Does anyone wear bifocal contacts?

  1. I tried on my first pair of bifocal contacts today...even though my vision "tested" OK--I just don't feel like I see right. The Dr. encouraged me to try them for a week.

    Has anyone else ever tried them? Do you like them? Does the vision seem a little strange?

    Thanks for any help.
    Last edit by SusanRN2004 on Aug 16, '02
    •  
  2. 20 Comments

  3. by   Love-A-Nurse
    i only wear eye glasses to see from a distance, especially when i am driving.
  4. by   stevierae
    I would like to get bifocal contacts; just too expensive.

    The ophthalmolgist told me to do this instead; he actually recommended it OVER bifocal contacts:

    Wear contact in your dominant eye with prescription for DISTANCE. Wear contact in your non-dominant eye for READING and other close work--that is, filled with what WOULD be the prescription for the LOWER part of a bifocal lens.

    It took me about 2 weeks to get used to, but it works fine for me.

    Let us know if you do get the bifocal contacts. Thye probably need a similar "adjusting" period.
    Last edit by stevierae on Aug 15, '02
  5. by   SusanRN2004
    Originally posted by stevierae
    I would like to get bifocal contacts; just too expensive.

    The ophthalmolgist told me to do this instead; he actually recommended it OVER bifocal contacts:

    Wear contact in your dominant eye with prescription for DISTANCE. Wear contact in your non-dominant eye for READING and other close work--that is, filled with what WOULD be the prescription for the LOWER part of a bifocal lens.

    It took me about 2 weeks to get used to, but it works fine for me.

    Let us know if you do get the bifocal contacts. Thye probably need a similar "adjusting" period.
    That may actually be what I have...I am wearing them now and they are making me sick! I am thinking about just staying with the glasses, not sure if I could stand this for the two week adjustment!
  6. by   kristi915
    My mom has tried them. She dosn't like them. She said it is weird when she looks down because the bifocals are always there. She only wants the bifocal to read, so I don't think she wears the bifocal contacts anymore. I think she just wears her contacts and uses reading glasses. Or just wears her glasses w/ bifocals.
  7. by   Cathy Wilson, RN
    I have them, and like them, and they haven't been expensive. Mine are Johnson and Johnson, and they look like an archery target. The bifocal is in alternating rings with the rest of the prescription. It took me about a week to get used to them.
  8. by   caliotter3
    I can't even get used to regular bifocal glasses nor the progressive glasses! I have gone back to two pair of glasses. My regular distance glasses for driving. Store-bought magnifying glasses for reading. These cheap glasses are really better than the reading prescription glasses I got, which don't seem to work at all. The only reason I ever wanted contacts was to get the different color lenses for vanity reasons. Too bad they told me I won't be able to wear contacts.
  9. by   renerian
    Susan I have worn bifocal contacts for a year and a half. I needed a week to try them out. I also needed to have the prescription adjusted twice. One time everything was blurry. From what the eye dr. told me that if you have astigmatism the contacts won't correct that. I could either chose the bifocals or the astigmatism being corrected. I have a hard time reading for long periods of time. They are alot more expensive than the regular contacts. I pay $90 for five pair. I tried 1800contacts and the price was a little less. What is your problem you are having with them?

    renerian
  10. by   SusanRN2004
    Originally posted by renerian
    Susan I have worn bifocal contacts for a year and a half. I needed a week to try them out. I also needed to have the prescription adjusted twice. One time everything was blurry. From what the eye dr. told me that if you have astigmatism the contacts won't correct that. I could either chose the bifocals or the astigmatism being corrected. I have a hard time reading for long periods of time. They are alot more expensive than the regular contacts. I pay $90 for five pair. I tried 1800contacts and the price was a little less. What is your problem you are having with them?

    renerian
    The vision is terrible! She said I tested 20/30 on the eye chart, but I was looking through a blur...
    They also gave me a headache and made me sick!
    With school starting on Monday, I told them I don't have time to adjust...I am waiting on them to call me back>
  11. by   renerian
    Susan I think your contacts are to strong. ASk them to back it down a little. I had to tell my eye dr. that they were to strong so they changed it. WEnt down two times before I got one I could tolerate. Did they have you try the single vision? Do you wear bifocal glasses? I do so it was not a change once I got the right script.

    Don't give up just ask them to back it down a little. They don't pay much for the trials if they pay for them at all.

    renerian
  12. by   SusanRN2004
    Originally posted by renerian
    Susan I think your contacts are to strong. ASk them to back it down a little. I had to tell my eye dr. that they were to strong so they changed it. WEnt down two times before I got one I could tolerate. Did they have you try the single vision? Do you wear bifocal glasses? I do so it was not a change once I got the right script.

    Don't give up just ask them to back it down a little. They don't pay much for the trials if they pay for them at all.

    renerian
    I have worn regular contacts off and on for 25 years. I wear bifocal glasses now. I may just go back to the single vision contacts and wear glasses for reading. Trouble is being a student, and a reader anyway, I can be in a book for 6-8 hours a day. I have paid for the fitting, so I will probably have them try something else.

    Another problem with the bifocal contacts is that I don't want to wear them everyday...and with contacts like that, you probably have to wear them on a regular basis.
  13. by   renerian
    Susan I wear mine when I get the urge and leave them in for six days. Hardly even know theyare in. I think you doing back to single vision could be a good idea too. I love mine. I can't afford to wear them all the time though. Three other people in my family wear contacts so mom does not get them as often as she wants them LOL.

    Good luck,

    ren
  14. by   plumrn
    I just got contacts as someone said, one eye for distance, and the other eye for close vision. The Dr called it monovision, I believe.
    I was skeptical at first, but I had absolutely no trouble with them. I am truly amazed! He told me it would take a couple of weeks to get used to them, but I had absolutely no problem from the start. I see just as well through these as I used to with single vision contacts before presbyopia set in. No blinking or straining at all. Hope it keeps up. Just got them Monday.

close