Baby Cat Needs a Colectomy

  1. A year ago in February, my baby cat, who was then four years old, killed and ate something which caused a total mechanical obstruction of her colon. I did not know what she had done, until I got up one morning to go to work...and found her frantically trying to use her litter box. When she couldn't, she stepped out of it and promptly threw up all over the bathroom floor. I knew immediately that she had all the symptoms of an intestinal obstruction. I took her to the Vet, who found a huge obstructive mass in her colon. It took four days of IV's, Colace and enemas, before she finally passed the mass..which was filled with the bones and remnants of a rodent. I was presented with a $600.00 bill and told by the Vet that my cat now had acquired megacolon as a result, and would need to be on Colace and Propulsid for the rest of her life. I brought her home, and she did okay until the first of this year...and she became obstructed again. The Vet told me then that she needed a colectomy, but the closest vetinary specialist who does this type of surgery is 70 miles from where I live...and charges $3,000...half of which is due up front, before he will even touch her. Well, that might as well be $3 million, as there's no way I can come up with that kind of money, as I am trying to emerge from bankruptcy...and no one will refinance my house. And I can't get pet insurance, because she has a pre-existing condition.

    Last night, at 12:30, I woke up to the sound of my baby cat throwing up...again. I lay awake until almost 2:00, sick at heart with the realization that her condition is getting worse. I called out at work and took her back to the vet this morning. She's there, now, waiting for the vet to see her. And, as I wait for the vet's office to call me, I am angered and saddened that the destiny of either a sick animal or human has to be controlled by the Almighty Dollar.

    Sorry for the long vent, but I am tired and upset. You can't get attached to anything, anymore, because it costs too much...both financially and emotionally.
  2. Visit CseMgr1 profile page

    About CseMgr1

    Joined: Apr '02; Posts: 2,611; Likes: 940
    Assessment Nurse
    Specialty: 39 year(s) of experience in Case Management, Home Health, UM


  3. by   Gompers
    I'm so sorry that your kitty is having all these problems. I hope that they're wrong and that she can keep going just on her meds and maybe a special diet or something. It's so hard with our animals, as they depend on us so completely. So many people are quick to say, "Just put it to sleep," but if that was your family member you'd get the treatment no matter what the cost. For most of us, our animals ARE as much a family member as any human. I really hope it all works out okay. Take care and keep us updated.

  4. by   Averykat
    I'm so sorry, I really hope everything works out. Have you asked the vet if you could work out some sort of payment plan instead of having to come up with all of that money upfront?
  5. by   CseMgr1
    Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. My parents had a little rat terrier who was 13 years old when my Mother died. A year later, my father (who is now also deceased), and who was still devastated by her death, now had the heartbreaking task of having this little dog put to sleep, because she had become very ill with pancreatitis and would not respond to any treatment. This dog was his "baby", and he told me afterwords that as much as it hurt to have her put down, it hurt even worse to see her suffer.

    The situation with my cat is a little bit different, because she is otherwise young, healthy and happy. And what is even MORE frustrating is the fact that she could be cured....IF I could afford to have the surgery done, but I can't. I've gone online with one of the major schools of veterinary medicine here in my state, to find out if they have a program for providing specialized veterinary services at a lower cost as a part of their training for their vet students. I hope I will hear something back, for I don't even want to THINK about the alternative...
  6. by   CseMgr1
    Quote from Averykat
    I'm so sorry, I really hope everything works out. Have you asked the vet if you could work out some sort of payment plan instead of having to come up with all of that money upfront?
    The specialist has made it very clear to all his prospective clients that this is the way HE works...which is why I am trying to find out if a school of veterinary medicine has a referral program, for poor souls like me. =)
  7. by   CseMgr1
    I just got off the phone with the vet a few minutes ago. She told me that Baby Cat is "Very Sick" this time; that she's given her 300 cc of warm water enema with no results, and she is afraid to give her any more, for fear of killing her. I told her to give that cat some Lactulose; to try ANYTHING. She said that she would, and for me to come up there at 5:00, and we would talk about the outcome. Keep your fingers crossed.
  8. by   SmilingBluEyes
    wow that is really bad news ----I am very sorry. Hope they can help kitty out!
  9. by   nursedawn67
    Our pets are just like our children..I hope your "baby" gets well soon.
  10. by   gwenith
    I have my fingers crossed for you. A couple of years ago household insurance started advertising that they would include coverage of vet bills I took up the offer and have never looked back.

    Poor baby cat hope all ends well - keep us posted.
  11. by   CseMgr1
    Things do not look good. I went to the Animal Hospital to see Baby Cat at 5:00, and her Vet met me with the bad news: No results from the enemas or Lactulose. And as soon as I saw her in that cage, crying and miserable, I burst into tears, for it's just like the Vet told me: "Just imagine what she feels like, with all that mess in her GI tract, and with no where for it to go". She also reiterated the fact that she needed surgery, and with the little resources that I have access to, there was only so much she could do medically for her. She is going to give her sq IV fluids tonight in an effort to increase her hydration, which will hopefully give her the push to get her bowels to move. If this doesn't work, then I am going to have her euthanized this weekend. Enough is enough.
  12. by   SmilingBluEyes
    oh i am sorry, sorry ,sorry about all this. what can i say? i know how you feel. had to euthanize my 14 year old beagle just 6 weeks ago........

    ugh i am so sorry.
  13. by   plumrn
    But euthanasia is much more humane than her suffering much longer. I can only imagine... I am very sorry.
  14. by   nursedawn67
    I'm sorry to hear the baby isn't better, but you know you have to do what's best for her. And at this moment this is the best, she can't suffer anymore. Take care and ((HUGS))