For Sci-Fi fans

  1. I just found a site with press releases about the movies the Sci-Fi channel is planning on airing this coming year. They are already advertising the Spielberg mini-series "Taken," but they are also planning on broadcasting "The Chronicles of Amber," "The Forever War," and a new version of "Battlestar Galactica," as well as other original movies. I am a big sci fi fan, and have always felt the Sci-Fi channel does a good job on their movies and series. If you want to read the press releases, here is the link.

    http://www.sftv.org/sftv/scifi.html
    •  
  2. 10 Comments

  3. by   bagladyrn
    Thanks for posting this. Now I'm really anxious to see what they do with the Chronicles of Amber - one of my favorite series for years. I recently picked up the omnibus edition and began re-reading from the start - and it's still just as good as I remember. Now I'm going to have to add a new requirement to my travel contracts - must be in an area that has the SciFi Channel on it's local cable!
  4. by   RNinICU
    I was doing some more surfing, and found another site with more info. They are also working on movie versions of "Riverworld," "The Left Hand of Darkness." and "The Earthsea Trilogy." These are some of my favorite books, and I can't wait to see what Sci-Fi does with them.

    http://www.ncta.com/guidebook_pdfs/SciFi.pdf
  5. by   vettech
    Originally posted by RNinICU
    I just found a site with press releases about the movies the Sci-Fi channel is planning on airing this coming year. They are already advertising the Spielberg mini-series "Taken," but they are also planning on broadcasting "The Chronicles of Amber," "The Forever War," and a new version of "Battlestar Galactica," as well as other original movies. I am a big sci fi fan, and have always felt the Sci-Fi channel does a good job on their movies and series. If you want to read the press releases, here is the link.

    http://www.sftv.org/sftv/scifi.html
    Wow, "The Chronicles of Amber"! That's one of my favorite book series. Wonder how they're gonna represent the walking of the Pattern? Hmmmmmmmm

    What I've been desparately awaiting is someone to give the Pern series a go. With today's CGI, it should be a snap. Or perhaps animated?

    Thanks for the link!
  6. by   oramar
    You know Sci Fi channel is my favorite. I am surprised that some of my friends tell me that they have it and never watch it.
  7. by   Rustyhammer
    We got the satalite system mainly for the sci-fi channel.
    Now if I could only make the time to watch it.
    -Russell
  8. by   RNinICU
    Originally posted by vettech


    Wow, "The Chronicles of Amber"! That's one of my favorite book series. Wonder how they're gonna represent the walking of the Pattern? Hmmmmmmmm

    What I've been desparately awaiting is someone to give the Pern series a go. With today's CGI, it should be a snap. Or perhaps animated?

    Thanks for the link!
    The WB network has been working on a Dragonriders of Pern series, but has not gotten too far with it. The last I heard, the producers were having "creative differences," and production was temporarily stopped. As popular as this series is, I would hope that someone will have the good sense to do something, either a movie or mini series. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  9. by   Zee_RN
    Ohh! "Chronicles of Amber"! Read that a LONG time ago. Dragonrider series too?! That would be toooo cool if they do it right.

    Will have to check out site. Thanks for the heads up! I've got a five-shelf floor to ceiling bookcase that is DOUBLE-STACKED with sci-fi/fantasy books (hubby has been a member of the Sci-Fi Book Club for at least 10 years--probably longer).
  10. by   vettech
    Originally posted by RNinICU


    The WB network has been working on a Dragonriders of Pern series, but has not gotten too far with it. The last I heard, the producers were having "creative differences," and production was temporarily stopped. As popular as this series is, I would hope that someone will have the good sense to do something, either a movie or mini series. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
    Check Anne McCaffrey's officie site (sorry, don't know the URL offhand), the project has been cancelled.

    I have a friend who is an engineer for our local WB station here and she broke the news to me.

    I think the real debate is where would you start if you were going to do a Pern series for TV? Do you do a lengthy mini-series of the original trilogy? A shorter (2 parter maybe) of "Moreta"? Or maybe start with "Dragonsdawn". I'd be afraid to let them write a new story... even McCaffrey's latest few Pern novels have been a bit lacking.
  11. by   micro
    sci-fi.....my original hobby.....................
    gradeschool level reading star trek and other science fiction reading........
    back then, not now.........

    micro :O
  12. by   bagladyrn
    Why not now Micro? I need the escape to fantasy now more than ever!

close