Free/cheap tax advice?

  1. I know it's a little early to be thinking about taxes, but mine are going to be a pain in the rear this year. It's complicated by many many W2s (I worked home health for a while and get a W2 for every city I worked in since each city has different taxes), tuition and books, and student loans (I don't know if I report those as income or what).

    Last year my taxes were also complicated because I moved across states halfway through the year and I was confused. Foolishly I went to H&R Block who tried to charge me almost $200 for "advice." I don't mind doing the paperwork myself, I just want to make sure I do it right. Anyone know of a good resource a poor unemployed nursing student could use for tax advice in the upcoming season? At my old school the legal services for students office helped with taxes, but it seems like the office at my current school won't give tax advice. Thanks for any recommendations!
  2. 1 Comments

  3. by   SouthernLPN2RN
    I use a program called Taxslayer. It's free, but it costs about $10 to file. You can also visit the irs website and look at their instructions/faq.