Question about child abuse investigators

  1. I was reading our local paper the other day, and there was an article about a special investigations unit for child abuse that was now part of the local police department. It used to be in the social services department.

    Well, those people might have some special training, but to me, a child abuse investigation is basically a medical exam, and might be better to have a nurse do it, not a layman.

    Your thoughts?
  2. 4 Comments

  3. by   scrubs70
    absolutely, something as serious as child abuse should be handled by a seperate entity entirely with medical training not left to local law enforcement agencies
  4. by   DebsZoo
    Child abuse investigations involve several aspects, not just medical. Medical staff is used when sexual and/or physical abuse is suspect. There is also neglect that is considered abusive, as well as drug/alcohol abuse within the home that has major impact on whether a child is in immanent danger (grounds for removal or intervention). As a foster/adoptive parent I know that doctors, nurses, psychologists, schools and family are all used to help an abuse/neglect allegation. The norm, if a child has been removed, is to have the child physically examined ASAP.
    A good portion of the time, an immediate decision must be made, many times late at night. In my experience, the workers that make these calls have undergone extensive training to recognize all aspects of abuse.
  5. by   Sleepyeyes
    Thanks for the responses. I was just curious.
  6. by   caroladybelle
    Maybe a Forensic nurse?