Just curious--what is the medical term for...

  1. "buttcrack?" I don't think I've ever seen that addressed back in my medical terminology class days.

    For example, if you had to chart that a patient had a rash there, what would you say?
  2. 32 Comments

  3. by   Farkinott
    Buttock cleft
  4. by   NurseStacey143
    i just say sacrum
  5. by   Monica RN,BSN
    I would say "pt. has a rash present on buttocks" and would describe with measurements if able.
    If it were high up the crack I would say sacral
    if it were lower and more generalized I would say gluteal
  6. by   Monica RN,BSN
    Quote from Farkinott
    Buttock cleft
    I have never heard of buttock cleft.. I will have to look it up now that I am curious
  7. by   luvin it
    It's a wonderful profession when we are able ponder such things. LOLOLOL
  8. by   UM Review RN
    How about coccyx?

    1. Sacral crest
    2. Coccyx
    3. Posterior sacral foramen
    4. Iliac crest
    5. Sacral hiatus
    6. Vertebral foramen
    Last edit by UM Review RN on Oct 30, '04
  9. by   RN-PA
    How about "Intergluteal Cleft". After searching in an online medical dictionary (Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary), this seemed to make the most sense.

    crena (cre-na) (kre¢n[schwa]) pl. cre¢nae [L. "notch," from crenare to split] a notch or cleft

    crena ana¢lis, [TA] intergluteal cleft: the cleft between the buttocks on which the anus opens. Called also anal, clunial, gluteal, or natal cleft, c. ani or c. interglutealis [TA alternatives], c. clunium, gluteal furrow, rima ani, and rima clunium.

    gluteal sulcus, sulcus glutea¢lis, [TA] a curved transverse groove or fold on the posterior aspect of the upper thigh, separating the upper part of the thigh from the nates (buttocks); called also gluteal fold or furrow.

    Butt crack is so much more descriptive though, wouldn't you agree?
  10. by   leslie :-D
    what about longitudinal anal fissure?

    or inner gluteal fold, proximal/distal to.....
  11. by   VivaLasViejas
    Quote from earle58
    what about longitudinal anal fissure?

    Or how about plain ol' gluteus crackimus??
  12. by   prmenrs
    Gluteal fold is what I've used/heard. Longitudinal anal fissure would confuse it w/the an anal fissure. Ouch.

    I do like gluteus crackimus a lot, tho....
  13. by   live4today
    Patient has a rash between the crevice of the buttocks.
  14. by   leslie :-D
    i vote for gluteus crackimus.