increase our income taxes. The "richer" you are, the more you pay. Except they are calling "rich" people those who make $35,000 a year or more.

    So all us nurses are rich.

    What about people who work for money under the table, who don't pay income taxes? They will pay even less now, while those of us who already pay a lot of taxes will pay more. Four cents on the dollar on my grocery bill adds up to a savings of $3-4 a week for me. I can bet way more than that will be held out of my paycheck for the additional income tax. Our state already penalizes you if you itemize on your federal income tax by disallowing your deductions on your state income tax. And if you itemize on federal, you have to itemize on state, even if it makes you pay more in taxes.

    Proponents of the bill said it helps the poor. But the poor don't pay sales tax on their food; they have FOOD STAMPS.

    People actually move to Louisiana to take advantage of our welfare system. Businesses that will bring jobs don't move here because of the tax burden placed on them and on highly paid workers.

    IMO, a consumption (sales) tax is the only way to make sure EVERYONE pays some taxes. Even drug dealers have to eat.
    •  
  2. 14 Comments

  3. by   LasVegasRN
    Well, I have to say it, but the whole ballot issue on only recognizing marriage between a man and a woman made no sense. People have to realize, it's not a gay issue. They refuse to look at the bigger picture.

    Say my best friend gets sick. Very sick. I have her come and live with me, why? Because I love her, she's my best friend, and I'm the best nurse she'd ever have. No, we are not a "same sex couple". She my best friend! Yet, HAD this ballot item been passed, it could have made it possible so that I could have put her on my insurance if I wanted to AND made sure she had some rights while living in my home.

    See, this is another one of those things where people get so wrapped up in perceived moral issues instead of looking at the bigger picture.

    Ugh.
  4. by   Ted
    Originally posted by LasVegasRN
    Well, I have to say it, but the whole ballot issue on only recognizing marriage between a man and a woman made no sense. People have to realize, it's not a gay issue. They refuse to look at the bigger picture.

    Say my best friend gets sick. Very sick. I have her come and live with me, why? Because I love her, she's my best friend, and I'm the best nurse she'd ever have. No, we are not a "same sex couple". She my best friend! Yet, HAD this ballot item been passed, it could have made it possible so that I could have put her on my insurance if I wanted to AND made sure she had some rights while living in my home.

    See, this is another one of those things where people get so wrapped up in perceived moral issues instead of looking at the bigger picture.

    Ugh.
    Well said. . .and Ditto with the "Ugh"!

    Ted
  5. by   Rustyhammer
    Denine,
    Did they pass the pot law and succeed in banning tobacco?
    -Russell
  6. by   LasVegasRN
    Originally posted by Rustyhammer
    Denine,
    Did they pass the pot law and succeed in banning tobacco?
    -Russell
    Yep! It's going that way! The tobacco banning ballot questions where only advisories, which now that they passed, they'll be on the official ballot next election. However, the ban does not affect businesses that have clients that are over 21. So, you can smoke in casinos. The nudie bars and brothels may have a problem though. Hee.

    So, NO you can't smoke weed legally, but you can puff away all you want with tobacco in ADULT businesses.
  7. by   kristi915
    I don't really know, but I can check later on.

    The only thing I really care about now is Peter Mills coming and getting his dang sign off my lawn. I swear they're watching me. I took that sign off my lawn twice and threw it on the other side of the road, and ever afternoon when I came home from school, there it was in the EXACT SAME spot it was on my lawn before.......
  8. by   ptnurse
    We passed a lottery law in my part of Tennessee. There was a MAJOR scuffle here over the legislator trying to pay a income tax last year. And I do mean scuffle. Some windows in the capitol got broken and the national guard was on duty for some period of time around the capitol. The income tax failed, so now we have an ok for a state lottery. All the money is, by law, to go to education. The researchers say that the poor pay the most into a lottery. If that is true, I really hate that it passed. I voted against it, but I guess that is about all I can do about it.( Except let the lottery money send my kids to college in a few years. )
  9. by   Stargazer
    Originally posted by kristi915
    I don't really know, but I can check later on.

    The only thing I really care about now is Peter Mills coming and getting his dang sign off my lawn. I swear they're watching me. I took that sign off my lawn twice and threw it on the other side of the road, and ever afternoon when I came home from school, there it was in the EXACT SAME spot it was on my lawn before.......
    Isn't that illegal? (His putting unwanted campaign signs on your lawn, not you removing them.) Please tell me he didn't win.
  10. by   OBNURSEHEATHER
    Originally posted by Stargazer
    Isn't that illegal? (His putting unwanted campaign signs on your lawn, not you removing them.) Please tell me he didn't win.
    Um... I thought so. I thought the way you got signs in your yard was if you called and asked for one. It's private property.

    Heather
  11. by   kristi915
    Yea, well they don't give a shitterfritter about it. Atleast last year Betty Lou Mitchell asked if she could put it on..........we said yes, but if they don't ask, they need to be keepin their dang signs off MY lawn!
  12. by   baseline
    I voted for the pregnant pigs.
  13. by   nurs4kids
    Well, at least ya'll HAVE a governor! I'm sure it'll be weeks..maybe months, before we know who our gov will be <sigh> i'm so sick of politicians.
  14. by   Mkue
    There is "talk" of raising the drinking age from 21 to 25 !

close