To AKY, with loveRegister Today!
- by rdsxfnrn Oct 7Good Evening,
I just wanted to tell you that I am thinking about you, as are many others. You always have a kind word and a shoulder for me when I need it. You are always there to give advice or share a laugh or two.
Please know that even if you are physically by yourself, you are not alone. I (we) are walking this journey with you.
I am unsure where we stand in this battle, but please know I am praying for you and SO.
I was going to send a PM but I decided to make this public as I know many feel the same sentiment. Please share updates when you are able.
- Oct 7 by VivaLasViejasWhat a lovely idea for a thread. AKY is one of my favorite people here as well. I know that what that dear lady has to stand, the good Lord gives her the strength to stand, but there's no such thing as too much support. Bless you rdsxfnrn for starting this thread!
- Oct 7 by sharpeimom((((((AKY))))) We're still praying for you two. Your AN and FB families are here for you and to offer prayers and, as you need us, comfort and support. Close your eyes and feel our arms around you as we support and hold you up when you need it.
We're here and love you.
- Oct 8 by aknottedyarnThank you so much. I am so blessed to have all of you in my life. This past week has been difficult. It has been made much easier because I have you in my life. Five years ago I was more active on the nursing side of AN and found myself all alone in strange hospitals with no one I knew when my DH became ill. I still recall reaching out to people here and finding help and support. After his death I kept coming back and became friends with a few of you. Our friendships have grown over these five years. This time when my SO suddenly had seizures and was placed on a vent I knew where to go. Yes, I do have friends IRL who support me the best they can. None are nurses and none have any idea about what is happening and of course none were there 5 years ago so they cannot understand that this is the second time I have sat next to a vent and watched as a stroke stole at least part of my world.
Today I got to speak with the neurologist. He reminds me of Oliver Sacks, one of my favorite authors. He is honest, does not sugar coat and still gives hope. He feels that much of the lethargy is due to over use of Valium. The plan is that if he can pass testing in the morning he can get off the vent. I feel sure he will be able to do this. There is no reason to sedate him now. Tomorrow night one of our friends is going to stay with him. I will feel better that he is not alone that first night off the vent in case he has problems clearing some of the secretions. Obviously long term is rehab. It is in the cerebellar region so there is much work to be done. I know all of you will be here when I have those melt downs, same as you always have been.
So that is the update on his progress. I am doing the best I can with basics of eating and sleeping. My DSon invited me to a special bkft in the morning. He wears many hats in his job. One is the charity his company provides. This year he got his company to support the charity I that support. He found a few others in the company who also volunteered for this same charity and together they got a large donation and a great deal of work done for our local branch. The breakfast celebrates his and others contributions. I am his "date" and certainly a very proud mom to have such a wonderful son. It certainly comes at a good time to keep some balance in my life.
Again, thank you. I am humbled by your outreach. It feels good to not be alone.
- Oct 8 by Sabby_NCWhat a lovely thread for you AKY, you are never alone when you have kindred spirits sending prayers and healing thoughts to you both.
Thank you for the update and know we are here for you.
Yes you have an amazing son and I do hope you get to enjoy your breakfast.
So pleased you will have some one sitting with Jim so you can get some beneficial sleep.
God bless you always.
- Oct 8 by aknottedyarnHe is much more lethargic today. So, cont. on vent. Has sl. temp. I think he has another clot in other arm but they are culturing everything. I left to do some work at the office and he did rouse a bit for his daughter. People have been so kind to me. Our one friend who was going to sit with him tonight came to be with me at work and just held me. I had to go to the bank and the manager was very helpful.
I have to believe he is allowing his body to heal and I do know he is able to think clearly. I have been able to ask complex questions in ways he can nod yes or no and he is clear in his thinking.
I thank God all of you are here. There are so few who can speak the same language and understand what he is going through. My friends IRL try but they do not have a clue about what is actually happening to him.
I will try to keep you updated.