Help, want to know the name of an illness

  1. I have a friend who's father has a heart (or circulatory) disease. My friend has inherited this disease as well and i would like to learn more about it. The problem i'm unsure of the name of this disease, therefore making further research next to impossible. If anyone can would be great. The condition is where the artery which supplies blood to the heart (or body, i can't remember) is partially blocked, also the heart is known to beat irregularly. as in a few regular beats, then pause, then a series of very quick beating.

    I know i'm being very vague, but if anyone can give me a name to search for or something (even if it might not be it), it'll be great.

    Last edit by happystar on Mar 23, '03
  2. 3 Comments

  3. by   canoehead
    The vessel that supplies blood to the heart is the vena cava, and the one that supplies blood to the body is the aorta. Narrowing of a vessel is called stenosis.

    However you could be describing a "heart block" where the electrical signals that pass through the heart are not conducting as they should, and causing an irregular heartbeat. These are very different conditions, and you need more information to look up anything worthwhile.
  4. by   c.wicks
    Dysrhythmia is the term for an irregular heart rhythm. While many diseases of the heart may include a hereditory factor, some have a higher incident rate attributed to a genetic predisposition.

    Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (aortic stenosis) is a primary disease of the cardiac muscle and is transmitted genetically as an autosomal dominant trait in approximatly half of the population diagnosed with this disease.

    I hope this information will help with your search. coronary artery disease, arrhythmia
  5. by   Aussienurse2
    "Angina Pectoris may be precipitated by hampered circulation of the blood caused by arteriosclerotic narrowing of the coronary artery" a med dictionary I have. Don't think it is an inherited problem though unles it is caused by a genetic misprint. Unless you mean cardiomyopathy? Or perhaps peripheral vascular disease? Maybe you could just ask your friend to spell it for you?