Bin Laden and Hussein link

  1. http://msnbc.com/news/905686.asp?0dm=C14QN

    This story is just developing....hope it bears out.

    Report: Iraq - bin Laden link found

    British newspaper says documents link al Qaida to Iraq


    LONDON, April 27-Britain's Sunday Telegraph newspaper said it had discovered documents showing Iraqi intelligence hosted an envoy from Osama bin Laden in 1998 and sought to meet the alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in person.


    THE FINDING, if verified, would appear to support Washington's assertion of links between ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein and bin Laden, one of the justifications for the U.S.-led war in Iraq.
    The paper said the documents, which its correspondent found in the wrecked headquarters of the Iraqi Mukhabarat intelligence service, showed Iraq brought a bin Laden aide to Baghdad in early 1998 from his former base in Sudan to arrange closer ties.
    Iraqi officials sought to have the envoy pass on a verbal message setting up a direct meeting with bin Laden, the paper said.
    The 1998 visit described in the documents would have taken place before bin Laden became a household name in the West, when Washington blamed him for the bombings of two U.S. embassies in Africa later that year.
    According to the Telegraph, bin Laden's name had been concealed in several places on the Iraqi documents with white correction fluid. Its correspondent scraped the fluid off with a razor to uncover the name.




    In one document quoted by the paper an Iraqi official wrote: "We suggest permission to call the Khartoum station (Iraq's intelligence office in Sudan) to facilitate the travel arrangements for the above-mentioned person to Iraq.
    "And that our body carry all the travel and hotel costs inside Iraq to gain the knowledge of the message from bin Laden and to convey to his envoy an oral message from us to bin Laden."
    A handwritten note on the same page said the letter had been passed on to the deputy director general of the intelligence service, recommending that he "bring the envoy to Iraq because we may find in this envoy a way to maintain contacts with Iraq."



    The documents do not make clear whether the hoped-for meeting between Iraqi officials and bin Laden took place.
    Before the war, Saddam's government repeatedly denied any links with bin Laden's al Qaida network.

    2003 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
    •  
  2. 54 Comments

  3. by   sbic56
    I saw this, but I have no opinion on it one way or the other as yet. It does indicate a glimmer of a possibility that there may have been an association between Iraqi officials and OBL, but I'd like to see something more pertinent than a possibility that they may have met 3 years before 9/11. So far it's pretty weak, but we'll see.
  4. by   jnette
    Will be interesting to find out more. I suppose many things are yet to be discovered. All in good time. Intersting days ahead, to be sure.
  5. by   fergus51
    Next thing you know journalists will find out that American intelligence officials were meeting with Bin Laden in the 90s....oh...wait a minute.....
    :imbar

    Seriously if this whole mess has taught me anything, it's to ignore the initial reports of everything. After the fertilizer is WMD story I have become warry.

    Edited to add: it was the 80-s and I should never have made a joke about it on this thread.
    Last edit by fergus51 on Apr 28, '03
  6. by   sbic56
    Originally posted by fergus51
    Next thing you know journalists will find out that American intelligence officials were meeting with Bin Laden in the 90s....oh...wait a minute.....
    :imbar



    And an excellent point, fergus.
  7. by   SharonH, RN
    Originally posted by fergus51
    Next thing you know journalists will find out that American intelligence officials were meeting with Bin Laden in the 90s....oh...wait a minute.....
    :imbar


    LMAO!! :chuckle
  8. by   WashYaHands
    Next thing you know journalists will find out that American intelligence officials were meeting with Bin Laden in the 90s....oh...wait a minute.....
    Actually, the US involvement with Bin Laden occured in the 80's, not the 90's.

    What did occur in the 90's was the World Trade Center basement bombing (2-26-93), which killed 6 and injured 1040 people. Militant Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman (arrested in 1995) and Ramzi Yousef (arrested in 1998) were members of Al Qaeda.

    August 7, 1998 Two truck bombs exploded near the US Embassies in Kenya and Tanzania killing 224 people and injuring 4500. Al Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden have been implicated.

    October 2000, the USS Cole was attacked by a small boat loaded with explosives. It blew up along side the USS Cole. 17 sailors were killed. Al Qaeda and Osama Bin Laden are responsible.

    Still laughing?

    Linda
  9. by   Mkue
    Good post Linda.

    Furball, I saw this report also , thank you for posting it. With so many terrorist camps found in Iraq, I wouldn't be surprised if this new document (s) turn out to be confirmed in the future.
  10. by   sbic56
    Linda,

    I see you miss the humor some of us see here. Certainly, nobody is making light of the attacks you mention. The US made a big blunder in it's foreign policy in the 80's by working with OBL. We were making light of how our gov't can and does make mistakes! It's funny because now the truth being that we did work with OBL seems so absurd to everyone, no doubt including US intelligence. I think especially because we are the world power, we should be able to express a little humility by being able to smile at our own vulnerability.
    Last edit by sbic56 on Apr 27, '03
  11. by   SharonH, RN
    Originally posted by sbic56
    Linda,

    I see you miss the humor some of us see here. Certainly, nobody is making light of the attacks you mention. The US made a big blunder in it's foreign policy in the 80's by working with OBL. We were making light of how our gov't can and does make mistakes! It's funny because now the truth being that we did work with OBL seems so absurd to everyone, no doubt including US intelligence. I think especially because we are the world power, we should be able to express a little humility by being able to smile at our own vulnerability.

    Thanks.
  12. by   molecule
    http://abcnews.go.com/sections/night...ow_030425.html
    the White House is starting to get to the root of the reason for the invasion..don't mess with the US; Iraq made the perfect target for a bold attack statement to show the US will fight terrorism. A big picture show to demonstrate power and 'democracy.'
    Yikes.
  13. by   SharonH, RN
    Originally posted by molecule
    http://abcnews.go.com/sections/night...ow_030425.html
    the White House is starting to get to the root of the reason for the invasion..don't mess with the US; Iraq made the perfect target for a bold attack statement to show the US will fight terrorism. A big picture show to demonstrate power and 'democracy.'
    Yikes.

    Yikes is right. From that article:


    Officials feared that young Arabs, angry about their lives and without hope, would always looking for someone to hate-and that someone would always be Israel and the United States


    So they thought that bombing Iraqi women and children would cure that anger, is that right? I see now..........


    Well based on the reports of protests from Iraq, that strategy seems to be working. *cough* We'll see. I hope they're right and I'm wrong.
  14. by   cwazycwissyRN
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Furball
    [B]http://msnbc.com/news/905686.asp?0dm=C14QN

    This story is just developing....hope it bears out.

    Report: Iraq - bin Laden link found


    I agree furball ....hope it bears out

close