Dealing with Tendonitis

  1. Hello everyone! Just wanted to know if anyone has any good tips in dealing with tendonitis. I have tendonitis in the right elbow (golfers' elbow). Elbow started hurting approx 4 months ago. Had cortisone injection (lasted maybe a month...of being pain free) & take Vioxx....not helping. Basically my doctor said for me to try not lifting patients (hoping my elbow will heal)...but as you all know...we often don't have those choices. I wear an elbow brace daily.

    My question is ...has anyone used that spray for tendonitis and/or take those pills they advertise for joints, tendons, bones etc....can't recall the name... Just want this pain to go away.

    Thanks so much!!
    •  
  2. 16 Comments

  3. by   scrubs70
    Whilst I can certainly sympathise with you as I suffer from severe Patella tendonitis, I am afraid I have not come across anything that really works either sorry
    Have also tried cortisone and anti inflammetry drugs as well as exploritory surgery but all to no avail, eventually had to give up playing professional volleyball, so any advice this thread brings will be accepted greatfully
    good luck with your elbow and finding a nursing job that doesn't involve lifting.......yeah right :d
  4. by   funnygirl_rn
    Hi Scrubs70. My neighbor (also a nurse) has patella tendonitis too. Has had surgery 2x....states he had some relief...but...eventually the pain came back. I feel for you. Sorry about volleyball. I do like sports too...but...walking is about it for me, now. Tendonitis anywhere...is terrible...and chronic pain is prevalent. Getting a good nights sleep would be great too...since my arm often wakes me up in pain. I only wish there was something that would let me regain back some of my ROM. My right arm is becoming distorted/bent due to lifting at work. Thanks for replying & good luck to you too.
  5. by   nowplayingEDRN
    Funnygirl,

    Were you refering to the use of glucosamine and condroitin suppliments? Glucosamine and condroitin are only usually effective in the relief of osteoarthritis symptoms and there have been some medical studies backing their use. I have never seen Vioxx or Glucosamine/Condroitin used for tendonitis. I suffered from DeQuervian's tendonitis, went through extensive PT for it, wore a brace, was injected once, took DayPro till my stomache could not handle the torment from the anti inflamatories. The only thing that gave me absolute relief was surgery to release the tendon. But I also found out that the tendonitis was only part of my troubles.....found out that I was running around for 4 months with a dislocated left thumb, compliments of a psych patient. After recon surgery on the thumb and the tendon release at the same time, I am no longer suffering with the tendonitis and mostly pain free in the thumb. Although I do have some loss of motion, I am back doing the job I love and that is what is most important to me. I would suggest seeing an orthopod, if you haven't already and if you have, you might want to get a second opinion from another one. Good luck with what ever you do.

    Christie

    PS: I also was prescribed a TENS unit to help alevieate(sp) the pain. Greatest thing since sliced bread!!
  6. by   funnygirl_rn
    Untamed Spirit,

    Hi. Yes, I was referring to the glucosamine...just couldn't remember what it was called, thank you. A pharmacist recommended that for me...however...I didn't purchase any. Glad that I didn't.

    My doctor had me on Bextra & Celebrex...weren't doing anything...so he suggested the Vioxx. Yes, anti-inflammatories tear up my stomach as well.

    So glad to hear that your surgery proved great results! I am taking your advise on seeing an orthopod....getting tired of dealing with the pain & seeing my ROM deteriorate. Wow...I will definitely inquire about the TENS unit as well...maybe that will help with me too. I am willing to try anything!!! Agh!!

    Oh, I did have an an x-ray & MRI...but of course it was negative.

    Really do appreciate your comments! Thanks again.
  7. by   MollyMo
    I have Achilles tendonitis. I had to give up volleyball( my primary source of exercise at the time). I went through therapy and all that which did help some. I did get relief with the glucosamine/chondroitin pills. They were just hard to swallow. What works best for me is to take calcium and magnesium before I go to bed. When I wake up in the morning I'm not stiff in my ankle. And I keep doing the exercises that I was taught in therapy. I hope you find some relief.
  8. by   debi87021
    Goodness, and i thought i was the only person falling apart. I have tendonitis in my right wrist (right handed) and in my left knee. Most of the time the wrist is tolerable, unless it has been a busy night at work, too much charting. And the knee just hurts all the time. I don't want surgery, so i pretty must deal. Sometimes it is worse than others, and i brace it (knee) and work like that. People look at me weird but at least i am there earning a living. I don't know bout drugs, but i think those topical creams you know, theragesic and such, work to a point. After work i apply some and prop the knee and ice or heat the wrist. Must admit though, i am getting tired of being in pain all the time.
  9. by   funnygirl_rn
    Originally posted by MollyMo
    I have Achilles tendonitis. I had to give up volleyball( my primary source of exercise at the time). I went through therapy and all that which did help some. I did get relief with the glucosamine/chondroitin pills. They were just hard to swallow. What works best for me is to take calcium and magnesium before I go to bed. When I wake up in the morning I'm not stiff in my ankle. And I keep doing the exercises that I was taught in therapy. I hope you find some relief.

    ** Hi Mollymo! I have a question regarding the calcium & magnesium...what strength do you take of both..& how many per day? I have heard some good things about magesium..relating to stiffness to joints. I would love to wake up without stiffness & pain! My doctor did suggest PT...and I need to call to make an appt, hopefully I will obtain some worthy exercises as well. Plus, I need to get an ortho appt as well.

    I too, can't play volley-ball anymore...and I don't roller blade very often...for fear...I will take a spill & cause more pain to my elbow (even though I wear a brace).

    I also feel like I am falling apart...due to repetitive movements & lifting heavy patients. Sure wish we had a "No lift" policy. Other countries have implemented this policy...wish the USA would. Good luck to everyone who has this condition.
    Last edit by funnygirl_rn on Apr 21, '03
  10. by   funnygirl_rn
    Originally posted by debi87021
    Goodness, and i thought i was the only person falling apart. I have tendonitis in my right wrist (right handed) and in my left knee. Most of the time the wrist is tolerable, unless it has been a busy night at work, too much charting. And the knee just hurts all the time. I don't want surgery, so i pretty must deal. Sometimes it is worse than others, and i brace it (knee) and work like that. People look at me weird but at least i am there earning a living. I don't know bout drugs, but i think those topical creams you know, theragesic and such, work to a point. After work i apply some and prop the knee and ice or heat the wrist. Must admit though, i am getting tired of being in pain all the time.
    ** I do the ice & heat too. I also get some relief from this blue gel (chiro cream) I use. Prior to work...I lather on the blue gel..then put on my elbow brace. Seems to help on days when I don't have a lot of heavy lifting.
  11. by   nowplayingEDRN
    Seeing as nurses tend to do a lot of repetetive motion type things and tendonitis being a repetetive motion injury...seems logical that nurses sustain some of these injuries. Funny, then TENS was recommended by PT and I went to my PCP and spoke with him. He inturned felt it would be better than long term use of antiinflamatories or narcotic pain relievers. The other type of doctor you may want to see is a physical medicine doctor to evaluate your injury. It may be that there is some sort of nerve involvemment, as well. I was refered to one after my orthopod had treated me and I had gone through PT after surgery. The physical med doc performed a EMG and nerve conduction studies...so a large portion of my pain was nerve related. Unfortunate for me, a potential problem from the surgery was nerve damage from positioning as well as nerve damage from going so long with the injury untreated. I ocassionally use a very low dose of Amitrypiline(sp) for the neropathy but the TENS unit by far has been the best for relieving the intense pain that does occur from time to time. Unfortunately MRIs and X-rays show little or nothing in the way of an injury. Again, I am here for your support and wish you all the best. I will say a prayer for you that you get some sort of resolution to the discomfort. Glad that I could help you in some small way.
  12. by   nurs4kids
    Funny,
    Back when I played racquetball alot, I had it something terrible. Golf has never bothered me, strangely enough.

    I tried everything back then..
    the only thing that "cured" it was rest..ie; I quit playing racquetball.
  13. by   funnygirl_rn
    Untamed Spirit & everyone....thanks so much for the much needed info. Hopefully one of these docs and/or tests will find what can be done. I hope surgery isn't one of the options...because I am not too keen on surgery.

    Nurs4kids....it used to work for me..by wearing my sling & just simply not using that arm for a few days...but, now nothing works. I am sorry you can no longer play racquet ball.

    Lizzie
  14. by   MollyMo
    Originally posted by funnygirl_rn
    ** Hi Mollymo! I have a question regarding the calcium & magnesium...what strength do you take of both..& how many per day? I have heard some good things about magesium..relating to stiffness to joints. I would love to wake up without stiffness & pain! My doctor did suggest PT...and I need to call to make an appt, hopefully I will obtain some worthy exercises as well. Plus, I need to get an ortho appt as well.

    I too, can't play volley-ball anymore...and I don't roller blade very often...for fear...I will take a spill & cause more pain to my elbow (even though I wear a brace).

    I also feel like I am falling apart...due to repetitive movements & lifting heavy patients. Sure wish we had a "No lift" policy. Other countries have implemented this policy...wish the USA would. Good luck to everyone who has this condition.

    I take 1200 mg of calcium and 400 mg magnesium daily. The best calcium I've found is at the Dollar General store. Rexall brand-$5 for 60 softgels. They are big but they go down easy. It's liquid calcium and vitamin D. Take 2 a day. They work very well for me. I've used several different brands of magnesium. I don't know that one is better than another.

close