My 16 & 14 yr old daughters brought some supplies down to the Red Cross & ended up staying 3 hrs to help out. They answered phones, read a list to people who called asking what was needed, packed boxes of supplies, formed an assembly line &
loaded up the trucks. Then they took hundreds of the Red Cross's flyers listing the needed supplies to merchants all around the neighborhood to post in their stores, posted them on car windshields, & also gave them out to people on bus stops, in parking lots, on the sidewalks. They were greeted very enthusiastically by everyone & were surprised at how happy the merchants were to get the flyers & how fast they posted them. My girls came home high with a sense of having
accomplished something. They were so excited & jumping all around begging to stay longer, go back again tomorrow & Sunday. They cant go on Saturday because one is having her sweet 16 birthday party but they will be there all day Sunday. Tonight, theyre talking about being regular Red Cross volunteers. The 14 yr old wants to "join". I was surprised they were so excited. I thought theyd be complaining about having to work! I havent been called in to work at all since unfortunately there are no pts. Census all over the city is down because pts were moved out to make room for the expected survivors that never came. So Ive been off since Monday. The kids signed me up to work the Red Cross office on Sunday with them. When the Red Cross heard I was an RN, they said they may send me to Staten Island Yankee Stadium - the new minor league stadium on the edge of the harbor . The kids thought that was great. I however know that stadium is being used as the new city morgue.
I'll do whatever I can but I dont know if I can do that. I promised to post the flyer they were passing around......
RED + CROSS
1838 Hylan Blvd
Staten Island, NY 10305
Donations are being collected at 1838 Hylan Blvd
(between Naughton Ave & Dongan Hills Rd)
- heavy duty respirator masks
- Medical Supplies - HPE filter masks, saline eye wash, Bacitracin, Betadine, vaseline gauze, saline irrigation bottles, Kling bandages, 4x4s, band aides, isopropyl alcohol, eye protection goggles, eye pads, scrubs
, and anything else your facility can donate
- packaged snacks, hard candies, small bottles of drinking water
- lots of throat lozenges
- tooth brushes, tooth paste, mouth wash
- under shirts and shorts (larger sizes)
- construction boots & sneakers (size 10 & up) need not be new
- new or used sweat pants, tee shirts, light jackets, cotton socks
- heavy duty work gloves
- welders and iron workers!!
- FINANCIAL DONATIONS PLEASE