Question for smokers that have quite????

  1. I really, really, really need some help because I'm struggling. I decided to do a gradual cut down on my cigarettes. I'm not quitting cold turkey because I don't think my blood pressure can handle that added stress right now and it was my out of control BP that lead me to my decision to quite. I'm down to 10 cigarettes a day from 30-40, so I feel I'm making progress. I pretty much chain smoked before but now instead of smoking 6-8 at a sitting, like when I'm on the computer, I allow myself only one. I'll do this for a few weeks, focusing on changing my habits and lifestyle and trying to make the habit one of, "not lighting up at a particular time." Then I will go to 8 cigs a day, etc. My problem is, "WHAT THE HECK DO I DO WITH MY HANDS????" (Be nice) That's the part of smoking I really like, the hand thing. I thought about just holding the cigarette but then I look at it and want to smoke it, so got rid of that idea. Anyhow, any help would be appreciated, just gotta figure out how to do this without stressing myself out and increasing my BP.
    •  
  2. 18 Comments

  3. by   jamistlc
    Good for you! let me know how it is going, going, gone! I think a pencil in place of the cigarette may help!

    I do not think that cutting down is realistic, nicotine is so addictive! And if you know about the medical mdel of addiction cigarettes is both mental and physical with one of the most substances known to man lessor so than Crack but more than cocaine!

    Peace,
    Jami
  4. by   MandM
    Duckie-- I did the hypnosis thing and it really worked for me--I think it worked because it showed me how to relax (whenever I got a craving) with the tapes that they gave me. The mental battle of wanting a cigarette decreased but at times it still creeps in. Sometimes it is worse than others.My suggestion is to find a tape that is relaxing- when you get the urge go to a quite place a listen to it. When you do quit all together keep telling yourself that you are a NON-SMOKER (not an ex-smoker or that your quitting smoking). For some reason it helped. Drink lots of water too. As far as doing something with your hands my suggestion is dont do anything with them-- because lets say you fiddle with something everytime you want a cigarette, eventually you will associate that action with a cigarette and everytime you start to fiddle you will be thinking of a cigarette. Also it was suggested not to chew gum as a replacement, again because of the association. I would suggest that you get busy and try to focus on something besides the cigarette.
    Lots of luck to you! It is hard, but it can be done.
    Mary
  5. by   MandM
    P.S
    Since you are cutting down first-- DONT smoke when you really want to i.e. after eating or sex, driving or on the computer. Then I would try to not smoke in the house, that way it becomes an inconvenience. Let us know how you are doing and if you need any support!
  6. by   codebluechic
    My problem is, "WHAT THE HECK DO I DO WITH MY HANDS????"
    Duckie, don't laugh, I bought myself a Yo-Yo!!! It worked!
  7. by   duckie
    Originally posted by MandM:
    <STRONG>P.S
    Since you are cutting down first-- DONT smoke when you really want to i.e. after eating or sex, driving or on the computer. Then I would try to not smoke in the house, that way it becomes an inconvenience. Let us know how you are doing and if you need any support!</STRONG>
    A friend of mine gave me this same advice. She quite smoking, using the cut down method. She told me NOT to smoke at all those trigger times, like you said. She told me that when I was going to allow myself a cigarette, to go someplace quiet and alone, and just concentrate on the cig. at the time. I have found that I am getting more from less cigs doing it this way. But less smoking is triggering me to want to eat more, most likley for the hand to mouth thing. With me, if I can't have it, that makes me want it even more. I have also designated myself a smoking area and every other place is off limits. I am having headaches a lot which could be the decrease in nicotine or my BP, but I know both will ease in time. Thanks for your advice and support, I need it!!!
  8. by   duckie
    Originally posted by codebluechic:
    <STRONG>My problem is, "WHAT THE HECK DO I DO WITH MY HANDS????"
    Duckie, don't laugh, I bought myself a Yo-Yo!!! It worked!</STRONG>
    Hey, I'm not laughing, that's a cool idea BUT in my house with my 3 dogs, I'd spend more time trying to chase them away from it than "yo yoing". But wouldn't a little ball I could squeeze do the same thing? I just had a funny thought...it would also provide me with a weapon. Someone ticks me off, I could whack em' in the back of the head they'd have to understand, after all I'm going through withdrawal...I'll try that on hubby, he's got a great sense of humor. He's a smoker but is not smoking around me. And my daughter is quitting too. I'll go get me a little ball to squeeze, oh I'm setting myself up on that one! hehe
  9. by   duckie
    Originally posted by MandM:
    <STRONG>Duckie-- I did the hypnosis thing and it really worked for me--I think it worked because it showed me how to relax (whenever I got a craving) with the tapes that they gave me. The mental battle of wanting a cigarette decreased but at times it still creeps in. Sometimes it is worse than others.My suggestion is to find a tape that is relaxing- when you get the urge go to a quite place a listen to it. When you do quit all together keep telling yourself that you are a NON-SMOKER (not an ex-smoker or that your quitting smoking). For some reason it helped. Drink lots of water too. As far as doing something with your hands my suggestion is dont do anything with them-- because lets say you fiddle with something everytime you want a cigarette, eventually you will associate that action with a cigarette and everytime you start to fiddle you will be thinking of a cigarette. Also it was suggested not to chew gum as a replacement, again because of the association. I would suggest that you get busy and try to focus on something besides the cigarette.
    Lots of luck to you! It is hard, but it can be done.
    Mary</STRONG>
    What sort of tapes did you use? You mean you were hypnotized or just used tapes for relaxing? How do you find someone to do that?
  10. by   OBNURSEHEATHER
    I am a smoker and have actually quit several times (don't laugh - I figure it's better than never having quit at all)! I found that gradually cutting down worked best for me. My trigger was driving. I actually had to learn to drive with 2 hands! But I had my car cleaned thouroughly and didn't allow myself to smoke in it. That helped alot. I was able to cut down to 4-5 a day between not smoking in the car or at work (which I never do anyways).

    One of these days I'll quit for good (I hope)! I just never quit quitting!

    Good luck!
    Heather
  11. by   MandM
    Originally posted by Duckie:
    <STRONG>What sort of tapes did you use? You mean you were hypnotized or just used tapes for relaxing? How do you find someone to do that?</STRONG>
    I was actually hypontized-- Afterwards they gave us a tape that was made by the same person that does the hypnosis. I live in Ohio and called 1-800-LUNG-USA. It is sponsored by the American Lung Association, so you may be able to call them for info. They were great--It only cost $50. Watch out for other independant clinics--my mother attended one and they tried to sell her a bunch of tapes and other garbage. The one I went to did not try to sell me anything, and they gave me the tape.
    If you dont go this route though, I would suggest a tape that is soothing-m/b nature sounds etc. Any kind of tape that will allow to relax
    Good luck and if you or anyone needs any more info let me know!
    Mary
  12. by   duckie
    Originally posted by MandM:
    <STRONG>
    Originally posted by Duckie:
    [qb]What sort of tapes did you use? You mean you were hypnotized or just used tapes for relaxing? How do you find someone to do that?</STRONG>
    I was actually hypontized-- Afterwards they gave us a tape that was made by the same person that does the hypnosis. I live in Ohio and called 1-800-LUNG-USA. It is sponsored by the American Lung Association, so you may be able to call them for info. They were great--It only cost $50. Watch out for other independant clinics--my mother attended one and they tried to sell her a bunch of tapes and other garbage. The one I went to did not try to sell me anything, and they gave me the tape.
    If you dont go this route though, I would suggest a tape that is soothing-m/b nature sounds etc. Any kind of tape that will allow to relax
    Good luck and if you or anyone needs any more info let me know!
    Mary[/QB]
    If I call this number can they tell me where to go to have it done? Sounds interesting, thanks for the hlep!!!
  13. by   MandM
    Originally posted by Duckie:
    <STRONG>If I call this number can they tell me where to go to have it done? Sounds interesting, thanks for the hlep!!!</STRONG>
    Its worth a shot, they m/b able to tell who to call for your state. You could also try the American Lung Association if they are unable to help you.
    Mary
  14. by   hoolahan
    I quit gradually until I was down to 3 ciggs a day, then I realized it was because I HAD to have a ciggarette when I drank my coffee. So...I stopped drinking coffee! That was the worst torment of all. I think it was a good three months before I had the courage to have a cup without a cigg. And when I did, the craving was STRONG to smoke, but I resisted. Also, even though I rarely drink, I used to always enjoy a smoke with any alcoholic drink. That was hard, except when in a crowded room, I realized how disgusting the smell of the ciggs were. After about a year, I started to feel repulsed by the smell of cigg smoke. Now I am even worse. I can'r even stand to be outside if people are smoking around me.

    It is a very hard habit to break, so best of luck to you. Glad to see you are putting your health first. A word of warning though. I quit in the fall, and 2 months later, I was sicker than I had ever been in my life, with a URI. I actually expectorated for the first time in my life....sorry to be gross. I was at work and commented to one of the docs that I quit in the first place because I was tired of getting sinus infections and URI's in the winter. He explained that since smoking killed off all my cilia, they were now working again, and that is why I had such a wicked URI this time. I have never, thankfully, been that sick since. Just wanted to warn you in case you get sick any time soon.

close