Period abnormalities. Help!

  1. My friend who is 18 has been having period abnormalities and she wants me to get some professional advice from you guys. Her period had always been irregular (she used to get them once every three months) but lately, she's been getting lights periods that last for four days and then stop, then come back two or three days later. THis has happened 3 times this month already. Does anyone know what's wrong?
  2. Visit happystar profile page

    About happystar

    Joined: Jul '02; Posts: 50


  3. by   Sleepyeyes
    She needs to see a doc.
    Go with her.
  4. by   micro
    Does she go to a ob/gyn with more emphasis on the gyn part of the doc's title.
    There is more than likely nothing wrong, or seriously wrong.....but needs to get checked out. Could be a very simple explanation and/or very simple tx plan.
    That all for now, but your friend could PM me anytime if wants(if has access for PM).......
    just for a shoulder and an I was eighteen once, actually I was fifteen once also............:/
    Your professional opinion should be for her to see a Dr , and thats it. When people ask your opinion as a nurse or even if your student , they tend to use your advice over a DR's, because they have a more personal relationship with you then they do with someone who they see intermittenly. Unless you specialize in this area, and have possibly some insight into her habbits and you can use your xray vission to do a diagnosis, your best bet is to stay neutral and supportive and help her locate a GYN that she would feel comfortable with.
    Just my 2 cents
  6. by   Love-A-Nurse
    i would also suggest your friend see a doctor. i pray all goes well and give your friend a ((((((hug))))) from me.
  7. by   globalRN
    Your friend should see her primary healthcare provider: nurse practitioner or doctor.

    Hey everyone, don't forget that nurse practitioners can also provide primary care.
  8. by   BadBird
    I would advise her to make a gyn appt. My niece had a similiar experience and was told that it was hormonal and was put on birth control pills to regulate her.
  9. by   fedupnurse
    Definetly needs to see a doc. May be normal for her or may be hormonal. She should ask to have her thyroid levels check among other hormone levels. She definetly should see someone. Hope all goes well for her.
  10. by   happystar
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'll definately get her to see a doctor.