Sewing--it doesn't save time or money. Or does it?Register Today!
- by linzjane88 Jul 25Okay, maybe I am just doing it wrong. I have long been interested in tapping into my inner June Cleaver. Since I got a pretty nifty sewing machine given to me I decided to try out making a few things. I had visions of being frugal and wearing my own hand made clothes that ACTUALLY fit my 5"9 body in a flattering way. Soon I would be making my girls dresses and suits for my husband....NOT!
I tried starting out with a bathrobe for my daughter. About 15 hours later I have the most hideous bathrobe one has ever seen. And it cost me 19$ just in fabric. (oh the feelings of bitterness when I went to Target and saw fuzzy girls robes on sale for $11.99).
What am I missing? I only shop clearance racks, so I rarely pay more than $20 for a dress. I picked up a few patterns for <2$ but still have yet to find how you can get fabric and notions for a reasonable price. I only have a Joann's around here, maybe thats my problem. They seem pretty overpriced.
- Jul 25 by herring_RNI wear the same clothes for decades, shop at thrift shops, and such.
My Mom and two sister ser well. (I sew it wrong and have to rip it and re do0
Sewing your own you can have a unique fashion by choosing your fabric and style to your own taste.
It takes talent and practice. Hiring someone to sew for you would be VERY expensive.Last edit by herring_RN on Jul 25
- Jul 26 by FuzzyI like to sew, to quilt and to do other handiwork. These are things that keep me sane. I see sewing as a "cheap" prozac. Yes I know prozac is generic now and is in Wal-Mart's $4 category. That being said I get more bang for my buck by doing this and other hobbies. Hit the thrift stores. Many of them have fabric and notions for a song.
- Aug 3 by tntrnI sew and sew and sew. Just about anything I can put under a presserfoot. I don't sew now to save money now, but years ago I did. I did knock off a Monique L'Huillier wedding gown for my DIL....saved her about $2300.
i made my own scrubs, too, because those pants made for men are horrible for women, and because I wanted pockets that would actually hold what I wanted to carry and I wanted them placed on my jacket where they would work for me.
Sewing for me is therapy.
- Aug 3 by herring_RNI know a man who makes his own scrubs with pockets like he wants. He has shirts for every holiday. I met his mother who taught him.
- Aug 21 by Tinker88I like taking old clothes and making new things with them. Sometimes I take old dresses and make purses or aprons!
- Sep 2 by imintroubleIt's now time for my yearly journey to the land of sewing.
Every year til my kids were teenagers, I'd sew at least one fabulous princess gown. One year a daughter was Xena. That was priceless.
Now I sew for my granddaughter. Once a year.
Thank goodness she's a princess girl. Another ballgown.