Fire Caution Reminder

  1. My father just had a fire in his house because of a seasonal candle that was left unattended, and collapsed the side, catching the decorations around the base on fire. Thank god he had a fire extinguisher and was able to put it out before losing the house and everything in it. There was significant smoke damage, however, and they are spending the holidays in a hotel courtesy of the homeowners insurance company, (not very christmas-y you know?)

    So here's a little reminder to turn off xmas tree lights when you go to bed or aren't home, keep an eye on candles, and for god's sake, don't forgot to check the battery in your smoke detector - (I'm investing in a new smoke detector since the old one goes off if anyone takes a shower). And if you have gas appliances, a carbon monoxide detector might not be a bad idea either. Also, might think about putting the family picture albums in storage away from your home, (and important documents in a safe deposit box) or give the albums to other family members as well so you don't lose them all if your house catches fire.

    We always think that will never happen to us, but I'm counting my blessings right now that my father was not killed in this fire.

    Merry Christmas everyone,
  2. Visit craff1 profile page

    About craff1

    Joined: Aug '01; Posts: 119; Likes: 3
    substitute teacher/phlebotomist


  3. by   donmurray
    A timely warning!. Make sure the batteries in your smoke detectors are fresh. You DO have smoke detectors, don't you?