Friday, 29 December. Cairns, Australia:
A family of four was spared possible death when a mattress caught fire, and their cat warned them of the danger.
"The cat was probably the best smoke alarm system," fire service spokesman Robert White-MacFarlane said. "The occupant was woken by the household cat which was scratching his face, alerting (him) to the ensuing dangers."
Once the pet's owner was up, he was able to wake the rest of the family, and get them outside to safety. There were apparently smoke alarms throughout the house, but the smoke had not saturated it enough to set them off.
Because of the cat's warning there was only minor damage to the home.
BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Cairns cat saves owners from fire