Saving Photos

  1. This is a spin off from 3rdshiftguys thread about what you would save in case of a fire.

    Wondering if anyone saves family photos to CD's or disks? I guess you would have to scan them first then save to a disk or CD.

    At any rate, all you would have to do is grab the box of CD's or store them in a fireproof safe.

    Just wondering if anyone has tried this.

    Marie
    •  
  2. 19 Comments

  3. by   kristi915
    My boyfriend has burned some of our pics onto a cd from his computer so I can put them on mine..

    It works and does come in handy, but I guess I just have a thing with the original picture. BUT, in a fire I guess I'd grab what I could and atleast I would have the pictures..
  4. by   Love-A-Nurse
    no, haven't tried this although it sounds like a great idea.
  5. by   renerian
    I am embarrassed to say I have a cd burner/scanner/dvd player on my computer and with work and school I am so busy I have not figured out how to use them yet......LOL.

    renerian:imbar
  6. by   emily_mom
    I never thought about doing that. While the original would obviously be better, you should take what you can get. Better than not having any at all! Thanks for the idea!
  7. by   DIPLOMATICRN4HIRE
    Since I travel so much between the states and overseas, I had our photo albums put also on cd, and I take them with me so if I get lonely I can look at the reasons why I do what I do. Its a fairly easy process and getting very cheap to do so. If you do keep the disks at home they do make a fireproof box to keep them and your other important disks on.
    Zoe
  8. by   Tookie
    Following the fires loaclly and in canberrrs - we were having this very discussion - re what would we save if we had time to pack the car, that we might get a fire proof box for valyable papers and burning the olf photos (Oh where do l start with that) onto CDs and keeping them safe

    Yes memories are wonderful to have --- however for the fear of sounding morbid herre - is we get dementia ect what will our children have left to explain what things mean unless we do it now

    I am so please my computer literate father (86) is recording on the computer his and my Mums history - we are all prompting this - not just for us but the grandchildren as well

    Thanks for the thread it seems to be confirming our thoughts - now just have to DO IT
  9. by   Mkue
    I have a group of photos that I've been saving to make a DVD of my oldest sons high school years and I have selected the music (about 6 songs). I'm going to try to do it myself, otherwise it would cost over 50.00 to send it out.

    That is kind of how I can up with the idea. Thanks for all your replies.
  10. by   Mkue
    Originally posted by kristi915
    My boyfriend has burned some of our pics onto a cd from his computer so I can put them on mine..

    It works and does come in handy, but I guess I just have a thing with the original picture. BUT, in a fire I guess I'd grab what I could and atleast I would have the pictures..
    I know what you mean about the original kristi, it's so important.

  11. by   Mkue
    originally posted by love-a-nurse
    no, haven't tried this although it sounds like a great idea.
    let me know if you try it stephany !
  12. by   Mkue
    Originally posted by renerian
    I am embarrassed to say I have a cd burner/scanner/dvd player on my computer and with work and school I am so busy I have not figured out how to use them yet......LOL.

    renerian:imbar
    Renerian, time is the biggest problem, finding the time to use the cool stuff on our computers !
  13. by   Mkue
    Originally posted by emily_mom
    I never thought about doing that. While the original would obviously be better, you should take what you can get. Better than not having any at all! Thanks for the idea!
    kristi, we could even have copies made of the CD's and give them to family for safe keeping. Let me know if you ever try it !

    Thanks,Marie
  14. by   Mkue
    Originally posted by ITSJUSTMEZOE
    Since I travel so much between the states and overseas, I had our photo albums put also on cd, and I take them with me so if I get lonely I can look at the reasons why I do what I do. Its a fairly easy process and getting very cheap to do so. If you do keep the disks at home they do make a fireproof box to keep them and your other important disks on.
    Zoe
    Zoe, that's a great idea to take them with you while traveling ! It may be getting cheaper to do like you said.

    Thanks, Marie

close